D&D 5E Why D&D Can't Have a Good Video Game

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I never really got far into pillars of eternity, there were some systems I didn't like in the game. Kingmaker is just pathfinder but with the benefit of not having to remember to add every single little modifier because the game does it for you. I'm finding playing is interesting because I have to relearn how the pathfinder system works.

There are a few issues with the game that are getting worked on by the development team. I had one the other day where I levelled up my wizard main and then when I levelled up the bard companion I was also able to choose spells for her from the wizard spell list.

Valetudo

Explorer
Kingdom of alumar has a much better combat system than witcher 3. Witcher is just so deep in every other area. Honestly dragon age has a better combat system than witcher. I dont really think diablo style games are comparable. Alot less story and more focused on gear grinding.

Valetudo

Explorer
I never really got far into pillars of eternity, there were some systems I didn't like in the game. Kingmaker is just pathfinder but with the benefit of not having to remember to add every single little modifier because the game does it for you. I'm finding playing is interesting because I have to relearn how the pathfinder system works.

There are a few issues with the game that are getting worked on by the development team. I had one the other day where I levelled up my wizard main and then when I levelled up the bard companion I was also able to choose spells for her from the wizard spell list.
Are you talking about beta or the full release? Kingmaker looks interesting, but Im worried its gonna be a bugfest.

Ganymede81

First Post
There isn't a good D&D game because those games focus far too much on emulating the D&D rules set as opposed to creating engaging stories and memorable encounters.

Reskin a Mass Effect or an Arkham City into the D&D world and I'd be a happy camper; I don't need an awkward, turn based, top-down slog in order for something to be D&D.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Are you talking about beta or the full release? Kingmaker looks interesting, but Im worried its gonna be a bugfest.
Full release, they are constantly patching it up so it is definitely getting better. It is playable now, however, if want it to be less buggy then give it a few weeks.

There isn't a good D&D game because those games focus far too much on emulating the D&D rules set as opposed to creating engaging stories and memorable encounters.

Reskin a Mass Effect or an Arkham City into the D&D world and I'd be a happy camper; I don't need an awkward, turn based, top-down slog in order for something to be D&D.

Well, most of the D&D games that were considered the best (according to surveys) are the ones that follow the D&D rules most closely, so opinions differ on that.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester

Well, most of the D&D games that were considered the best (according to surveys) are the ones that follow the D&D rules most closely, so opinions differ on that.

I think there is room for quite a few different D&D games. The Baldur's Gate route is a beloved route, but I'd also play a MOBA or Overwatch style game where you choose a "hero" that has just a few class specific abilities as loadouts and brawl.

I'd love to to choose Minsc and kick the crap out of Drizzt for example.

Derren

Hero

Interesting, considering Pathfinder stays pretty close to the rules. Also the good D&D games (Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, the Gold Box games) also were close to the PnP rules.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I like the games that stick fairly close to the rules since it lets me play DnD when I otherwise can't play. I loved the old Baldur's gate and icewind dale games. Torment, neverwinter nights 1 & 2 and now pathfinder kingmaker really help me scratch that DnD itch.

gyor

Legend

And yet they keep giving the licences to companies that think they know better and put out games that are absolutely nothing like D&D. It's so frustrating.

It took me forever to download Kingmaker, bad internet connection, but it's been ages since I had this much fun playing a an RPG video game (for fantasy 4x I do love Age of Wonders III), bugs and all.

It's got one of the best character creation systems of any game I've played, I mean most of the archetypes so radically change the game play of classes as as to really be related classes, and then there are feats, domains,
deities, bloodlines, prestige classes, multiclassing, weapon choice, spell choice, and so on, there is so many options for building both the PC, companions and mercs, that you can have such radically different characters. I mean Octivia could go in the direction the game nudges her towards arcane tricksers, or pure transmuter or pure rogue, or I thought about making her become a Vivisectionist, she has high Intel, dex, finesse feat, and sneak attack already, or maybe a Eldrich Archer Magus. Just an example. I did make the halfling bard a Sylvan Sorcerer, and the Undead Elf Inquisitor a Blight Druid, and for mercs I made a Angelkin (Angel Aasmir) Serpent Blooded Eldrich Scion Magus, an Animal/Water Domain Eccruithruigist Cleric Lawbringer (Archon Aasimar), and a Musetouched (Azata/Eladarin Aasimar) Stormwarden Ranger. My PC is a Plumekith (Garuda Aasimar, get to cast invisiblity once per day), and has SLA Summon Monster II 8 times a day, soon to be 9, copy cat SLA 8 times per day, 5 first level spontaneous casting slots, can use a Rapier with Finesse feat, and has a necklace that allows him to cast color spray 3 times per day! By 17th level his Summon Monster 9 will allow him to summon Deva Angels, Azata Ghaele, and Rocs! Over 12 times a day. Monster Tactician that has 18 Dex, 8 Strength, 10 Con, 10 Charisma, 20 Wisdom, for stats right now.

And then I look at what 5e has to offer for video games and I'm filled with bitter disappointment, dark bitter disappointment because none of them is anything like D&D 5e, it's bitterly disappointing. None have meaningful character creation, one is really an emulation of 4e and a poor one at that, another failed out right and had game mechanics that were disappointingly not 5e. Another is an idle game, another is I don't know what to call it aside from disappointing.

And yet Pathfinder gets the glorious Kingmaker which doesn't just become of the best RPGs I've ever played, its even manages to be a compelling 4x style game as well without compromising it's RPG heart and soul.

A Kingmaker game is what 5e deserves, instead it gets what ever low effort company that is willing to throw money at WotC. It's annoying and infuriating. Although at least Ravnica will have it's MtG games.

WotC needs to do better.

Remove ads