D&D 5E Official D&D Basic Discussion Thread

drjones

Explorer
Now the DM does have the option to ask the group to not be Richards, but I do understand why some would prefer the ability to be worded differently so the DM doesn't have to be a Richard either.

This was explicitly addressed by Mearls in the Q and A, the game is not being written for theorycrafters who want desperately to break it or people who want to argue on the internet about hypotheticals. It is written for players and DMs who play it to have fun. Reasonable, average players will have no problem with this and not using it in a non-intuitive way. To heck with everyone else.

This bug only exists between the character sheet and the chair. Someone at the table who insisted on making a big deal about would not be someone I would want to hang out with let alone spend a lot of time and effort playing games with. Consider it a blessing, it identifies min/maxing pedantic rules lawyers so you can avoid them.

Li Shenron

Legend
How will it work when the PHB comes out if some players want to use feats, and some don't? Will adventures assume them?

I don't think it's actually possible for an adventure to "assume" feats. There will be plenty of feats anyway, so how the hell the adventure designers are going to design their adventures differently by assuming feats are used?

Please, no. Let's not errata every questionable line of text this edition. Let's keep errata to a minimum and only use it when it's actually important. The endless errata train is a highly negative thing, and for something where the dm can simply rule how it works in his game, I really think errata is... excessive.

To repeat: Please, no errata except to fix things that badly need fixing.

This is a good point, but I wouldn't even call those "errata". Errata-corrige are corrections to the text, not clarifications, so those would rather be FAQs or "Sage advice".

I would be intrigued anyway if WotC decided not to provide official rulings for ambiguous situations. I understand the potential problem with organized play (which is a big part of 5e), but still I wouldn't dislike if they forced each DM/group to make their own ruling on certain things, especially corner cases and rarely coming-up combinations.

The problem some see isn't with hit dice -- it's with other things that recover after a short rest and can be immediately used for benefit and then there should be nothing preventing characters from taking another short rest. The poster child is the Fighter healing ability Second Wind.

So Fighters can recover all hit points without resorting to using hit dice using (multiple) short rests.

More generally, I think the problem is with healing and other unbounded replenishment abilities (there might be none at the moment).

For example, take a look at Arcane Recovery: it is not unbounded because it specifically says "once per day" even if it based on a short-rest. So no problem here. But if it didn't say so, a Wizard could just take additional short rests until regaining all her spells slots, and I'm sure there will be arguments about this!

However, while in theory unlimited self-healing sounds like a problem, in practice it depends on how the DM runs the adventures. I still don't have a clear opinion on this, but while a badly wounded Fighter might force the party to stop for N hours to regain Nd10 hp, he might also just call it a day and take a long rest, hence regaining all hp.

At the same time, as @mips says, I don't think this is the intent of Second Wind. I don't think it's meant to represent regenerating wounds but rather ignoring some damage you just took during the current combat. That's why it says "on your turn". IIRC in the playtest it required you to take an action i.e. forgo your attacks for a round, while in Basic it's more conveniently a bonus action. Still, it feels to me this is supposed to work only during combat, not afterwards (the short rest is to reset the ability, not to use it).

Maybe I'm wrong, but if this is the intent, then the current design is not good. I would like to HR this so that it only heals damage taken during the current (or just ended) encounter.

Nagol

Unimportant
I don't currently remember if Fey step was an encounter power or not, so my honest answer is "maybe".
However, we're discussing Second Wind and how it *could* be interpreted.
I gave you my way, yours appears to be different and that's okay. If I play in your game and you say all the things that I would prevent are okay, then that's your game and I'll either play that way or not play. Your game, your rules.
I would just ask that, if you play in my game, you give me the same courtesies and play the rules as *I* do.

Fey Step is an encounter power. I'm just pointing out either your interpretation is more strict than I've seen presented (encounter powers can *only* be used during "encounter time" whatever that may mean) or all encounter powers are not the same depending on how you want to rule individual cases.

As for courtesy, I can assure you I would either use your rulings or simply not play just as I ask my players to do.

mips42

Adventurer
Fey Step is an encounter power. I'm just pointing out either your interpretation is more strict than I've seen presented (encounter powers can *only* be used during "encounter time" whatever that may mean) or all encounter powers are not the same depending on how you want to rule individual cases.

As for courtesy, I can assure you I would either use your rulings or simply not play just as I ask my players to do.

Fey Step: Yep, previous post updated.
More strict: Okay, maybe.
Courtesy. Exactly. Rule Zero, man.

For what it's worth, I'd like to see a clarification as well to see if I'm right or wrong. Hopefully one will show up in v0.2 of Basic.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
As a physicist who has gamed mostly with other physicists, I can assure you all that the correct hand-wavey answer to this issue is "boundary conditions" and "to first order" followed by a hard stare. :)

Relevant details for the unconvinced might include non-spherical sources, locally-approximate plane waves, different dissipation/dispersion relations for longitudinal vs. transverse propagation, and flippin' magic.
Or else we can fall back on the all time favorite "The problem is ill-posed..." :)

P.S.
Also a physicist who has gamed with a bunch of physicist and engineers...

Venthrac

First Post
Couple of changes I noticed:

The Search skill was removed from the game.

Also, all classes now seem to have a minimum proficiency bonus of +2, whereas in the final playtest packet, they generally began with a +1.

The Hill Dwarf sub-race no longer gains +1 Strength, but instead gains +1 Wisdom. The Mountain Dwarf sub-race no longer gains +1 Wisdom, but instead gains +2 Strength.

Zardnaar

Legend
Couple of changes I noticed:

The Search skill was removed from the game.

Also, all classes now seem to have a minimum proficiency bonus of +2, whereas in the final playtest packet, they generally began with a +1.

The Hill Dwarf sub-race no longer gains +1 Strength, but instead gains +1 Wisdom. The Mountain Dwarf sub-race no longer gains +1 Wisdom, but instead gains +2 Strength.

The races are very good, it is hard to say what one is the best/worst although they all seem to have a role designed for them.

Dausuul

Legend
The races are very good, it is hard to say what one is the best/worst although they all seem to have a role designed for them.
All races have had their abilities substantially beefed up compared to earlier editions, but I think that once the PHB is released, humans will emerge as the standout race, for much the same reason they did in 3E: Bonus feat plus bonus skill = win.

I approve of this, since I prefer the party to reflect a human-centric world, but others may disagree.

Remove ads