• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Creature Catalog 3.5 Overhaul Project

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
here's the original info, for reference:

FUNGUS HULKS
Centuries ago, the residual energies left over from Keraptis’s bid for immortality combined with the volcanic gases and the unusual fungi in the lava tubes. The results were the sentient, free-roaming fungoids known as fungus hulks.
From a distance, a fungus hulk resembles a bulky, hunchbacked humanoid wearing a concealing cloak. Closer inspection, however, reveals a fibrous, spore-bearing mass, surmounted by a head-shaped puffball suffused with sticky filaments.
By absorbing dissolved limestone into its outer surface, the fungus hulk can harden its carapace to resist blows more effectively. Similarly, it consciously incorporates daggerlike pieces of obsidian into its “fingertips” to use as claws. A putrid fungal byproduct constantly seeps from these junctures, staining the obsidian shards violet. Following any melee in which the fungus hulk scores damage, each victim must make two successful saving throws vs. paralyzation to avoid the deadly effects of this substance. Those who fail one saving throw contract a horrid rotting disease, losing half their remaining hit points over the next 4 rounds. Two failures indicate the rot is more virulent, causing death in 6 rounds unless a cure disease spell is applied. Even then, however, the victim still loses a random extremity to the rot. A vegetable or fungoid creature injured by a fungus hulk must make a successful saving throw vs. death magic after the melee or suffer ld10 additional points of damage. Fungus hulks are immune to normal fire, sleep, charm, hold, and other mind-affecting spells, and they suffer only half damage from magical fire.
Fungus hulks constantly move through the lava tubes below White Plume Mountain in search of their “god.” From time to time, they agree to serve a powerful leader, but they are fickle in their service and easily agitated to violence.

Fungus hulk: AC 1 (limestone carapace); MV 9; HD 6+6, hp 30; THACO 13; #AT 2 (claw/claw); Dmg ld4+5/ld4+5; SA violet touch; SD immunities; SZ M (6’ tall); ML steady (12); Int low (5); AL NE; XP 3,000.
Special Abilities: SA-touch inflicts rotting disease with a successful hit (victim must make two successful saving throws vs. paralyzation or become afflicted, losing half of remaining hit points in 4 rounds with one failure or dying in 6 rounds with two failures; victims who receive a cure disease avoid death but lose a random extremity); SD-immune to normal fire, sleep, charm, hold, and other mind-affecting spells; half damage from magical fire.

Shade

Monster Junkie
A bulky, hunchbacked humanoid wearing a concealing cloak moves closer. As it draws within 20 feet, it becomes apparent that it is no humanoid. Instead, it appears to be a spore-bearing mass, surmounted by a head-shaped puffball, from which protrude sticky filaments. Its carapace appears to be limestone, and its “hands” end in dagger-like obsidian claws, covered in a violet-colored liquid that oozes from the creature's body.

Tzeentch

First Post
BOZ said:
here's the original info, for reference:
Following any melee in which the fungus hulk scores damage, each victim must make two successful saving throws vs. paralyzation to avoid the deadly effects of this substance. Those who fail one saving throw contract a horrid rotting disease, losing half their remaining hit points over the next 4 rounds. Two failures indicate the rot is more virulent, causing death in 6 rounds unless a cure disease spell is applied. Even then, however, the victim still loses a random extremity to the rot.
-- That's just insane translated to 3.5. Even epic monsters don't have poison or disease that can do that much damage ;)
-- It should be a disease attack, and toned down a lot. I suggest:

Disease (Ex): A creature hit by a fungus hulk claw attack must succeed on a DC 14 Fortitude save or be infected with a vile disease known as violet death. The incubation period is 1 minute, and the disease deals 1d6 points of Constition damage. The victim must make two successful Fortitude saving throws in a row to recover. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Or maybe:

Disease (Ex): Violet death—claw, Fortitude DC 14, incubation period 1 minute, damage 1d6 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Fire resistance probably needs to be toned way down (compare to the Shambling Mound) to either 5 or 10 at most.

It has 9 skill ranks. Suggest it go to boosting Listen by a point.

The racial Hide bonus needs to be toned down a lot (compare to most critters in the MM, notably the Shambling Mounds, Otyughs, etc.). Suggest reducing to +8

Suggest removing the racial bonuses to the other three skills. It really doesn't need them as it can get the listed ranks without bonuses.

Instead of special quality "plant" isn't that "plant qualities"?

As far as feats, maybe Ability Focus (disease), Weapon Focus (claws) and .... something else?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
also, it now has 3 feats, and 9 skill ranks. i think it might be a good idea to remove those racial bonuses since the only reason you would have them is because plants did not get skills previously. ;) however, the hide bonus is a circumstance bonus and should remain.

Edit: duh, that's what i get for not hitting "refresh"...

Last edited:

Tzeentch

First Post
BOZ said:
also, it now has 3 feats, and 9 skill ranks. i think it might be a good idea to remove those racial bonuses since the only reason you would have them is because plants did not get skills previously. ;) however, the hide bonus is a circumstance bonus and should remain.
--Circumstance bonus? It's not spelled out that way.
-- Rechecking MM, I see the Shambling Mound in there has +12 racial bonus. So I retract my complaint ;)

Tzeentch

First Post
BTW what languages do they speak or understand? They can follow orders, so they presumably are more adept at language then Shambling Mounds (who have no language listed)

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd suggest that fungus hulks speak Common. [Assuming that was Keraptis' primary language].

Since we missed the languages on prior conversions, here are some suggestions:

Rappers speak Common and Dwarven.

An iron man cannot speak or make any vocal noise, nor does it have any distinguishable odor.

Colchiln speak either Abyssal or Infernal.

A tyrg cannot speak, but understands Common.

A molyedeus speaks Abyssal, Celestial, and Draconic.

Gacholoths speak Abyssal, Common, Draconic, and Infernal.

Kerzit speaks Abyssal, Celestial, and Draconic.

A nogra cannot speak, but understands Common.

A dharculus speaks ?.

A berbalang speaks Common and Abyssal.

Elder orbs speak the language of Beholders, Common, and Undercommon.

An astral energy monster cannot speak, but understands Common.

A hive mother speaks the language of Beholders, Common, and Undercommon.

A skuz speaks Common, Elven and Sylvan.

A nic’Epona speaks Celestial, Common, and Sylvan.

Lock lurkers cannot speak, but understands Common.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
eew, i'll go back and edit some of those when i get the time. ;) does every single monster that speaks have a language list in the MM?

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
eew, i'll go back and edit some of those when i get the time. ;) does every single monster that speaks have a language list in the MM?

You'd be surprised of how many that do. Most that do not are part of a greater group, like demons, eladrins, etc., where their "overview" entry lists it instead.

The newer 3.5 books, like Draconomicon and BOED list languages for every monster (except for swarms in the BOED). They even go out of their way to mention if creatures can't speak a language.

I'm a bit of a stickler on this, as when we played we constantly were frustrated with the 3E MM for the lack of languages.

It's up to you if you want to add it or not, I just figured I'd be helpful. ;)

Remove ads