Wizardru's Story Hour (updated 11/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zad

First Post
Recognizing there are some folks who might possibly be curious, and I suppose partly because I feel like sharing the monstrosity I created, I'll share the mechanics of it. (Note that this was created with the notion of our house-variant of the Arcane Archer class, a.k.a. the Nifft variant.) This bow was designed on some level as a weapon of war to defend Celene against invaders.

Dawnfire, Guardian of Celene
In the hands of most wielders, Dawnfire acts like a +2 mighty composite longbow. However Dawnfire was made for the Elven Champions and in the hands of such a wielder, its full power becomes apparent. It is a +8 mighty composite longbow. The strength bonus adjusts to fit the wielder. It bestows +15 to spot checks, as well as See Invisible, and Protection from Evil.

In addition, the wielder can use the following spell-like powers from the bow. Each use consumes the listed charges. The bow has 21 charges and the charges are refreshed each day at dawn. To use each effect, the wielder fires an arrow to deliver the spell and must hit the target with a normal attack. (The arrow delivers normal damage in addition to the spell effect.) If the attack misses, resolve area spells with grenade rules.

Ray of Enfeeblement (empowered) - (1d6+5)*1.5 strength drain, 10th level caster, 1 charge
Fireball - 10d6, 10th level caster, 1 charge (DC 20 reflex)
Greater Dispel Magic - 20th level caster (+20 to check), 2 charges
Chain Lightning - 20d6 primary target, 20th level caster, 2 charges (DC 25)
Polar Ray - 20d6, 20th level caster, 3 charges
Delayed Blast Fireball - 20d6, 20th level caster, 3 charges (DC 25)

Note: The Arcane Archer may use her Penetrating Arrow ability to overcome SR for these spell effects.

The arcane archer may also use bow charges to support the Arcane Shot ability. Each charge used this way adds +1 to hit and +1d6 damage to the next attack. This cannot be used in a round in which a spell effect from the bow is used.

Hardness:36
Hit points:90

Appearance: The bow is made of a solid ash staff which in fact was donated by the First Ash. The wood has not been cut, shaved or sanded, but instead has been "encouraged" in the elven way into the shape needed with two growths of wood intertwining along each limb. The wood is a rich gold color. Inlaid into the surface, again without any visible cutting, is delicate elven scrollwork. The color will vary from the color red sunrise to the blue-white of a morning frost to the purple-silver of a stroke of lightning from a summer storm, depending on the angle of the viewer. The string looks as if it was fashioned from from moonlight and dew, looping around the ends of the bow without any apparent knot.

Last edited:

WizarDru

Adventurer
rigur said:
I would like to thank both players and DM for an excellent story. Keep up the good work and keep on playing. Your story hour now belong to my personal list of storyhour favourites which also includes Sepulchrave, Piratecat, Sagiro, Nemmerle, Wulf and Destan. You are in good company.
Thank you for the kind words. They mean a lot to us, I can assure you. Zad works quite hard at the story hour, and I think it shows (though I sometimes thinks he's too critical of his own writing).

For those who crave an insight in to how this particular session was played out, here's how it worked: essentially, this was primarily a talking session. By design, there was to be no combat, and it was dedicated mostly to the PCs wrapping up loose ends, preparing for upcoming storylines (or the termination of them) and to generally have a relaxing session, in the absence of a player or two. Any Ninja Gaiden or SSX 3 that was played in the meantime was purely coincidental. :)

My general style of DMing has become more freeform as play has reached higher levels. This is because of the range of power available to such players, and the clever nature of the Meepites in particular. I generally know where they're going to go or what they're going to do, but no plan survives an encounter with the enemy, theirs or mine. One could say that of the campaign as a whole.

It can be ironic how a shorter session can generate more material that one that may run three times as long, but some things don't necessarily translate as well. This session was relevant in that the players are now officially getting as many good answers to old questions as not, allowing them to catch up with all the events around them. The days of their being tottally in the dark are behind them.

Now they're only halfways in the dark.

Thanks, again.

pogre

Legend
Argent Silvermage said:
Scorch DMed a mega module tonight. a fun time was had by all. It was nice to play a first level character for a change.

[Hijack for Scorch]Hey Scorch, Hope things went well with LCoB! I cannot find your e-mail so I thought I would give you a heads up: There are a couple of major errors on the maps in the module and some huge blunders in a couple of stat blocks. One so much so it is the difference between CR9 and CR4! Be sure to check the errata at Necromancer's site. There are a couple of doors missing from the map on page 112/113 that can make the adventure a whole lot more challenging!

My apologies for the hijack guys, but I assume Zad with his new found moderator powers can delete this with no trouble.[/Hijack]

What the heck - count it as a BUMP of this awesome SH!

WizarDru

Adventurer
Equinox: Prelude

Windfall glanced at the Grove of Summer with approval. It was good. It had to be.

The druid scanned the assembled servants of the green. Representatives had come from the Gnarley Forest and the welkwood. From the Crystalmists and the Barrier Peaks. From the Blasted Lands and the Jungles of Amideo. A contentious, sometimes angry lot of independent-minded guardians. Fights had been few, but this many of his kind in one location would incites such things. It was the way of nature.

Not all were so disinclined, of course. Some chose passion and love, and displayed it openly, with no shame. Their couplings could be casual or committed, but always like a rainstorm. Old partners and new explorers both were to be found here, and few even noticed or paid scarce attention to such open displays. It was their way.

"So few have come, brother?" It was the voice of White Rose. He turned to regard her lovely form, plainly sexual even as drabbly clothed as she was in robes of brown wool. She was one of the new council, just as he. He nodded in reply.

"It would seem so. Many of our kind wait to see what will happen here. Look in that tree there, and there."

She followed his pointing gesture, gazing at the treeline. He could see the scanning in her trained eyes, the eyes of a hunter. From her frown, he knew she saw them.

"Sticklings? Companions? Watchers? Is this how they assemble to choose the fate of our faith?" Her voice contained undisguised disdain. White Rose was, in all things, immediate and honest.

"There is some wisdom in such matters," Windfall replied. "We still live with the fear. If too many of us gather, we might be wiped out. It would be reckless of us all to join, even for an event as important as this. Those who need to have been informed, have been. Those who have been summoned will heed our call. A new Grand Druid will be chosen."

"You sound very sure."

"I am not."

"You are an exceptional liar, then."

"I am, indeed," he conceded, chuckling. "But it is no lie...they will come. And they will be tested. I only hope our tests are challenging enough for such as they."

"Are they truly so powerful? The Brandybuck was accomplished, I had heard, but just that. It is the Barrow King or Thorn that I fear."

Windfall considered trying to explain to White Rose what he had seen of Bolo at the elf-Queen's halls. The palplable aura of elemental power that he casually, perhaps even unknowningly, possessed. As he sought a way to explain it, the telltale sound of hooves on the hard earth signalled the approach of Master Ashbury.

"Windfall speaks true, child. Bolo may have been inexperienced once, but he is well beyond what you may have once heard, now. He bears the mark of Dydd." White Rose bowed in deference to the centaur, as Windfall himself did. The burly man-horse gazed down at them with amusement. "You need show no deferrence to me. I am but a servant of the green, as are you," he gently chided.

"I do not serve the Green Man, nor guard the the World Tree, Master."

"YOUR grove is no less important than mine, boy. All of them are important, these days. Now more than ever, with the unliving plague to the south, and the contagion to the north. Now, more than ever, we need every grove if the world is to survive."

"But what of the Barrow King , or Thorn? They are terrible in their fury, but perhaps they have the right of it. Perhaps it is time we marched to war, Master Ashbury."

"If they prove themselves worthy, then march we may, girl. March we may. But we are not campaigners, organized armies. We are the thundercloud, the hurricane, the forest fire. They will learn to fear us, if we unleash our rage upon them."

"And what will Markus do?" came a new voice, low and raspy, like a hoarse whisper.

"Markus will do whatever Markus pleases, I suppose, friend Certimo. I could not say for sure. He keeps his own counsel, sometimes. I think he would have us turn our backs on the civilized world, and fortify against the coming battles."

Windfall regarded the Master Ashbury's guardian ranger, a tiefling wrapped in scarves, twin war-sickles slung across his back. Lithe, muscular and tense, he was a strung bow, waiting to release his energy. His eyes scanned in ever direction, searching for trouble. Only his red eyes and horns were visible over the scarves covering his face. For all of his fearsome appearance, Certimo was a good man...but violently protective of his master.

"You may be right, Windfall. You may be right. How many tests will there be?"

"I am sworn not to speak of it, Master."

"Good for you. I merely wished to make sure of it."

"Yes, Master. Soon, we will reveal the tests. In but a matter of hours, everyone shall know."

Windfall cast his gaze to the sky, and stared at the sun. It would not be so long now. He felt White Rose grab his arm.

"All this waiting is boring. Stop this nonsensical sulking, Windfall. It ill becomes you. You are more comley than ugly, if less than handsome. Come with me now and make love to me under the sky, while we have time to waste. Good Day to you, Master Ashbury. Certimo."

While the Master laughed, White Rose dragged Certimo away to a bed of soft clover beneath a beech tree. Windfall glanced at the Grove of Summer with approval. It was good. It had to be.

Then White Rose pulled him to the ground, and he thought of other things, for a time.

Last edited:

Zad

First Post
Part III

(Reader’s note: Unlike most entries, this is not an entry in Kayleigh’s journal, since she was not present and has no knowledge of these events. Indeed few outside the druidic faith ever will.)

Bolo puttered quietly about the grove, enjoying the tranquil moments that the last weeks had brought. To the outside observer, he was doing nothing different from any other druid – tending plants and animals, and seeing to the welfare of the grove and all its inhabitants.

But the truth is he was doing something entirely different. He was waiting.

Waiting for the time of the testing. Waiting for the moment when the few remaining druids of the world would chose who would lead the shattered remnants of their faith. Waiting for the time when he would have to chose – did he want to be the one?

In time, a small animal arrived with a message telling him when and where he would be collected. Only the new council knew the location where the testing would be conducted, and so one of them would come for him. The message said to give careful consideration to your spell preparation for the tests would be to determine who has mastered all the talents of the druids.

At the appointed hour, Windfall arrived. He was genuinely glad to see Bolo, although propriety forced him to at least attempt to appear impartial. The two exchanged their greetings, and in a moment, stepped into a tree and were flung across Oerth.

The pair emerged on a snow-capped hillside. To the southeast was a vast mountain range, and to the north a frozen ocean. The air was bitter cold, and there was no doubt that this was as far north as mankind walked. In a small gulley below, the air was artificially warmer and the icy cold wind was reduced to a crisp breeze. Dozens of druids loitered below. Some discussed, some argued, some of them just waited, and others helped to build several large stacks of wood to be used as bonfires. In total, perhaps four score druids were in attendance personally, while in the brush small animals waited and observed on behalf of some other party.

Bolo nearly jumped a foot when Certimo appeared from his hiding place and greeted him warmly. The three made their way down to the center of the gully, and hushed whispers accompanied his passing. Before any other drew near, Windfall whispered to Bolo “Great things will be decided today. As a member of the new council, I am impartial and will show you no favoritism in these proceedings. But know this – I hope that you win.”

Bolo felt a little warmer with that vote of confidence, but in moments other druids were clustered around to greet him, or in some cases argue with him.

It was clear to all that the time to begin was nearly at hand when the Guardian of the First Ash entered the clearing along with Ashbury, guardian of the World Tree. As they reached the center of the clearing, there was a low rumbling from the skies above as if several waves of thunder were cascading over one another. Suddenly breaking the clouds came four ancient wyrms. The dragons banked and swooped across each other and descended on the clearing, their metallic hues reflecting the low sunlight.

The four wyrms – Gold, Copper, Silver, and Bronze – each powerful, wise, and respected among their kind, landed at the four compass points. To most of the druids these wyrms were strangers. To the elders, they were the Judges; wise, good, and impartial. But to Bolo it was something else, for he knew each by name, and he nodded to each as they landed – The Gilden, The Platinar, The Brazen and (while he had never met him, he had no doubt) The Cupric.

The Gilden (for it would have been inappropriate to think of him as Lord Gelban here) lowered his head and allowed the Guardian of the Ash to step up. As he raised her above the gulley, the assembled druids fell into silence.

It was time. And in the way of the druids, there was no time or words wasted saying what they all knew.

She called out “Who comes forth to contest for the role of Grand Druid this day?”

Bolo was the first. “I, Bolo Brandybuck, will challenge.”

The Guardian inclined her head in acknowledgement. There was a small murmur but this was hardly unexpected. But the murmur then took on a different tone, and was gradually replaced by the beating of low drums. The cadence built mixing drum and beast and then a mammoth broke through the trees. It’s size would have been enormous were it not so sadly dwarfed by the assembled dragons. Standing atop the mammoth was a massive specimen of a half orc. The mammoth trumpteted loudly, and the half-orc called “Thorn does!”

The Guardian betrayed no emotion and inclined her head again.

From the other side of the clearing, a stone tower three stories high erupted from the earth. A creature of bizarre construction stepped onto the balcony and with a flourish declared “I, Septinov, challenge.”

Again, the Guardian nodded.

Near the center, the ground rippled and flowed like water. From the puddle, a dwarf rose up and then stood before all, gruffly calling “Nader the Burrower will challenge.”

It seemed most of the challengers were intent on making a grand entrance. At least one felt it was a pointless display. A human with a bald head but a flaming red beard leaned upon a staff and called out. “I would challenge. I think you all know me.”

The Guardian said “We accept your challenge, Marcus.”

The wind picked up in the clearing and snow was blown off the ground. The wind reached a shrill creshendo and the snow swirled to reveal a very tall female elf with icy blue skin. A voice like winter frost said “Song of Storms will challenge.”

The competition was becoming more than Bolo had expected. He knew of few so powerful but these beings were clearly on the fringes of the druidic faith. Of course that was likely part of why they had survived. And the challenger that the druids feared most had yet to appear.

But that changed. Any hope that he would decline were shattered. The thumping was low at first but built to an unmistakeable sound. A tree broke through a nearby group, but it was unlike any tree in this part of the world. It looked dead but for the blood-red leaves. Dozens of bodies hung from vines dangling from the tree’s knarled limbs. The tree stopped, and for a moment there was silence.

Then one of the bodies began to twitch. There were loud snaps as bones cracked into place. The tree lowered it to the ground and as it hit, the head wrenched into place. It took the vine and tied it around its waist, and with a crack of its arms said “I would have a say.”

The Barrow King had arrived.

The Guardian waited but no other called out. Windfall looked puzzled. “There are seven. There should be eight. One is missing.”

A small squeaking noise followed and a field mouse was scampering into the clearing. As it ran it shifted to the shape of a small halfling. “Oh, sorry. Red Mouse. That would be me.”

Windfall nodded. “There will be a series of challenges. In these challenges you will be expected to prove your skills as a druid and your worthiness as a leader. For some of these challenges there will be restrictions on your use of spells or direct action. The points will be tallied. In the event of a tie, the Judges will decide.”

“Your first task begins now. There are eight bonfires built. Find one, and light it.”

Without any delay, Thorn turned around and brought a flame strike down on the nearest pile of wood. He smiled smugly.

Both Bolo and Nader used a smaller spell to achieve the same basic effect. Septimov, the urban druid, used lightning rather than fire directly but the end result was the same.

Red Mouse returned to mouse form, and darted into one of the piles. Nobody was sure what he did, but the pile did catch fire and he skittered back out.

Song of Storms went about things in a more unconvential manner. She used her powers to compel another creature to light the fire for her.

The Barrow King gestured, and two zombies dropped from the tree. The shambled their broken bodies to an unlit pile and used flint and tinder in an almost comical attempt to light the fire. They did succeed, but one of the zombies also managed to set himself on fire in the process.

Marcus just shook his head at the waste. He walked over to one of the fires, pulled a flaming brand from the pile, and with it lit the last pile of wood.

The new council conversed quietly with the dragons. Even the sharpest ears could not make out what they were saying. There was nodding, and points made, and White Rose (a comely female druid on the council) must have made some amusing but off-color comment.

Windfall came forth. “The Equinox has begun and the songs will begin soon. The first contest has been won. Marcus the Hunter stands with the finer solution – neither wasteful nor extravagant. Some were conservative, some were excessive, and others were just… disturbing but Marcus stands alone. There will be more trials ahead. This was but one.”

With that, the rituals began.

Some hours later, when the ceremonies of the Equinox were complete, the next trial began. The candidates were paired off – one was the hunter and the other was the prey. The prey would have a thirty minute head start and could use no spells. The hunters would have three hours to find them and touch them, using no items and no spells greater than the third level.

Septimov was hunted by Nader. His skills were not well suited to this task, but he was clever. He turned into a bat and flew for a distance and then took the shape of a small pebble. Nader did his best to track him and by conversing with the trees came to where he ended as a bat but was baffled. Septimov evaded his hunter and won.

Bolo was hunted by Song of Storms. He went a distance then became a plant. Song of Storms tracked him by scent into the general area. Bolo was shocked when the surrounding plants betrayed his location when Song of Storms asked, and Bolo was caught.

Red Mouse was being hunted by Marcus the Hunter. He pulled out several bags and dropped over a dozen red mice on the ground. The mice scattered in every direction, then he too became a mouse and ran into the brush. Marcus was ready for an honest hunt and hoped that Red Mouse had no other tricks he would attempt to try. Marcus took to the air as a hawk and caught mouse after mouse from the bag of tricks, and eventually caught Red Mouse shortly before time ran out.

The Barrow King was hunted by Thorn. At the start, all the zombies were lowered from the tree and they all put on cloaks and ran into the woods. The Barrow King also put on a cloak and with a twisted smile vanished into the trees. Thorn pursued, and soon recruited some thoqqua to help locate him. The creatures reported that it was difficult to sense much with the other thoqqua down there. Thorn moved quickly and they soon forced the Barrow King to the surface and Thorn was victorious.

This ended the second trial. The third began immediately. While the hunt had been going on, a wicker gate was constructed in the center of the gulley. The gate bore some passing resemblances to the mechanical gates employed by the dragons. While this gate had a more natural focus the purpose was much the same. Each druid was taken to a different place and forced to deal with the situation there.

Septimov was taken to a desert where a giant ant lion was agitated and preying on passers by. Septimov was told to calm it, but he failed and the ant lion took several bites at him. The toxins had no effect on the druid, who was not a life form like any other, but he failed all the same.

Bolo was brought to an underwater scene. He was told that a naga was living in the shipwreck ahead, and was fiercly attacking anything she felt was an intruder, including passing shipping. He was to fix the problem.

Bolo took the form of a merman and approached the naga. He was able to get her to parley, and offered to guarantee her protection if she would cease attacking the passing shipping. She reluctantly agreed, and Bolo bestowed intelligence upon some eels and bade them act as her guardians. His effort was a success, but not a stunning one. The druids took a dim view of so casually awakening creatures to intelligence, and he never identified himself as a druid hence showing that the druids will not stand for such behavior.

Song of Storms was taken up the mountain and confronted with a lone wolf who was half enraged and killing more than his share out of grief and lonliness. Song of Storms matched his form and made an… interesting proposition to him. The thought of leading a new pack was enough to calm him somewhat. Song of Storms had succeeded in her challenge.

Marcus the Hunter was simply pointed at a druid sitting up the hill watching the challenges. He was told “He is angry. Solve the problem.” There was an implication there was something more going on but only the implication. Marcus sat with the druid and talked with him at length. As they spoke, it became clear this man was no druid but an imposter. When confronted, he admitted to being a doppelganger and to working for someone whom he feared more than anything a druid would do to him. Marcus shrugged, unable to counter that argument, and his lion companion destroyed the imposter.

The Barrow king was taken through the portal to a dark alley beyond. After a few minutes, he came back through with a vine-wrapped body shambling after him. The body went to the tree where it was taken up into the branches with the others. What happened was unclear, but the Barrow King had passed.

Thorn is taken to a village where a Jann is setting rooftops on fire. Thorn took the situation firmly in hand, and also passed his challenge.

But it was Nader who had the most sound triumph. He was taken to a clearing where two satyrs were arguing and on the verge of fighting. Nader’s answer was to simply start talking to them, and knowing how short the attention span of the fey is, he simply kept talking until they forgot what they were fighting about. Where the others merely succeeded, he triumphed.

(to be continued…)

Last edited:

Len

Prodigal Member
Zad said:
The "situations" were all somewhat unique. I liked Aethramyr's solution best I think.
But for the bonfires I liked Marcus' solution best:
Marcus just shook his head at the waste. He walked over to one of the fires, pulled a flaming brand from the pile, and with it lit the last pile of wood.
I was thinking the same thing by that time.

Zad

First Post
But for the bonfires I liked Marcus' solution best
I'll be honest - that was a slight fib.

My first reaction to the overly-showy displays was to be more basic. All that was required was to light the fire. So Marcus went over and used flint and steel (i.e. Survival skill) to light the fire. Afterwards I said "Oh he shoulda done THAT instead!" and I put it in the story that way since it didn't change the outcome.

Zad

First Post
Part IV

Part IV

White Rose frowned. Even frowning her face was lovely, but it had the distinct effect of making men want to fix whatever was making her frown. “I mislike this.”

“So you have said. Several times in fact,” countered Windfall. He was by no means immune to her frown, but the elder druid had larger concerns.

“We are playing a dangerous game. We take a great risk. The land could be blighted, and many people killed if this goes poorly. And while the situation is not of our causing, we are ruthlessly taking advantage of it for the sake of these tests.”

Windfall smiled. “Is it not wise to take advantage of all nature offers you?”

“Take advantage?!?” she huffed. “We are playing with these people’s lives and just for the sake of finding a new grand druid.”

Windfall looked at her with deadly seriousness. “If we chose poorly, many more lives will suffer. A great many more.”

White Rose had no answer for that. There was none she could give.

She soon gathered the candidates together and addressed them soberly. “There is a forest fire. You will be taken to it. You have ten minutes to prepare. To the east of the fire line is a human settlement. There are also some humans lost in the woods. Your objective is to protect the human settlement. Your secondary goal is to bring the lost humans to safety.”

Despite her words, the test did not begin in ten minutes. It began the moment she said the words “forest fire”. How these candidates would react would tell much of their worthiness.

Bolo was first to say it. “If there is a forest fire, we cannot seek to be competitive about this. We must cooperate with each other if lives are to be saved.” To White Rose’s mild surprise, there was near total agreement. The Barrow King seemed somewhat disinterested, but all the others agreed immediately – even the wendingo Song of Storms.

She was again surprised when they fell immediately to a very practical discussion of who could best accomplish what. Capabilities were discussed openly and honestly. They parsed themselves into two groups – those who had the talents to stem the tide of the fire, and those who would find the lost humans. As the discussion about the fire continued, Marcus stopped the conversation and asked a crucial question.

“Our objective is to save the settlement and the lost humans, is that correct? Put another way, our objective is not to stop the fire?”

White Rose’s eyes narrowed, but that was the only outward sign of the approval she felt. It was a good question. A wise question. A worthy question. But she could not say such things. She only said “That is true.”

It took them only three minutes to complete their plans. Red Mouse and Marcus would seek the lost humans, while the others would protect the village. White Rose transported them immediately.

And they all wisely chose to leave their animal companions behind.

The group emerged in a smokey glade. The protections the druids had put in place were holding – they were designed to make the arrival safe, if not comfortable. On all sides of the glade, thunderous flames burned at the trees and underbrush.

Marcus changed shape and took to the air, while Red Mouse scattered several of his namesake and then joined them in form and skittered into the forest. The others all moved towards the village, gathering information from the plants and animals as they went. They all said the same thing – the fire started all at once. When the group arrived, they were suspicious of the cause of the fire but had no reason to suspect anything foul. This news however changed that.

It took Marcus the Hunter only minutes to find the group of lost people trapped in the flames and fallen trees. He stepped through tree and shadow and quickly brought them all to safety. He made it seem too easy. Meanwhile the Burrower heard from the plants of an old man who lived in a hut nearby. He found the hut easily enough and the old man unconscious inside it. His safety was secured by Thorn who was patrolling in the form of a white dragon, and took the man away from the encroaching fire.

Bolo and the Barrow King each set to digging a fire break to protect the town, although Bolo was considerably more effective at it as a bullette. As they dug the break, Song of Storms began a storm-summoning ritual.

White Rose watched them. She began, slowly, to worry a little less. The candidates moved quickly and well, and more importantly, in concert. The dragons expected this task to be very telling, but to her eyes, all the candidates seemed to be aquiting themselves admirably.

There was already a light rain falling – it seemed lighting was what touched off the fire in the first place. Or perhaps it was only meant to seem so. In any case the rain was not strong enough to deter the fire – more would be needed. As Song of Storms slowly built her control of the skies, she could feel another presence pushing back. Something else was fighting her for control of the sky. Something from the west.

She said as much to Bolo, who flew off to investigate. He could hear the struggle for control, now that he knew to listen for it. It was not hard for him to find the source.

There out at sea, lurking in the choppy waves. A kraken.

Bolo wasted no time. He approached the kraken and spoke to it. It called itself the Master of Waves. (It was, White Rose thought, a bit presumptious, but so was the kraken.) The kraken was outraged at the overfishing of the humans. It was a fairly simple issue – what bothered White Rose was that the stakes were too high. Bolo was able to pacify the kraken, and he released his hold on the weather. Song of Storms shaped the storm to her bidding, and the situation was resolved.

Indeed it was the best possible outcome White Rose could have hoped for. And while she was pleased with the results, she was less certain that the dragons had seen what they required. The worth of the candidate could not be revealed without some degree of failure, but she was glad not to have it just the same.

There would be plenty of room for failure in what would follow, and with little harm.

Windfall gathered the candidates for their last trial. A test of summoning allies to engage in battle. This test would be creature to creature, not person to person. They could aid their ally, but not directly attack their foe or their foe’s creature. The fight would continue until the judges stopped it or one side yielded. The power of the creatures to be summoned would be determined randomly but would be equal for both combatants.

This is more like it thought White Rose. The creatures are not permanently harmed, and the test tells much – more even than just who wins and who does not.

In the first round, the Barrow King fought Red Mouse. The creatures permissible were quite weak, but the Barrow King’s dire wolf defeated Mouse’s dire rat.

Next Thorn fought Nader the Burrower. The creatures were powerful – an earth elemental versus a salamander. It was a close fight and well done. Ultimately the elemental proved victorious.

The next was an interesting match up – Marcus versus Bolo. The outcome of this could tell much. The creatures were to be weak – luckly for Marcus. He was a skilled hunter and traveler but unable to summon powerful allies. Had the luck been different he would have lost even before the fight began.

Bolo made a bold move – he summoned a hippogriff whereas Marcus chose a dire badger. The hippogriff closed quickly and tried to grab the badger – likely to simply try to carry it up and release it. But the badger clawed the face of the beast as it closed and it never got hold. White Rose wasn’t even sure a hippogriff could lift a badger. The fight from there was brief and the judges ended it quickly with victory for Marcus.

White Rose wondered, just for a moment, if she saw a look of relief on Bolo’s face.

The second round began with Marcus vs the Burrower. Nader tried a bold ploy and instead of summoning a creature he flexed the rules of the contest and summoned a swarm of bats. The giant eagle Marcus had called fought briefly but was unsure how to counter the swarm. The eagle then flew up, trying to lure the bats into the cold air outside the protected area. It was a brilliant move; the eagle was much better equipped for the cold than the bats were. But somehow the swarm held together and pursued the eagle, buoyed by the winds Nader controlled. The eagle finally gave up and stood to fight but by then it was too late. Marcus was powerful, but not a powerful druid. His eagle winked out before it could finish the bats off, and Nader was declared the winner.

But only just barely thought White Rose. In her mind the tactics were at least as important as the final outcome. In this, both druids performed admirably.

Song of Storms then was matched against the Barrow King. Again the creatures were weak – dire wolf to giant eagle. Song of Storms caused her ally to grow, and the King countered. She gave its talons magical edge, and the King did the same. Indeed, they were both using up a great deal of their arcane reserve. White Rose pondered what Song of Storms would have left in the final round if she squandered it all now. But her eagle proved the better, and its talons bit deep into the wolf’s hide. The judges spared the beasts any further pain when it was clear the eagle would be the victor.

The last battle would be Song of Storms versus Nader the Burrower. The creatures would be powerful.

Both druids elected to summon a djinn. The djinn both looked about and knew they were here for a contest, not a life-and-death struggle. They faced each other and slowly bowed. Each then drew a curved sword and saluted. Then in a flash it began. The djinn savored the risk-free opportunity to match their skills, and the swordsmanship displayed was noteworthy. After a great many exchanges, Song’s djinn lured his opponent out of position and brought the blade in to his neck. He stopped suddenly, the blade barely caressing his opponent’s flesh. They froze for a moment, then together they stood, and bowed at each other again. The assembled druids applauded, and the djinn were released.

The battle was fascinating, but it had been largely irrelevant. The druids and dragons had conferred and made their decision. White Rose feared what would happen if they made the wrong choice, but with this one she felt at least some measure of confidence.

Windfall went forward. “The judges have rendered their decision. The Grand Druid shall be… Marcus the Hunter.”

There it was again. White Rose was almost certain she saw it this time. She made sure to watch Brandybuck as Windfall spoke. I’d swear he looked relieved.

Marcus was not one for speeches. Or it seemed, for Grand Druid. “But I don’t want to be Grand Druid. I was concerned about our fate if others were chosen.”

He didn’t have to say “The Barrow King.” Everyone knew it. Everyone shared it.

“Nonetheless you have been chosen,” Windfall said plainly. “You shall lead us.”

Marcus shrugged. There was no real ceremony, no pomp and circumstance. It was done, and there was no more to say about it. Most of the druids would follow but some might decide otherwise. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t be druids.

The Barrow King quickly departed. He had perhaps not wanted to win so much as make a statement. He certainly had.

White Rose went to Bolo. “Are you pleased or disappointed?”

Bolo considered saying something polite and meaningless but quickly dismissed that in favor of something honest. “I am relieved. When I came to this grove, I was worried about our faith and our future. I was worried for who would lead. But the trials have shown the virtues of the candidates not just to the judges or spectators, but to me as well. Indeed I have seen not only the worth of the others, but my own as well. My heart aches to do the good thing, as it always has. But perhaps that is not the best thing for a leader.”

White Rose smiled, and kissed him on the cheek. She wondered if he realized how his ears blushed now that he was an elf.

The druids lingered for a time longer, but the task was done. The order could now look forward.

OOC:

The contest was an interesting experience. It was partly judged on points, and partly subjective. The finals were not actually fought out – it would have taken a lot of time late at night, and it was not particularly relevant. It would simply of determined who was in second place. In case you are interested, the score standings worked out as follows:

Bolo came in third, largely due to poor luck in the summoning contest.

Thorn (Scorch) was in the middle of the pack.

Song of Storms (Valanthe) and Nader (Aethramyr) were tied. Whoever won the finals would have been in second. Given that neither had character sheets for the druids, they did a lot of improvising. Both, I thought, had some truly brilliant moments.

Marcus won, partly on points – he did well, if not best, in each contest. But more his outlook. He has a more neutral outlook than Bolo for instance, and the druids favored that. Even in the summoning contest, he only barely lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads