• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gen Con Reports?

FickleGM

Explorer
Psion said:
This jog your memory?

gencon_06_03.jpg

No reveal, I'm afraid. You missed Lhogrim and Kiznit.

In the above pic is: fusangite, Buttercup, TruthSeeker, Lhogrim, MrsFickleGM, "Grith" (I don't know his id over here either, if any), Cathix, Diaglo, SteveJung, and FickleGM. Of course, I'm holding the camera. ;)

First off, thank you Psion.

Next, sorry kiz and Lhogrim (you were in the LOSERS faction of our table).

Finally, eww...my worst pic of the con. I was caught in some smirk/making a smart@$$ (hehehe) comment type moment...blah.

Lhorgrim

Explorer
FickleGM, I was the other person at Buca di Beppo. I don't blame you for not remembering, it was a big group and I was surely diminished in the aura of diaglo. ;)

This was my second GenCon, but the first where I got to meet very many EnWorlders. I volunteered at the Ennies booth on Thursday and had the pleasure to work with Buttercup. She was great to talk to, and she sure knows how to run a booth I'm here to tell ya. I met several of you folks that day at the booth, and later at Buca di Beppo for dinner. That dinner deserves a post all it's own. While we waited outside the restaurant I met diaglo. I know everybody that met him has posted about what a great guy he is, and I am here to add my thumbs up. I was a little intimidated by him, and didn't really know what to say. He saw me standing there, and he put out his hand and said "Hi I'm David". After that it was like I'd known him for years. FickleGM listed all of the folks that were at the restaurant that night(except me ;) ), so I won't re-type the names here. Dinner was fantastic, and the people were very fun to be with. Truth Seeker may have some video of that outing, unless one of the attendees bribed him into losing it.

The Ennies were a blast. It was a bit hard to find a place to sit as the room was packed with people, but when I did find a seat I got to sit behind Rel. I have to say that Rel was very friendly, and took some time to chat with me before the program started. As far as the awards ceremony, I can't hear a Black Eyed Peas song without having fond memories of the event. I left too early after the awards, but I as hot and a little "fatigued" so I called it a night before the ceiling issues.

Saturday night I found out that I had been in the hotel room next door to Ranger Wickett's room the whole week. As I walked by I saw several Enworlders in the room so I stopped in to see what was happening. I learned that the party was on, so I grabbed a cooler and some spare booze and settled in for the festivities. There were a bunch of Enworlders there, and I got to hang wth Hellhound for a while. I learned much during my time at the party. For one thing, it is almost impossible to tell a story about "Shape Shifting Space Lizards" if you're drunk. It is however very entertaining if someone tries to tell a story about "Shape Shifting Space Lizards" while drunk. I also learned that when I'm drinking adult beverages I better finish the whole drink because "there are sober kids in China" ;)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Lhorgrim said:
It was a bit hard to find a place to sit as the room was packed with people, but when I did find a seat I got to sit behind Rel. I have to say that Rel was very friendly, and took some time to chat with me before the program started.

It was a pleasure meeting you. You're one of the people from ENWorld that I was hoping to get to see this year but my schedule was SO packed that I'm glad we ran across each other by chance. Majoru Oakheart was also sitting over there as I recall.

I forgot to mention earlier another feather in my cap: I am officially the best dressed man to have gone through True Dungeon. My afternoon was so jammed packed that I didn't have time to change clothes between the Escape From The Embassy Suites game, True Dungeon and the ENnies. So I had on a button down shirt and a tie during both the Gamma World game and True Dungeon. It drew more than one comment from the others who participated, including a GM in True Dungeon who said I was the only person to ever wear a tie.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Disclaimer: If I forget to mention you, I'm an idiot. Post and mock me about it so I remember not to do it again--I've seen enough posts above mine where someone leaves people out that I know it will happen. Apologies in advance!

Wednesday:

I arrived at Gencon just in time to hit the Canadiana Suite right on time. Unfortunately, I didn't know to look up for the flag, so I had to call Rel to get the room number. At this point, I met a huge number of ENWorlders, although I didn't get to talk to many of them for long. Interesting notes include diaglo warning us to stockpile for the killer flu (and then later flashing several people in the corner, prompting my repartee "Anything else is just a pale imitation"), fusangite deciding that I, like Xath, could pass for an elf if they existed and that this was, in fact, a 'talent', talking to Truthseeker for a while about various topics including confidence for my one-shot, speaking to Alenda and Belen about several topics including that weird school that hosted my little brother's last PACE tournament, chatting with Ranger Wickett and Hellhound near the end, and enough more to overload my brain cells.

Thursday:

I woke up in the wee hours of the morning and headed over to Piratecat's Antiheroes game, my first ever Con game. This game spoiled me considerably, although it also instantly sold me on Mutants and Masterminds, which has convinced me that perhaps a sound marketing strategy for new game systems is to convince Piratecat to run them at Gencon. Old One was, of course, perfect as Pinnacle, although those grapple rolls weren't always on his side (but that's okay, he got tons of crits in later games), plus his digging plan to disable the evil device was crucial in saving the day. John Crichton's press release of Yodeling Roach and the Roach Rangers was brilliant. FickleGM's snippy intellectually arrogant comments were spot-on for the character and always funny, and his banter back-and-forth with Migraine was fun to watch. Meanwhile, the Knockout/Migraine/parents interplay courtesy of Sidereal Knight and Ben (plus PCat for the NPCs, of course) was hilarious. The robotic 'must obey Migraine' bluff was hilarious. But as all puny mortals know, Doctor Primus shall one day become your supreme overlord, and...hey, Roach, still have that banana? Although all the ENWorld pickup games at the Con were fantastic, this was probably my favourite (there were several other strong competitors though). Reading Piratecat's comments on how to run an effective Con game in that recent thread, I can see how he definitely used every bit of that advice in building Antiheroes, and I can attest that it was effective.

Antiheroes was followed up quickly by Rel's famous Sky Galleons game. The characters were all entertaining, and I got to try out my faux-Connery accent with Professor McTaggart. KidCthulhu's Tex was great, even when chiding the professor for trying to engage the shark in fisticuffs, and second only to Ladytoll's Budrajah as a killing machine. DaveStebbins's poor captain got constantly knocked out by enemies and slapped by Lizzie, who mysteriously gained about 500 times more personality and a saucy streak to match when Piratecat wandered in and took control. Great fun was had by all, and we reached the apparently-common climactic ending wherein the Professor tries and fails to blow the door in on the BBEG and then we had to quickly lop off the hand before the self-destruct blew us all to Phobos.

The final game of the night was Paranoia, the game which was the least familiar to me of the Con and which I started out playing completely wrong. My teammates were harsh but effective teachers, however, and I soon discovered that it isn't a good idea to make most skill checks out loud, rather passing them to the Computer to process. Each of the players brought something different and fun to the game. Xath's Communications Officer was devious and greedy to hilarious effect, performing effective cons involving falsification of data that made my character's Con Games skill look like nothing. She wound up at the end of the game having stolen stealth equipment from the Computer and avoiding a near-exposure when Piratecat cunningly solicited a Perversity Point bribe from her to give a positive report and then used that very perversity point to try to get her killed. Speaking of Piratecat, (yes, Thursday was the day of the Piratecat) he was a great team leader, always taking the blame while insinuating it was everyone else's fault and hiding under the table (particularly when I made noisy annoying machine noisier and more annoying), plus starting us out with the paper-passing plots when he jammed people's blasters with cameras, killing two clones who tried to shoot him. He was also the most highly medicated and mutilated character, killed by overdose and later deafened by acid ear cleaner and turned into a cyborg to fix this, which led to a hilarious robot impression, all after being stripped of team leadership. Sadly, his last clone didn't make it out of the last briefing. And speaking of that, frater was possibly the most effective member of the team as far as completing the mission, despite the fact that he didn't have any skills or equipment. He made a great team leader and nearly wound up with the job permanently until that oh-so-hilarious slip of the tongue when he praised his 'comrades' right at the debriefing. Thunderfoot, our other skilless NPC-R-NPC, found a niche for himself as official basher with wood. After a rough start, he managed to stay alive for the whole game after getting equipment by just leaving the room before we killed him and waiting until the people who suggested to kill him were dead and we had forgotten about it. Unfortunately, he lost his leadership in record time, but he made up for it by whacking me and others with a plank a lot of times, including the time he wound up opening a rift and trapping Piratecat in the wall (I told you Piratecat's character wound up getting the most weird things that happened to him, right?). Alenda was definitely the most colourfully treasonous of our troubleshooters, and the fact that she walked through blue access only areas carrying her indigo crowbar was pretty gutsy--at least only a few infrareds noticed her, and of course, they had to die. Better dead than infrared. Belen's Loyalty Officer was known for stinking after they killed me for a while and I couldn't clean up (although we later discovered that this was Piratecat projecting his mutant power to frame Belen) and for his surprise attack with the sword. Perhaps the best exchange in the game was Belen: "I take my sword and cut off Team Leader's head." PCat: "You have a sword?" (I did tell you Piratecat kept getting mutilated in amusing ways :p). Also, the time Belen turned on the car while Piratecat leaped out of the driver's seat to his death (yup, again :lol: ), leaving us driverless, was hilarious. Even funnier, the girls somehow survived the crash using the Chutzpah skill. And we can't forget shaylon, whose obsession with 'bots' caused everyone to consider him among the least stable members of the team, though the higher-coloured citisens didn't seem to care. Still, his crazy robots and mechanisation skills led to much hijinks.

After Paranoia, we lost Crothian, Alenda, and Belen, and the remainder headed to the Ram for dinner. We exchanged many tales of gaming, alcohol poisoning, and the like, and we managed to all make it back in one piece without pulling a 'Claudio', even Xath after the margarita and the 'asparagus' wine.

I headed back to sleep almost glowing. Thursday was totally awesome--probably the best day of the whole Con for me. And of course, technically a decent bit of the end of Little Canadiana in Exile technically counted as being on Thursday too, I suppose.

Friday:

I woke up early on Friday to take part in Old One's Blood Altar game, which I greatly anticipated, as a fan of the Arthurian genre in general. And by Ambrosius, surely we did spill much Saxon blood that day! Somehow, despite his insistence at charging into battle (presaged by his barely-successful attempt to leap over the 8-foot tall wagon in the initial charge), Artorius came out without a scratch. Alright, alright, not 'somehow'. It was pretty much entirely due to excellent support, particularly from Othic, my stalwart reformed Saxon bodyguard, played by The Universe, who cleaved the life out of the Saxon leader with his mighty axe. The RP interactions between Artorius, Othic, and nakia's Cai, all with different battle strategies, really brought out the life in the tactical situation (though Cai's poor dog got killed). I would have liked to have Artorius go out of the way to save reveal's Bronwyn, based on the RP notes, but Bronwyn managed to take care of her assailants before Artorius even noticed. Ethernaut's Leudonius was in a close contest with Othic for melee effectiveness. One favourite moment is when his Shadow Fear failed to affect more than one enemy because, as Old One said, "These Saxons have not heard the name of Leudonius of Gaul." Well, after Leudonius single-handedly killed the entire remainder of their squadron, we're sure they've heard his name now. Rodrigo as Brother Temerius was particularly funny, especially when he ran out of spells and so wind-walked and pretended to be a ghost, waving around his holy symbol as he spooked the Saxons and pretended to cast Myrdwyn's spells. Best line of the game: Old One: "As the Saxons start to disperse, you notice that the Briton captives are milling about. You have time to speak, so you could help direct them to the escape. What will you say?" Rodrigo (nodding): "Ha!" QueenD's Myrdwyn far and away was the most effective character in the game. Between entangling enemies to split up groups and dropping down lightning upon our hapless foes, it is clear that without Myrdwyn (particularly her blasts that knocked out the icky skeleton spell) we all would have been in serious trouble.

Next came my game. I was nervous a bout my first Con game at first, but I had talked to Truth Seeker and others about this, so I kept my cool going into it. Unfortunately, the Fates conspired against me. My game wasn't particularly popular to begin with (as evidenced by the fact that there was not a waiting list or replacement when Buttercup dropped out a while in advance), and then when bolen didn't show up mysteriously without a word and Old One called with an urgent business matter, I knew I was in trouble. Matchstick, who had gotten to the game early, helped me salvage some of the game by bringing romp, TroyXavier, and TX's wife, a replacement, to the location, although by the time they had all gathered, we had lost about a half hour. Unfortunately, not everyone knew Iron Heroes, and between explaining the system, giving an incredibly brief mini-battle to let them test out their abilities, and the actual first combat, we had thirty minutes left. The first combat itself, however, was a lot of fun, and we really got into it and had some great moments (TroyXavier's bluff about his dagger being a powerful artifact led to some great moments). With not enough time left, I just stopped it there, which was a bit sad, but at least they had a bit of denouement, as we skimmed past a section involving two of the characters without players. This was a learning experience for me, and I hope to run this again and do even better next time. Truthseeker's encouragement along with Piratecat's point about having run Antiheroes 11 times and learning more and improving each time from a rocky start have encouraged me to keep at it, and maybe I'll see more of you in my game next year (and of course, anyone in my group this year is welcome to join me in finishing up the second part of the adventure if we can meet up!).

Lastly came the ENnies awards. The awards themselves were a lot of fun, with great emceeing by Piratecat and a lot of laughs from guest presenters and archenemies Rich Burlew and Keith Baker. It's really amazing how well we did, especially considering all the last minute screwing over that was going on. The amount of work put into it was incredibly, by the volunteers who put in man hours, the Judges who read all those books, and especially Dextra, who spent so much effort to make the ENnies great, and it showed. Unfortunately for me, the 'butting in' effect that Thunderfoot mentioned seemed to be at least ten times stronger after the ENnies. I guess I can attribute this to many of the others having been there chatting for a while before the doors opened to the general public, combined with the fact that I thought the tables were only for publishers and guests so I sat in the far-less-social back row, plus the fact that I wasn't in one of the post-ENnies groups like TBR, so really it's completely my fault. Nonetheless, I stayed until most people were gone (though not long enough to see the flood), though I very rarely managed to get in any chatting. I'd say the Post-ENnies was probably the low point of this Gencon, since it left me feeling left out, rather than the high I had at the end of Thursday.

Saturday:

I woke up early again (this is becoming a theme). This time, it was for Piratecat's Call of Cthulhu game. Due to my attempt to give then-volunteer diaglo an entire list of silver and gold ENnies winners from memory so he could tell people who asked, I wound up being named The Professor, which was a quite different experience from the Sky Galleons Professor. It was hilarious, with well-played characters all around. Rodrigo's Gilligan throwing out luggage, scrapping the minnow, and just generally shirking duty as Belen's Skipper thwacks him with his hat and yells 'Gilligan' just before getting knocked over or having the hat dirtied by flayed corpses. Mary Anne getting all the bad luck as she is covered with poison ivy, bee stings, and more, and yet surviving Alenda's Ginger, perfectly vain and seductive as she pushes her way into the sacrificial victim position rather than let Mary Anne be the 'star'. Although everyone was hilarious, DaveStebbins as Mr Howell with Piratecat and then later Ladytoll as Mrs. Howell was really the best--his characterisation was just perfect for how I remember the TV character. Favourite lines include the 'half-manatee' excuse that my poor San-drained Professor made for the Deep Ones, as well as his later "These tracks were clearly made by the perambulatory peregrinations of the rare Migrating Fern."

Next came Alenda's Halfling Musketeers game, which was quite a treat. Although poor Moliere didn't manage to actually use Diplomacy or Bluff successfully on anyone (cursed Lawful Good alignment and those morals about drugging girls with Love Potions like reveal!), we all got a kick out of talking in outrageous faux-French accents as we battled garden gnomes, pumpkins (no, not Rel's pumpkins), bony sea monsters (which we disengaged because only Matchstick wanted to enter from behind after we voted), and more. The Grease spell made every fight a hilarious mixture of slipping, sliding, sneak attacks, reveal tumbling, and random quips like "Roll your healing check BITCH!" (that one-liner brought to you by fett, our gallant healer) and "Are we winning?" (Thunderfoot, after being healed out of unconsciousness following his decision to take on six pumpkins across the map from us by himself while the entire remainder of the party dealt with one mean old gnome. Grappling hooks and ropes were always flying from Old One and Matchstick, which helped us enter without being noticed for a surprise attack, and as previously mentioned, reveal taught us all that the way to cover for a bad date and botched seduction attempt is to slip Love Potion in her wine, which led us to wonder how he made it to the fight on time (the answer, of course, is that he had Quick Draw).

I headed as quickly as I could possibly travel to reach the ENnies booth, and I spent some time talking with Eridanis. By now, they had printed out all the winners, and we handed out a bunch of sheets with the winners as we talked amongst ourselves and with friendly visiting ENWorlders.

Soon after, it was time to go to Chez Geek for Canadiana Part Two. It was much smaller than the first one, which gave me a lot of time to talk with everyone there, which was initially a small subset containing Ranger Wickett and John Crichton (our gracious hosts) plus Xath (who was in and out with blue Romulan ale and then off to see the pre-screening of the next Gamers), Lhorgrim (who heard us from next door), Buttercup, TruthSeeker (who left eventually as well), and later Hellhound, and we eventually had guest visits from reveal, Queen D, and their gang back from True Dungeon who quickly headed out to go see hentai. Eventually, it stabilised into a fairly cohesive group containing the above plus fusangite, diaglo, Bront, Psion, and Crothian (plus I'm sure somebody I missed because I'm dumb that way). We heard many stories, including diaglo's breakin and the time fusangite was accused of being a shapeshifting space lizard (which would be a pretty funny idea for a game next Gencon--maybe I should run a "M&M Shapeshifting Space Lizards of Little Canadiana" adventure next year :lol: ). Eventually, we were kicked out by Ranger Wickett's roomies and headed downstairs, where a game of roll the steel d20 and drink if you roll lowest ensued (I watched from the sidelines) as the conversation continued. Eventually, I had to call it a night, and said my goodbyes, as I was unsure if I would see any of the others on Sunday. This led to the ironic statement of "See you on the boards" by diaglo (for those who don't know--he has me on ignore. Probably you too :lol: ), which led me to feel a bit better about my posts as people asked him "Why would you put Rystil on ignore?"

Sunday:

I headed to Belen's Midnight game just before flying out. As a band of intrepid dwarves, we braved the caverns full of undead, orcs, a cave troll, and a behir(!) to find the weapon that the Night Kings feared. True to form from Halfling Musketeers, Thunderfoot managed to get knocked out in both big battles, actually dying on the behir at the end (after which I quipped "Can we use his tattoos as a covenant item?"). Oh well, he served his purpose as our map (just kidding, of course, Thunderfoot :D). Rodrigo's Tavis added a bit of comedy into our fight against the orcs by taking two rounds to draw his bow due to Hold Person, followed by devastating the opponent. We like to think he was 'aiming'. Old One's Cathal had crazy AC and was always mixing it up and protecting his sister from harm, even against the tough monsters that took out Thunderfoot--in fact, despite my idiocy in never casting Mage Armour, leaving her at 13 AC, Abegayle was not hit once--thanks little bro! Fergus, played, by tkmjcw, may very well have had the most effective single action of the con when he Power Attacked and Cleaved the two orc boss monsters at once with massive damage, getting revenge for the legates who killed his father. Fergus was a combat monster!

After that, I got on the plane and flew back (seeing Psion on the same flight), and I'm in Cambridge now.

So that's it for me. My first ever Gencon was a lot of fun, and I look forward to seeing everyone I met again and to meeting those of you I either didn't meet or didn't get a chance to speak with enough.

Cheers!
Rystil

MulhorandSage

First Post
Okay, here's mine. Be warned, it's long and I'm still wiped, so this may not be 100% coherent. It's also name-drop heavy. Please be forgiving. :)

Tuesday: Had an early Wednesday morning flight. Went to an overpriced Vancouver airport hotel after an overpriced taxi ride. Bleh. Hotel internet didn't work. Went to bed early.

Wednesday: Woke up at 4:30 am for the ride to the airport. Everything went smoothly except for putting my boarding pass in my luggage. Oops! Got new boarding pass, flew to Chicago, then got to Indy. Less hassles than usual, though the flight was too cramped to take out my laptop and work. I took a taxi from the airport, registered at the Hyatt. I went to the Hero Games 25th anniversary party (where, after 15+ years of talking online, I finally got to meet Mike Surbrook face to face), then hopped over with Steve Long and Darren Watts to the Diana Jones awards, where the award for gaming excellence went to Irish Game Charity Auctions. I was a little non-plussed by this -- complaining about drunken Irishmen paying large amounts of money to buy stuff for good causes probably ranks alongside kicking puppies on the heel scale, but I kinda want awards on games to go to, y'know, games. Perhaps Sean Reynolds's charity books (or the many that came out after Katrina) don't make as much money as the Gaelcon content, but they're just as well-intentioned and you can dance to them... I mean game. Even so, the Irish game con auctions *do* rock, and it's cool to bring some attention to them.

I finally had a chance to meet Matt Forbeck, whom I'd worked with on Decipher's LOTR RPG line, and I had a long chat with my old Interplay mate Sean Fannon. I also discussed writing a Faery's Tale book for Pat Sweeney's Firefly Games. The awards were announced, and being as at home at most parties as I am at, say, the running of the bulls, I made a quick retreat back to the hotel. I met my roomate (a nice guy from Texas who confusingly calls himself "Teflon Billy" on the Hero boards (he didn't know how popular the moniker was here until it was too late) and hit the sack

Thursday: 10 am. It's the magic hour of Gen Con, the time of the Inundation, when the dealer's room floods and too much money changes hands. I bought a lot of stuff. I picked up the Mansion of Shadows and the M&M Powers book, the Champions 25th anniversary book, the Ultimate Skill, You've Got to Have Character, BlackWyrm's Fires of War, and Goodwin's Revenge of the Rat-King. Later, I would add the Mountain Witch, a whole pack of painted pulp minis, and the granddaddy of them all (Malhavoc's Ptolus) to my bulging luggage. I also got to say hi to Luke Johnson, the ever-effervescent line editor on my World of Warcraft work, and say hi to James Wyatt, whom I've wanted to meet for a long time. Unfortunately, I really suck at the art of convention floor conversations, so we didn't really get to do more than to say how much we liked each other's work, but it was great to finally meet him in person.

12 am. I played the Mountain Witch, an indy game where six samurai trek up a mountain to kill a Mountain Witch, but everyone has a secret motive for being there. Man, this was a fantastic game. I played Shiro, a samurai who loved his daimyo's son (I intended this love to be fraternal, but the GM interpreted it as sexual, and given the historical habits of samurai, it fit, so I let it go), who had died facing the Mountain Witch. Among my four comrades was a man whose enchantment allowed him to never fail in hitting his target, and another samurai with a demon possessed hand.

We had many adventures. First there was a battle with gaki demons in a Japanese graveyard, then we encountered blood-draining monks in an old temple. Fleeing from the temple after the appropriate bloodshed, we discovered a little girl who was consorting with ogres: she turned out to be the abandoned daughter of one of my comrades, and her mother was the Mountain Witch's consort.

Every character in the Mountain Witch has three player defined special abilities. One of mine was the ability to force someone to fall in love with anyone of my choosing, so I forced him to fall in love with her mother (since I was a romantic who felt that no man should be without love). We were attacked by flying bat demons, had terrible dice luck, and the bats grabbed the little girl and flew off into the castle.

We proceeded to the castle gate, where a gatekeeper held the key. I challenged him to a duel, so we played a game of go, with the stakes being my life vs. the key. The demon-handed samurai stole the key, and we bid a hasty retreat before the game ended. Passing into the castle, we rescued the daughter with the help of one of the servant's children, a cat-human hybrid. Then we were waylaid by a troupe of actors, who persuaded us to watch their play; we spent five years watching the play before we noticed the distraction. Uki, the samurai's daughter, was now 16. She had also been possessed by a fire demon while she'd been kidnapped by the bats, but I forced her to fall in love with a pool of water, and she jumped into the pool and purged her of the fiery spirit.

We returned to the castle, and found a library filled with the scrolls, each which depicted the life story of someone who had died trying to kill the Mountain Witch. The cat-person who had helped us years ago tried to kill us, because the Witch had murdered the cat's family because he'd helped us, and we struck him down. We found Uki's mother, dead, trapped in ice, and Uki became trapped in ice as well. I was drawn by the voice of my dead lover into the witch's lair, where he showed me his spirit in a mirror and offered to restore him to life and give us immortality if I agreed to betray my comrades and serve him. I touched the mirror, said that my beloved came here to perform a task and promised I would not fail him and attacked.

Unfortunately, I was then cut down like a dog by one of my comrades, who pulled out his betrayal card, and even the power of true love was no match for bad dice rolls (in the immortal words of George of the Jungle, dumb luck *is* the greatest power in the universe). Oh well. Great, tragic fun. Kudos to the GM and the other players for getting such an epic game in six hours.

At 9 pm, Rod Currie ran his Pulp Justice game, where we played pulp heroes. My character was Joey Pulzak, a Polish-born palooka and mechanic; we started the scenario in Africa, where the nefarious Pygmy Master had us suspended in a net over shark-infested water. After the inevitable escape, we made our way back to America, where we became embroiled in a battle to discover the ancient secret of an old Californian bandit and the secret of a lost treasure. In the end, we chose to blow up the entrance of the bandit's cave and keep the secret forever. More than that, I won't say, since Rod plans to run his games again at GenCon SoCal. I highly recommend them, even for non-Hero System fans.

It was now 12:30, and I was tired. I trudged back to the hotel and got to sleep pretty quickly.

Friday: Having one game end at 12:30 pm and another start at 8:00 in the morning is not a great thing for those of us in the over-45 set. This was a game of Capes, which I'd wanted to play for several years, but my gaming group is composed of stodgy traditionalists who wouldn't touch a GM-less system with a 10' pole. Unfortunately I arrived late, and when I saw a pool of characters on the table, I assumed everyone had already chosen their characters at the start, and so I selected one I'd liked. I then found out that the characters were selected after play, and I'd chosen one who was prized by another player, who loudly accused me of violating common player courtesy. I was not happy, but held my tongue. The characters were distributed by the order of players around the table (I was last), and I couldn't help but notice that "Mr. Courtesy" skipped over two other players who were ahead of him to grab the one he wanted.

Beyond that, though, the game went extremely well. We were playing supers (heroes and villains) in late 1960s San Francisco, and I had a lot of fun playing Nowhere Man, an invisible guy, who was trying to save innocents who were imperiled at a protest rally. One of the villains, the Candyman, was captured, so we played a second game where the bad guys tried to bust him out of jail. This time, I played a superhero named the Guru, and placed the goal "The Guru tries to get Candyman to reform" on the table. In Capes, one fights over scenario related goals, and that one saw a *lot* of play. In the end, the bad guys won, but it was a good time. The game was run by Hans Messersmith, whom I knew from the Christian Gaming Guild mailing list, and it was a pleasure to meet him in person.

In the afternoon, I hooked up with Aaron Allston, whom I hadn't seen in about four years. Aaron was in Indy for a Star Wars con, but any excuse to renew acquaintances is good for me. I spent more time in the dealer's room (not surprisingly, I picked up the Mountain Witch), then met with Steve Kenson to travel to the Mutants and Masterminds panel. This was over in the Omni, and it was a long walk for them, let alone me (I have a neurological condition with my legs, and the trips was well outside my usual walking range). It was worth it, though, to meet so many great fans, to hear Steve plug future books, and to hear Chris McGlothlin enthuize about his upcoming Time of Vengeance (which sounds like it'll be great). And I got to plug my own Agents of Freedom too. Most of the time was spent on campaign troubleshooting questions, and a good time was had by all.

The big event of the evening was the ENnies. By pure happy circumstance, I managed to get a seat next to the Green Ronin section, and I got to share in the enthusiasm for their well-deserved triumphs. There were a couple of questionable calls, but nothing worthy of more than minor outrage (I can easily see Shackled City as best adventure, but best campaign supplement over Freedom City 2e, which might be the best worldbook I've ever seen, is dicey. However, I like Paizo a *lot*, so I can overlook my disagreement; Chad Underkoffer received two ENnies for Truth and Justice, which absolutely rocked). I was especially glad to see Steve Long pick up the silver for best writing, given that Pulp Hero has given me as much gaming joy as any product has in years; he and S. John Ross did a superlative job on that book. Last year, I won silver for best adventure for Villainy Amok and didn't think that high could be repeated, but the stream of awards for my friends was just as satisfying. The ceremony was crowded, but went with very few glitches. Congratulations to the ENnie committee and thanks to everyone who voted.

After the ENnies, I decided to make an early retreat, as the con was finally starting to catch up with me.

Saturday: I had an early game. Rod Currie's "serious" Champions game, SuperSquad game. Well, it's as serious as Rod can get and still inject with loads of Silver Age whimsy. I was playing the Mysterious Mister Z, an alien in a world that didn't believe that extra-terrestrials existed. Z had come to judge humanity in the previous year's game, but the team persuaded me to delay my judgment, so I joined the team to study humanity and determine their worth. To help me with adapting to life as a superhero, one of the old heroes lent me his collection of comics.

The scenario began with a breakout of a hundred superheroes from prison. We were run ragged trying to battle minor league threats like the New Sin Squad (which I dubbed "the Nuisance squad") and the Nighty-Night Gang while a major villain named DeathGrip began working a campaign of vengeance. I compared the plot to "the modern classic" Nightfall story from Batman that introduced Bane. DeathGrip was always one step ahead of us, and it ended in a shocking cliffhanger at Times Square (again, Rod's running this at GenCon SoCal, so I'm keeping a lot of the details sketchy). I did get off one more truly awful pun; while chatting with DeathGrip's brother, I told him "he ain't your brother, he's a heavy."

For that pun, I deserved some sort of punishment, and it came later that afternoon when I had to bow out of a Dogs in the Vineyard game due to a combination of exhaustion and bad food (mostly the former). After a few hours' rest, I hit the dealer's room in the afternoon, which gave me the opportunity to have long chats with Mike Stackpole and Monte Cook (who signed my copy of Ptolus).

I took it easy that evening. I had a chance to play in the SuperSquad finals, but there were so many good players that I didn't want to take any of their spots, so I bowed out.

Sunday: I packed up and made preparations for checkout. Aside for the surcharge for using the Internet, the Hyatt was a great hotel and their staff and accommodations were first-rate. I went to the Christian Gaming Guild worship service, where Jon Evans preached from Ephesians and the Psalms on gaming (and life) etiquette. I missed my home church, but I appreciated Jon and Dave Mattingly for their time; the service was packed (there was 75 attendees in the hall, up from about 50 last year. The growth is encouraging). After lunch, I met Rob Heinsoo, an old friend from Wizards of the Coast who's now one of the senior designers in their minis division. Rob and I went to Houlighan's for lunch, but the service was lacking and this cut into what should've been a great experience. Hopefully, Rob wasn't too bowled over by my "what I'd do if I were Wizards and I wanted to make sure 4e was a success" speech. It was a good get together.

On my way back to the convention center, I had one of the oddest fan encounters ever: a man came up to me on the street with his wife in tow, and mentioned that he'd met her playing Champions. Since my material was a part of their game, he told me I was indirectly responsible for their marriage. I really didn't have a response for that, but felt unbelievably honored. This respect was typical of what I experienced at the con; most people were incredibly nice and friendly this year, and it was very welcome.

The con was now winding down, and I had an early evening flight. After one last circuit of the dealer's room (where I picked up some nice painted pulp minis and a couple of fig boxes), it was time to leave. It would've been nice to have spent the evening at the traditional post-con Hero dinner, but I couldn't schedule it this year.

With the recent bombing attempts in England, I decided to hit the airport early. Security was tight, and produced one embarrassing moment; they asked me to remove my belt to check it, and as soon as I did, my pants dropped. Oops! Quickly hiding the humiliation, I laughed at the incident; after everything these guys have been through in the last week, the last thing they needed was for me to act like a jerk and add to their stress.

I made it back to Vancouver, bulging suitcase and all, around midnight, and got back home at about 1:30 in the morning. I was exhausted, but extremely enthused about upcoming projects and can't wait to get to them. Kudos go out to everyone who made this such a fantastic experience, especially to Peter Atkinson, who continues to do an unbelievably good job at organizing this monster. Thank you.

Last edited:

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
Gen Con

Arrival at Indy: Tuesday, August 8th. BBQ chez JediSoth with waaaaay too much awesome food. Twas lovely sitting and chatting. The Gelflings appreciated being able to watch cable, I chatted with MrsSoth and oooohed appreciatively at her scrapbooking skills whilst the menfolk loaded up the trailer of our display cases, generously stored there over the past year. Big props to JediSoth also for letting us park the trailer & van at his house during the week. You saved us around $200!

Set up of the booth on Wednesday was great, thanks to the EN Worlders help. FickleGM and the Mrs (I'm really horrible with names, I'm sorry!!) were my IKEA display case experts, and a bunch of other peeps were fabulous in getting the backdrop assembled. I had many people comment upon how professional our booth looked.

Actually, before I go any further, I've got to gush a bit about how wonderful the EN World community truly is. There's such a huge variety of people with differing talents upon whom we drew, all good-natured souls willing to help, it was overwhelming. Heck, I had to turn away offers of help because we were just too packed! Buttercup gets massive props for giving the Gelflings four books from one of her fave authors. The youngest is almost finished the last of the books already! And the keys at the Embassy Suites from various donors meant we never had to pay for breakfast which made our stay considerably easier!

Went out for dinner to the Bucca with a bunch of Canucks who had never been to Indy before. We had hoped to experience the Hard Times Café, but apparently it fell upon hard times. Much yummy food was consumed. We passed by the Canadiana Suite briefly, but the youngest Gelfling wanted to go home at nine, so I only stuck around for an hour. Sorry to have missed so many people! Thanks to the krewe for hosting the party!

The rest of the Con was a bit of a blur. My days usually went like this: 2:30 am, Hound stumbles home, drunk, snores so loudly the eldest and I can't sleep. I drag my tired arse out of bed at seven to shower, dress, and head off for a hearty breakfast at the Embassy. Get to the booth around 8:30, set up the displays, hang out until noon, work the dealer hall, go back to the room for PB&J. Back to the dealer hall or the booth, close down at six, dinner, bed. Lather, rinse repeat.

Some notable highlights:
-meeting new ENWers and reacquainting with old friends
-Saturday's Costume contest: Xath getting 2nd and doing a great sketch with the announcer. The Gelflings getting 1st for their dance piece. Hanging out in the front row with Peter Adkison and saving his seats. Having Gigli come up to the youngest Gelfling and I backstage and telling us how talented and lovely the girls were.
-speaking with the GAMA peeps in the booth next to ours. I've learned a lot of stuff from these guys, and had my ego blown up a lot, too- they consider the ENnies to be the standard to which to aspire. Good folks.
-going through the dealer hall and collecting product for next year's Awards. Why no, Ms Customs Officer, I have nothing to declare! I've got ten boxes full of product waiting to ship out as soon as the next crop of judges are elected. Hooyeah- and there's some AWESOME stuff in there, too. Having Kevin from Palladium give me autographed copies of his leatherbound books to auction off for the fund raiser was sweet. Having Dave Arneson autograph one of the last existing hardcovers of Blackmoor book (also to auction off) very sweet indeed.
-the drive back from Indy with fusangite- much planning and plotting for next year

The ENnies:
-arriving at 6pm (the earliest we were allowed access to the room) to discover that they'd set 10 tables with 12 chairs each instead of the 20 tables with 10 chairs I'd requested. And no theatre seating. Quick panic to arrange for more chairs. Seating plans totally shot.
-a lot of other backstage crap that could've been solved with better planning that I will deal with, but rest assured, next year will be considerably better. If you have suggestions or wish to volunteer talent or services, email me.
-I never got to have any of the food, but hope it was nice.
-Air conditioning not working (we called engineering 3 times, I kept the doors open, etc). As a matter of fact, I missed large chunks of the ceremony because I was in the hall or backstage guarding the door.

-pleasantly surprised by the calibre of the presentation that Rich Burlew made, considering he's an unexperienced public speaker. Not to say everybody else sucked, but he totally shone. He has also confided in me that he plans a product line that will sweep next year's ENnies. Look out world! Piratecat was even better this year than last.

-Totally geeked out, hanging with Mike Pondsmith, Peter Adkison, having Justin Achilli dj my party, Robin Laws, etc. Honoured that Rick Loomis and a bunch of other gaming luminaries dropped by. Happy to see lots of people enjoying the games provided. It was a room full of awesome people- I just wish we could've had more room.

-with regards to the room situation, I printed 300 programmes, and we ran out before 8, and were still cramming people in. (Thanks RangerWickett for "borrowing" extra chairs from the room next door). The official capacity for the room we were in was 320. So if anyone asks, we had 319 people in attendance, no more.

-disappointed that so many people bailed as soon as the ceremony was over. I don't know how much the DJ rig is going to cost me, but it was frustrating to see all these people I'd thought were going to stick around scatter to the winds. Ah well, those of us who stuck around had a great time without y'all. Nyah nyah. And Thunderfoot truly did the worm. He rocks.

-achilles DJ'd until midnight. I bought him four beers. He staggered out to use the loo to which I offered directions- out the door, turn left and left again, walk down the hall towards the elevator bank. As he was leaving, he said that he didn't pee soon, he would explode. Two minutes later, I was leaving, I turned left, then left again, but was stopped from walking towards the elevator banks because of the huge puddles of water and falling ceiling tiles. I was convinced that Justin had exploded. Apparently 'twas just a water main. ASIDE: As a result of the water main breaking and the water pouring down to the floors below, the anime rooms needed to be evacuated. The following night, during the Gen Con dance, ceiling tiles fell down again. I suggested to the Auxiliary Events person that the next motto for Gen Con should be "Come watch anime. This time, we won't miss."

-dropped by the FanPro booth to collect entries for next year, and was told that as a result of the ENnie wins, Shadowrun (to the surprise of everyone there) almost sold out. Apparently people would go to their booth and say that as a result of the ENnies, they were ready to give SR another chance. M&M apparently sold out as well, and I had people trying to buy my display copy off me. Rich Burlew (and a bunch of other people) stopped by the booth to ask where they could buy a copy of Dread. So to all the peeps in the past who said that the ENnies did not have any significant effect I offer the following: "neener neener neener" (and I still maintain that the ENnies aren't supposed to have any market effect- we're about highlighting great product and celebrating excellence... this is just an added bonus)

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Lhorgrim said:
I learned much during my time at the party. For one thing, it is almost impossible to tell a story about "Shape Shifting Space Lizards" if you're drunk. It is however very entertaining if someone tries to tell a story about "Shape Shifting Space Lizards" while drunk.

killinme.gif

Yup. That'll go down in history as a GenCon classic.

That's Hot. ;)

FickleGM

Explorer
Dextra said:
-disappointed that so many people bailed as soon as the ceremony was over. I don't know how much the DJ rig is going to cost me, but it was frustrating to see all these people I'd thought were going to stick around scatter to the winds. Ah well, those of us who stuck around had a great time without y'all. Nyah nyah. And Thunderfoot truly did the worm. He rocks.

You have my apologies for leaving early, but I am totally glad that I did...of course where I went "never happened", but I'll happily repeat it not happening again next year.

You are most welcome for the small part I did helping with the booth. We had much more assistance putting it up this year (heck much of the work was done by the time Cindy and I got there - it's Gabriel, by the way). I'm still not confident with the packing job I did on the one case.

Anyway, as always, it's a pleasure to see you, Jake and the Gelflings. It is also a pleasure to help out with the booth. I look forward to helping out again next year.

Take care.

Rodrigo Istalindir said:
<SNIP>
Finished up with BelenUmeria's Midnight game with Old One, Thunderfoot, Rystil, and dammit I'm sorry but I can't remember the name of the guy playing Feargus. I'd been really looking forward to this, as I'd bought all the 1st ed Midnight stuff and never got to play. He didn't disappoint -- he had the mood down perfect, and we all worked really well together. And I got to discover a new way to fight things with reach -- send in the monk to soak up the AoOs. :lol: <SNIP>
Hey, I resemble that remark! :D
And Tkmjcw was the other player.

Thunderfoot said:
Hey, I resemble that remark! :D
And Tkmjcw was the other player.

Heh...noticed I switched to the bow after the first fight :cool:

But I did screw up....I should have sent the half-giant in after the behir so it'd fill its tummy and not have room for me.

Remove ads