Incarnum CAmpaign Anyone?

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
Isida: id say the soulcasters are the old school, while arcane spellcasters wlould be seen as the rebels or new resistance. multiclassing s the two might be a confusing thing t most people though scholars would see the benefits, though doing so might be a bit controverisal to the more old school folk out there. and 'pure' rebels might look down on you for melding the two distinct forces together. sounds interesting :)

Moritheil:
  • any non evil, preferably neutral (so as not to conflict with the hierarchs) though non-neutral would create good RP options.
  • The way i use alignment, its how it is in Eberron - less of a concrete rule, more a gauge of how to RP the character. The region you'll be starting in (caledonia) has one major religion - that of the Hierarchs. there are many other heathen religions, mostly practies by 'uncivilised' (as viewed by the hierarchs) druids and nomad tribes. some of these venerate good nature spirits, others pay tribute to wicked elemental forces.
  • As regarding classes, i have no objections to anything... though the hierarchs might :) in general the most accepeted classes wpuld be those from MoI and PH1 and 2, thoug harcane classes are viewed with suspicion in some areas. The les comon classes would be assumed to be what they most closely appear to be (favoured souls are clerics to most people, scouts are just assumed to be rangers etc)
  • No caps on skills other than the normal, and no houserules i can think of at the moment (though most house rules i use are so ingrained in my mentality they are not really house rules to me - ill have a look through the PH and see if theres anything. Iam quite liberal with rules though)
  • anything else you want me to elaborate on, just ask

moritheil

First Post
Nalfeshnee - Thanks for the quick replies! :D

- How will you determine knowledge of creatures for spells like polymorph or illusions? (Some DMs use knowledge checks; others require that a character have encountered something in order to polymorph into it or make a convincing illusion.)
- I know the use of Precocious Apprentice to qualify for prestige classes is controversial. What is your stance on that? (PrecApp allows a 1st-level arcane caster with a casting ability score greater than 15 to know and cast one 2nd-level spell per day provided that he makes a spellcraft check. Many people assert this can qualify a multiclass character for a PrC requiring 2nd-level arcane casting. Many others oppose that interpretation.)

Since the Sapphire Hierarchs are, IIRC, priests of universal order, I'm considering an Enforcer (LN paladin variant; DR310 p.53, arguably weaker than a normal paladin due to the loss of the iconic healing ability) if we are to be working under them. The Enforcer has an ability I'd like a clarification on:

Subdue(DR310 p54) – The Enforcer can inflict non-lethal damage without taking a –4 attack penalty. If attacking with a weapon designed to do non-lethal damage (e.g., a sap), the Enforcer gains a +2 bonus on the weapon’s damage.

Is a Merciful weapon "designed to do non-lethal damage?"

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
Moritheil - i do what i can :)

• where possible ill use a knowledge check (ill make a lore table for any creatures you encounter, in similar vein to the ones used for newer monsters)
  • We've had the same difficulty with Precocious Apprentice in my group and weve ruled that in order to truly qualify to cast level 2 spells (as a relevant example) you must be able to cast them without recourse to any checks or failure chance (other than from armour), so the feat would not allow you to quallify. sorry.
  • if you could give me a list of the chanes to the class, that would be good (is it in any other published format?)
  • The merciful weapon would be designed to inflict non-lethal damage

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Excellent! Due to the somewhat political nature of the campaign world, I think the soulcaster would be more fitting. I shall write up the charcter sheet forthwith!

Last edited:

moritheil

First Post
I understand. I asked mainly because without that it's impossible to play a "dual threat" at level 6. :p

Background in progress.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Ok, here's my preliminary character sheet and background. I'm going with the soulcaster concept for now. Lemme know if you need anything changed/expanded/explained further. [sblock]Vivianna Spellsoul
Female Azurin Good Incarnate 2/Wizard 3/Soulcaster 1

Medium Humanoid (Incarnum)
Alignment: Lawful Good
Height: 6' 2''
Weight: 200 lbs
Hair: Black
Eyes: Sapphire Blue
XP: 17,471

Str: 8 (-1) [0 points]
Dex: 14 (+2) [6 points]
Con: 14 (+2) [6 points]
Int: 20 (+5) [13 points, +1 level, +2 headband]
Wis: 14 (+2) [6 points]
Cha: 9 (-1) [1 point]

Class and Racial Abilities: Extra feat at 1st level, essential pool increased by 1, incarnum subtype. Aura of good, detect evil, chakra bind (crown), meldshaping, good aligned soulmelds, arcane spells, bonus feats, summon familiar, proficient with all simple weapon, light and medium armor, and shields (except tower shields)

Hit Dice: 3d4+2d6+1d4+12
HP: 33
AC: 15 (+2 Dex, +3 armor)
Init: +2 (+2 Dex)
Speed: 30ft

Saves:
Fortitude +6 [+4 base, +2 Con]
Reflex +1 [+1 base, +0 Dex]
Will +10 [+8 base, +2 Wis]

BAB: +2
Melee Atk: +0 (1d4-2/19-20/x2/S, dagger)
Ranged Atk: +4 (1d8/19-20/x2/80 ft., light crossbow)
Ranged Atk: +5 (ranged spells)

Skills:
Concentration +11 [9 ranks, +2 Con]
Knowledge (arcana) +14 [9 ranks, +5 Int]
Knowledge (the planes) +14 [9 ranks, +5 Int]
Knowledge (religion) +14 [9 ranks, +5 Int]
Listen +4 [0 ranks, +2 Wis, +2 Alertness]
Spellcraft +16 [9 ranks, +5 Int, +2 synergy]
Spot +4 [0 ranks, +2 Wis, +2 Alertness]

Feats:
Incarnum Spellshaping (MoI) (azurine bonus 1st level)
Practiced Spellcaster (ComArc) (1st level)
Weapon Focus (ranged spells) (3rd level)
Bonus Essentia (MoI) (6th level)

Languages: Common, Draconic, Sylvan, Celestial, Elven

Spells Per Day
Save DC +5
0th – 4detect magic x2, prestidigitation, read magic
1st - 5Kelgore’s fire bolt (PHB II), lesser orb of cold, lesser orb of sound x2, magic missile
2nd - 3incarnum arc x2 (MoI), Melf’s acid arrow

Spellbook
0th – acid splash, arcane mark, dancing lights, daze, detect magic, detect poison, flare, ghost sound, light, mage hand, mending, open/close, prestidigitation, ray of frost, read magic, resistance
1st – 8comprehend languages, burning hands, detect incarnum (MoI), identify, Kelgore’s fire bolt (PHB II), lesser orb of acid (ComArc), lesser orb of cold (ComArc) lesser orb of sound (Com Arc), magic missile
2nd – 4incarnum arc (MoI), Kelgore’s grave mist (PHB II), Melf’s acid arrow, suppress magic (MoI)

Meldshaping
Save DC +2, Meldshaper level 3
Chakra binds (crown) – 1
Essentia pool – 5
Soulmelds – Incarnate 3

Soulmelds shaped:
Incarnate:
Crown – Lesser Soulspark Familiar (bound)
Throat – Arcane Focus - +1 bonus on spell damage
Shoulder – Mantle of Flame – Creatures attacking her take 1d6 fire damage

Essentia Investments – 1 in incarnum arc for Arcane Investment. 2 in Arcane Focus. 2 in Soulspark Familiar. When incarnum arc is cast, both points from Soulspark Familiar go to power it, and afterwards the 2 points go back and the 3rd goes to Mantle of Flame.

Brandy, cat familiar: Tiny magical beast; HD 3: hp 16; Init +2; Spd 30 ft.; AC 16 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +2 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 14; Base Atk +2; Grp -10; Atk: Claw +6 melee (1d2-4); full Atk: 2 claws +6 melee (1d2-4) and bite +1 melee (1d3-4); Space/Reach 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.; SQ low-light vision, scent, alertness, improved evasion, share spells, empathic link, deliver touch spells; AL LG; SV Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +11; Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 7, Wis 12, Cha 7.

Skills and Feats: Balance +10, Concentration +9, Climb +6, Hide +14*, Jump +10, Knowledge (arcane) +7, Knowledge (the planes) +7, Knowledge (religion) +7, Listen +5, Move Silently +6, Spellcraft +9, Spot +5; Alertness, Weapon Finesse.

Cats have a +4 racial bonus on Climb, Hide, and Move Silently checks, and a +8 racial bonus on Jump checks. Cats have a +8 racial bonus on Balance checks. They use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Climb and Jump checks. *In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus rises to +8.

”Saffrie” Lesser Soulspark Familiar: Tiny outsider (good, incarnum, native); HD 4d8+8: hp 26; Init +6; Spd 20 ft., fly 30 ft. (perfect); AC 16 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +2 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 14; Base Atk +4; Grp -8; Atk: Soul blast +8 ranged (1d6+2); Full Atk: Soul blast +8 ranged (1d6+2); Space/Reach 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.; SA: Soul blast; SQ amorphous, damage reduction 3/evil, evasion; AL NG; SV Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +5; Str 10, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 6, Wis 13, Cha 15.

Skills and Feats: Diplomacy +4, Hide +17, Knowledge (history) +5, Listen +8, Move Silently +9, Sense Motive +8, Spot +8; Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes.

Equipment
Backpack - 2gp
2 daggers – 4gp
Bedroll – 5sp
4 potions of cure light wounds – 200gp
Headband of Intellect +2 – 4,000gp (This is a light blue silk headband embroidered with bright blue embroidery, a tiny star sapphire set in the center)
Bracers of Arrow-Breaking – 4,320gp (This is a set of sky-blue leather bracers sewn with silver embroidery and small blue lace agates. When the word “She’laray” is uttered, it erects a faint glowing shield around the wearer that protects her from arrows and other projectiles) [sblock]This is a custom-made item per the rules in the DMG pg. 285. It’s a second level spell, cast at third level. It’s command word-activated and can only be used two times a day.[/sblock]
+1 cord armor – 2,185gp (This is woven cord armor, made from indigo-dyed fibers of various plants, worn under a quilted cotton jerkin of a similar hue) [sblock]Cord armor is from the Arms and Equipment Guide. It gives a +2 armor bonus and has a max Dex of +5. Armor check penalty is normally –1, but with it being masterwork this particular suit doesn’t have it. It does have an arcane spell failure rate of 5%, which I’m willing to risk[/sblock]
Pearl of power 1 – 1,000gp
Five 100gp pearls – 500gp
Light crossbow and 30 bolts - 38gp
Waterskin - 1gp
50 ft. silk rope - 10gp
Trail rations (20 days worth) - 10gp
Belt pouch - 1gp
2 courtier’s outfits and jewelry – 160gp
Explorer’s outfit x5 – 50gp
Traveler’s outfit (Free)
3 Self-created scrolls of detect incarnum cast at 3rd level – total of 112.5gp, 9 XP
Self-created scroll of suppress magic cast at 4th level – 100gp, 8 XP
Self-created scroll of comprehend languages cast at 4th level – 50gp, 4 XP
Self-created scroll of Kelgore’s grave mist (PHB II) cast at 4th level – 100gp, 8 XP
Light horse, riding saddle, bit and bridle, plus saddlebags – 91gp

Money
103gp

~~~~~

Appearance: Vivianna is a tall and statuesque woman with a long fall of raven-black hair confined by a blue headband. Her skin is very pale, and her features are sharp and pointed, like an unfinished statue. She wears heavy cord armor, died a deep indigo, while her other accessories range from sky-blue to sapphire. A glowing sapphire necklace pulses at her throat, and a cloak of blue flame trails from her shoulders. While startling in appearance, it’s clearly that the flames neither hurt her nor anything around her. At her feet pads a cat with thick blue-gray fur and brilliant emerald eyes, and a sapphire blue globe hovers above her shoulder.

Personality: Vivianna is a rare personality, a scholar of ancient mysteries and magic who also holds deep religious convictions. While logical and methodical, she embraces the power of the soul as the supporting force behind the cosmos, and considers both to be equally valuable.

Background: Vivianna was born to purely human parents, both keepers of a graveyard in a large city. Perhaps it was the lingering spirits of the dead, or the prayers of those they left behind, or the daily rituals of the priests at the church in the valley, but an essence of the soul-power of incarnum had touched Vivianna in the womb and changed her.

Her parents did not know what to make of her. Her bluish eyes were a bit odd, but nothing seemed to come of them really. She could see fine and was perfectly healthy. She was intelligent and a bit precocious, but what parent would complain? It became clear, however, that their daughter was simply not suited for their life. She was not strong enough to spend her days digging graves and pulling weeds, and was far too intelligent besides.

With a touch of pride, they had her tested by one of the learned wizards of their city, a group of new but obviously highly-educated people. So high was her potential, they allowed her to enroll in their college without the usual fat fee, bartering instead on her future skills to repay her education. In this, Vivianna did not disappoint. Bright and capable, she absorbed her lessons in magic with the greatest of ease. However, she had a few curious habits that puzzled others around her. She frequented the tiny chapel, not just to pray for inspiration from the god of magic as her fellow students did, but to pray for the unborn and the recently departed. Most assumed it was because she grew up in such a religious family, but Vivianna seemed to feel some personal connection to these disembodied souls that went beyond simple piety.

Many wizards studied the many planes of existence to learn how to connect their magic and discuss the underlying theory of its working. Vivianna spent a great deal of time focusing on the many places of heavenly reward, hellish punishment, and gray limbo for the purpose of nothing relating to magic. Other wizards studied religion to understand the meaning behind certain rituals, Vivianna did it to learn about the nature of souls.

Her teachers became baffled as the bright Vivianna’s progress slowed considerably. She was quite competent with magics of a lower tier, but her focus and energy seemed divided, and she was distracted from mastering the higher tiers of magic. Her teachers’ questions went unanswered as Vivianna spent her last two years at school teaching apprentice lessons to pay for her education.

It was only when she returned to them after a year away that her teachers realized why she had slowed. She clearly bore the signs of being an incarnum wielder, wearing the elegant, soul-wrought constructions empowered by soul energy. Beyond that, she had found ways to weave the two together in an unusual way. It was extremely rare that anyone chose such a path, and her teachers wondered what would become of her…[/sblock]

Last edited:

gabrion

First Post
Well I've been watching this thread on and off and I think I may submit a character (if it isn't too late). I'm thinking of playing a LN Sapphire Hierarch who basically just epitomizes that organization's beliefs (very confident and certain that the hierarchs are the best force for the land, despite what some less enlightened folk might think).

For an actual build, I'm thinking of an Illumian Cleric 1/Incarnate 2/Sapphire Hierarch 3 using the Improved Sigil (Krau) to qualify for the PrC. Thoughts?

Remove ads