Incarnum CAmpaign Anyone?

moritheil

First Post
Enforcer rules for all 20 levels can be found at Crystalkeep here. As I said before, I'm interested in it for the RP angle, not for the crunch, so if you want to rule that its powers are instead identical to the paladin I'm totally okay with that. :D I believe that Crystalkeep made a few typos in the alternate paladin setting; here is another place where the Enforcer stats have been printed in full (this time with accurate rules text). The Crystalkeep version is valuable because it allows you to see at a glance what they lose/gain relative to normal paladins.

I did a lot of wrestling with whether or not I should drop arcane casting altogether, as I had to more or less totally rewrite the background (the original concept's life epiphany was his sorcerous awakening.) Ultimately, I'd still rather not burden the party with a useless character.

Aranar

Aranar grew up in a small, unremarkable village. His father, an aasimar, perished while guarding a caravan, and his mother was forced to work, leaving the child with little direction aside from the whispers of others concerning his father. Aranar spent much of his youth listening to the village priest's wonderful tales of the great cosmic order that determined the proper place for everything in reality, and taking in the village gossip of what a good man his father had been. When the time came to determine his lot in life, the choice had been made long before - Aranar saw his father and the Sapphire Hierarchs as shining examples of what people ought to be.

With this understanding of the cosmos, Aranar accompanied an acolyte to a city and devoted himself to upholding the cosmic order. Training as a cleric was not easy, but his rugged determination was borne through by the fact that he simply could not concieve of any other path in life for him. With this mindset, he perservered.

It gradually became apparent that his devotion to order granted him powers separate from those resulting from normal priesthood. When the Hierarchs became aware of this, they sent for the boy and had him retrained. Now, as he prepares for new missions under the Hierarchs, he wonders what wonderous mysteries of fate he will see next. His experiences have only served to solidify his devotion.

Aranar is short but solidly built, and his blue eyes have more than a touch of the fanatic in them. While he is not particularly gullible, he earnestly believes in the inherent rightness of law and order.

moritheil

First Post
A closer reading of the Enforcer text has just reminded me of something: Enforcers may not adventure with chaotic characters. Since we're working for the Sapphire Hierarchs (priests of law and order), I'm hoping none of you are chaotic. ;)

Nalfeshnee - I just realized that, sadly, a merciful weapon would cost at least 8k, putting it beyond the "less than half of 13,000 gp" requirement. Oh well. At least I still have the ability to subdue people without taking -4 to hit. Here's my sheet (items and skills have yet to be done.)

What is the favored weapon of Law? Different splatbooks give different answers.

Since Enforcers get rebuke, I assumed that the cleric part should also be made to rebuke and stack - otherwise, I'd have a separate set of rebukes and turns, which would be very strange, but would help me with a bit of healing. I've gone ahead and assumed that it should be rebuking for consistency.

[sblock]CHARACTER NAME : Aranar the Devoted
RACE (ECL) : Human (+0)
CLASS (LEVEL) : Cloistered Cleric 1/Enforcer 5
... NET LEVEL : 6
ALIGNMENT : LN
SIZE : Medium
SPEED : 30 ft.
TYPE : Humanoid Human

Background: See previous post

EXPERIENCE : 17500 xp
CASH : 13000 gp - expenses

ABILITY SCORES: 32 point buy: 5+2+6+4+2+13 (assignment may be modified)
Str 13 (+1) (13/base)
Dex 10 (+0) (10/base)
Con 14 (+2) (14/base)
Int 10 (+0) (10/base)
Wis 12 (+1) (12/base)
Cha 18 (+4) (17/base +1/bon)

SAVES
FORT +9 (2/cc 1/enf 2/con 4/cha)
REF +5 (1/enf 0/dex 4/cha)
WILL +12 (2/cc 5/enf 1/wis 4/cha)

HIT POINTS : 6 +5d10 +12 =
ARMOR CLASS
Standard : 19 (10/base 6/armor)
Touch : 13 (10/base 0/dex)
Flat-Foot : 16 (10/base 6/armor) Uncanny Dodge

INITIATIVE : +0 (0/dex)
BASE ATTACK : +5
RANGED : +5 (0/dex 1/enh)
MELEE : +6 (1/str 1/enh 1/wf)

WEAPONS

LANGUAGES
Common, Draconic

RACIAL TRAITS
+1 Bonus Feat, +1 skill point per level

CLASS FEATURES
Cloistered Cleric: Domains Fate (Uncanny Dodge), War (Weapon Focus)
Bonus domain: Knowledge (class skills: Know(all), +1 CL to divination)
6 base skill pts, d6 HD, 1/2 BAB, bardic lore, expanded spell list
Rebuke Undead (3+Chamod/day) 7/day
Enforcer: Chamod to saves, detect chaos, smite chaos 2/day (+chamod atk, +5 dam), Suggestion 1/day, Leadership +1

*Fate: CWar p114. Cloistered cleric is from Unearthed Arcana.

FEATS
Cha 1 . Able Learner (all skills cost 1 point*)
Cha 1 . Dreadful Wrath (Enemies within 20' Will save DC 17 or shaken. No retry.)*
Clr 1 . Weapon Focus (+1 to hit)
Cha 3 . Ecclesiarch (Gather Information and Know (local) are In-Class. +2 bonus to Leadership score.)
Enf 5 . Leadership (score: 13 = 6/level 4/cha 2/ecc 1/enf; 10 1st and 1 2nd-level follower. Cohort lvl 4.)
Cha 6 . Divine Vigor (Standard Action - use one Rebuke; gain +10’ move, +2 temp HPs/HD for Chamod minutes.)
Cha 9 .
Cha12 .
Cha15 .
Cha18 .

*Able learner: The cross-class skill rank limit is not raised by this feat. However, per normal rules for multiclass characters, max skill ranks use the in-class value if a skill is in-class for any class you possess. RoD p150.

*When you Charge, make a Full Attack, or cast a spell that targets an enemy or includes an enemy in its area of effect, you gain the Frightening Presence ability for that round. Each enemy within 20’ is Shaken for 1 minute (WillNeg DC = 10 + ½ Character level + Charisma modifier). A creature may only be targeted by this Extraordinary Morale effect once per 24 hours (whether the save is successful or not). PGF p38.

SKILLS

EQUIPMENT

CLER SPELLS:
0 -
1 -

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
Gabrion - you need ability to cast 2nd level divine spells, not a higher CL to qualify for the PC. Though other than that, the concept is fine. I also have some ideas regarding Illumians (though feel free to elaboate) -

when the humans were discovered, some of them realised what the world was coming to, so they left the humans and the others to their own devices and left, seeking solitide and wisdom. Thus the illumians were born. Like the other non-base races, they are pretty integrated with human culture in most cities (though they retain their own sanctuaries in far-off places)

gabrion

First Post
Nalfeshnee said:
Gabrion - you need ability to cast 2nd level divine spells, not a higher CL to qualify for the PC. Though other than that, the concept is fine. I also have some ideas regarding Illumians (though feel free to elaboate) -

when the humans were discovered, some of them realised what the world was coming to, so they left the humans and the others to their own devices and left, seeking solitide and wisdom. Thus the illumians were born. Like the other non-base races, they are pretty integrated with human culture in most cities (though they retain their own sanctuaries in far-off places)

I was actually going to ask you how Illumians would exactly fit into the world, since I've seen them handled in many different ways. I like the general sketch you put forth though. I would add that the general tension within the Illumian community is between two groups. The first believe that the rest of the world is not only a mess, but that it isn't worth trying to help. The second believe that the Illumians, as the superior race, need to help the rest of the world. My character would be among the second group, which is why he came to work for the Hierarchs in the first place, viewing them as the one potentially "clean" force in the world.

As for the requirements, I think if you take a look at the Improved Sigil (Krau) feat you'll notice that it doesn't raise caster level, it actually raises the level of the spell rather than giving a higher CL. Also, do you allow flaws by any chance?

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
strange. I read the feat twice before posting before, and was sure it said CL! while it does raise the effective level of the spell, i woul like the party to be roughly the same power level, and granting you three levels of the prestige class would bump your abilities up a bit too much. As it is now, beginning at level 6, you can have 1 level of Hierarch, if you would still consider being that character

gabrion

First Post
Nalfeshnee said:
As it is now, beginning at level 6, you can have 1 level of Hierarch, if you would still consider being that character

I probably wouldn't. The thing is, classes that mimic what the Mystic Theurge do (since that was the first dual progression PrC) are notoriously weak, which is why people try to find early entrance. For a primary caster, like a cleric or wizard, giving up spellcasting levels is rarely worth it.

The Sapphire Hierarch is no different. The Incarnum abilities that come with the class are pretty awful (most notably that you don't gain the ability to bind chakras) and the class cuts back BAB to 1/2, so it's a hard sell for a cleric to abandon two levels of cleric to get in. The payoff needs to be pretty high to do this and Cleric 3/Incarnate 2/SH 1 doesn't do it. To be honest, I was seriously doubting that Cleric 1/Incarnate 2/SH 3 was worth it, which was why I asked about flaws so I could go Cleric 1/Incarnate 1/SH 4 (keeping the ability to cast 3rd level spells).

Anyway, those are my thoughts. If you really think such a character is way ahead of the power curve, then I can't really argue that you should allow it.

As a final point/question, so far I've been looking at early entry on the cleric side of things, but I may not need that. Would you allow a Cleric 3/Incarnate 1/SH 2 assuming it meets the requirements?

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
gabrion, I'm playing the soulcaster, and that's an arcane/meldshaper theurge-esque class. I believe she will be viable, but with the lower power level I just have to be very clever in how I play. Cleverness will save the day. Being able to use essentia to power spells helps with the caster level drain, and the Practiced Spellcaster feat can help keep your spells on an even keel. Even if you don't have that, just pick your spells and soulmelds carefully. I saved money on weapons by selection of my soulmelds, and put that back into my armor. You'll do fine! :)

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
if there are two such casters in the party, i think its an even more viable choice. at least there's someone else like you. And you'll never run out of things to do :)

Remove ads