Urn Your Pay (Rae judging)

Jerrand Redband

First Post
Cyian

"I'll... I'll take the bow, Gildrim." Cyian says after Ter-raen doesn't take the weapons." It would be better to not give someone a chance to get to close again. And we shouldn't let it go to waste." And maybe I won't have to see someone bleeding that close ever again. The young warrior thinks.

[sblock=ooc] A little meta-gaming and character development in one. Might run out of bullets or Erf might because I don't think it will be easy to get them back if we go slinging them around in the swamp. I got back the lucky bullet but not the other down to nine.[/sblock]

Halford

First Post
"Gildrim has the right of it, ain't going to save us time slogging through swamp. No we're for the road again, and Cragger's Rest."

Erf says, nodding to the Dwarf. When Gildrim plants the sword in the earht Erf's eyes lite up,

"Yeah and some farmhand will pick it up just in time to save his village from goblins and become a hero and then he'll win the hand of his Lord's daughter, and such! A bitte destiny, and whatnot! See Fenenn? I told you we'd have adventures! A bitte destiny sure as spring follows summer 'n I'm green!"

Much cheered the little gnome grins as Cyian takes up the bow and plucks up the other one slinging it over the back of his saddle - there's no point letting a good bow go to waste and they might make a bit of cash for it in Cragger's Rest.

"Well we best be going while we've still got the light, only a bitte travel and we'll be there before ye know it!"

Trouvere

Explorer
Halford said:
"Yeah and some farmhand will pick it up just in time to save his village from goblins and become a hero and then he'll win the hand of his Lord's daughter, and such!"
Gildrim shows his teeth through his beard in a quick grin. "Frae yer mouth tae Grendath's wagglin' ears," he says. He takes a moment to scrape the ground clear in front of the sword, takes his holy symbol from around his neck, and briefly presses it into the earth to leave an impression of crossed fingers.

"Sae yer farm lad kens hae tae thank. Aw reet, Ah think we kin be goin'. Jes' remember, thaur's twa enemies somewhaur aboot."

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
Healed and with renewed alertness, the party sets out down the road again. They camp for one more night, watching carefully for any signs of a return of the defeated bandits, but all is quiet. In the morning, they set off again.

(ooc: This is where I would normally award experience, but a certain gnome is still unapproved. Go bother some character judges, Halford! :))

The smell of swampland increasingly pervades the air, green and thick. From the road, you can see reeds and still water at times, but the weather holds and the road remains dry. By late afternoon, you can see buildings in the distance, which must be Cragger's rest.

(ooc: I'm going to pause here and ask what measures, if any, people have taken to clean themselves up after the battle. Ter-raen in particular looked awful after the fight, but all of you got some blood on you one way or another.)

Halford

First Post
[Sblock=OOC]Thanks Covaithe, I shall do some pestering!

Erf and Fenenn will find the first stream they encounter during their excursions and have a quick bath and splash around. I figure Erf is used to being in the wilds so this ought to be second nature.[/Sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Cragger's Rest

Between the occasional stream and Gildrim's magical cleaning, the party are reasonably presentable as they make their way into Cragger's Rest. Erf draws some stares, but for the most part the townsfolk react with a nod and a reserved smile.

Cragger's Rest is a small town, consisting of perhaps a hundred small houses, clustered around a large, well-appointed inn. The inn, and the smithy and general store across from it, are much larger than this small town would need, even if it were to triple in size. Still, the prices listed on a small, glass-framed sign near the door of the inn are quite reasonable. (ooc: Use SRD prices for food, lodgings, etc. If you want something "off the menu", make up a price that you think is fair; I'll speak up if I disagree.)

[sblock=Knowledge(local) DC 10]Cragger's Rest grew up around the inn, which was founded by a retired adventurer.
[sblock=DC 15]Times haven't been good for trade along this route recently, and travelers are few. The inn was founded by Cragger Tanabar[/sblock]
[sblock=DC 20]Cragger made his fortune fighting goblins in the Stonespike mountains.[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Bardic Knowledge DC 12]Ever since you heard the name Cragger's Rest, it's reminded you of a tune you once heard. As you walk into the town, the chorus suddenly springs into your head:

Oh, Cragger, he staggered
down from the mountain,
looking like yesterday's hat.
Maybe he'd better
Rest and recover,
Here where the land is flat.

If only you could remember how it started...

[sblock=DC 17]You remember the rest of the tune, and could perform it if you wanted:

Cragger went up in the Stonespikes, the leader
Of dozens of men, with a month's worth of beer,
A shiny new shield and a large chest for treasure,
And a face with a bloodthirsty leer.
Hey, a face with a bloodthirsty leer.

He combed the crags for goblins and trolls,
Leaving a copious banquet for crows,
But his trail of slaughter was brought to a halt
When it suddenly started to snow.
Hey, it suddenly started to snow.

Chorus:
Oh, Cragger, he staggered
down from the mountain,
looking like yesterday's hat.
Maybe he'd better
Rest and recover,
Here where the land is flat.

O Cragger, he led his men to a cleft,
A cave that gave shelter from snowfall outside.
They stacked up their kegs by the wall and they slept,
'Til the snow began to subside,
Hey, 'til the snowfall began to subside.

They rested three days in the sheltering cave,
Counting the gold that they'd seized from their foes,
And drinking their ale by way of ignoring,
The case of frostbite on their toes.
Hey, the case of frostbite on their toes.

Chorus

The third night of drinking, the snow was still falling,
And Cragger expounding on exploits of old,
When all of a sudden his men up and scattered,
Running out into the cold!
Hey, running out into the cold!

Cragger jumped up and stood, arms akimbo,
And gaped in amazement at his fleeing band.
'twas then that he spotted an extra-large Yeti
with an empty ale keg in each hand!
Yes, an empty keg in each hand!

Chorus

A mountain of muscles, white fur, and bad breath,
Wrapped 'round a core of malice and stink.
Cragger resolved to fight hard to the end,
When the yeti, she gave him a wink.
Hey, the yeti, she gave him a wink.

Cragger stood helpless, rooted with fear,
As the yeti beckoned and started to sway,
smiling with teeth like festering daggers:
Cragger, he fainted away.
Mighty Cragger fainted away.

Chorus

Well, Cragger, he never spoke of what happened,
While alone in the cave, but suffice it to say,
That if she hadn't happened to glimpse a young dire bear,
He might have been there to this day!
Hey, he might have been there to this day.

And when he came down, some three months later,
He swore that never, through thick and through thin
Would he ever set foot near the smallest of mountains:
"I quit, I'm starting an inn.
Hey, I quit, I'm starting an inn."
[/sblock][/sblock]

Jerrand Redband

First Post
Cyian

"I quit I'm starting an inn." "Hey that's it I'm starting an inn." Cyian sings the last lines quietly to himself. As they approach Cragger's Rest he asks if anyone else had heard the tune of old man Cragger if they haven't he'll sing (16) the song to the party. If anyone questions him he will tell them (honestly) that his mother use to sing it to him to make him laugh.

ooc:does that mean everyone get's to look at the bardic knowledge 17 check? Kind of what I was looking for, not to have to retype all that you wrote.

Remove ads