• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2007 ENnies Nominees - announced!

haiiro

First Post
Piratecat said:
I'd like to see Ennie-nominated companies put excerpts of products (a pdf of art, or a chapter of a book, etc.) on their web site, and make those links public here. I suspect that it could help their sales and their voting tremendously if people had a chance to become familiar with their products.

As a fansite, everything on Treasure Tables is free, and always available -- but the Top 25 Posts page makes a great point of entry into the site.

It covers a lot of ground, and it offers a good overview not only of what TT is all about, but also of the kind of posts, discussion and GMing topics that you'll find elsewhere on the site.

Based on the comments in this thread, I reworked TT's About page to lead with a "First Time Here?" section. Hopefully that will help!

jaldaen

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
I was a female caster-type. There were a couple players that detracted from the overall experience, but I think with the right group it would make a heck of a module. You did a really good job with the atmosphere and mixing the puzzles into the flow.

I think I remember the game you're talking about (and I think Sorcha, the Fire Maiden, might have been the character you played)... and from my own experiences running this adventure with the right group makes all the difference... and if you liked the puzzles before... now they are even more polished, entertaining, and flexible ;)

In fact I'll be turning in the final edits tomorrow... it probably won't make it out the door for Gen Con... but I'd rather have the best adventure I can put together and miss the Con, then let gremlins ruin it for everyone.

Last edited:

xrpsuzi

First Post
jaldaen said:
As for the Nevermore campaign setting it has a couple PDF supplements out (Liber Artefactorum; Lands of Nevermore: the Heartlands & the Wyrd) and more to come... I'm currently working on the Dreadlands supplement and enjoying the exciting epiphanies as they come to me ;)

FYI-Nevermore stuff is on-sale in celebration of the Gazetteer's nomination. Check this thread for more info.

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=201204

Big Trouble in Little Oakland events for Gen Con have unfortunately been cancelled since Joesph will not be able to attend, but they will be in stores for the holidays.

-Suzi

xrpsuzi

First Post
fusangite said:
What I have not seen from you is an explanation for why the next ENnies vote's finalists will bear such a strong resemblance to those in 2002 when
(a) the third-party publishing environment has changed
(b) ENWorld has changed
(c) the voter base has changed
(d) the companies entering the awards have changed
(e) the relationship between the awards and D20 system products have changed

I have no idea how WOTC will do in next year's awards. Because (a) of these changes and (b) we have no idea what products will be entered and which publishers will participate. Maybe WOTC will sweep the awards. Maybe they'll be annihilated. Maybe some outcome between those two will happen.

I agree with Fusangite on these points. Expeditious Retreat Press has entered the Ennies every year since 2003. Some years our products don't make the nomination list, other years we get nominated but have any failed to gather the votes necessary to win an award, and some years we get nominations and awards. Each year has a different climate and even the same category has unique circumstances from year to year that make the end result unpredicable.

While I'll understand the point that some companies do not have the name recognition and comparable budgets of WotC (or any other "bigger" company), I don't think that means WotC should be excluded in an fan-based award system that recognizes excellence in gaming material.

What I can rely on is that the judges will produce a solid and diverse list of nominees and the fans will vote on which products are best.

Exactly. The judges represent the fans, and when they pick the nominees, that's de facto a thumbs up from the fans. Getting an honorable mention or a nomination is a huge honor, even if one doesn't get the award. And it also emphasizes that every step of the voting is important and fans voting for the judges is just as vital as fans voting on the nominees.

I see the ENnies Awards as a unique conversation between fans and makers of gaming material, from the smallest to the biggest of publishers. That's what makes it cool. Fans have input in multiple steps of process.

Good Gaming,
Suzi

Last edited:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
CaptainChaos said:
Look at the list again. WotC won every category they had an entry in except one, and that was a minor category (Best Free Product).

(. . .)

WotC sells way more products than anyone else and EN World is a fan site dedicated to their game.

(. . .)

You don't think the D&D brand, 30+ years of market dominance, and sales orders of magnitude bigger than their competition are advantages?

Well, it appears there is only one thing for it, then. For the 2008 ENnies, Creative Mountain Games will simply have to enter and kick WotC's fanny perpendicular* in every category in which we both enter products next year. Mister Rouse, while I appreciate your seconding of the nomination (as a private citizen) of CMG in the "Fan's Choice: Best Publisher" category this year, I am afraid that I must now put WotC on notice!

As the willow breaks the mighty oak, and as the acorn grows until it's nuts, so shall I answer the call for a champion. And let us have none of your little corporate tricksies, Mister Rouse. No fair rushing out a new, OGL-less edition of the world's most populace rollplaying game. That would merely show the RPG industry your fear of this thrown gauntlet. The clock is ticking.

Good day, Sir!

I SAID, "GOOD DAY, SIR!"

*Figuratively speaking, of course.

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
GlassJaw said:
I'm a fan of the ENnies, I just wish I knew more about the products. I consider myself an avid gamer and buyer of all things RPG and I'm familiar with probably less than 25% of the products nominated. Not sure who's "fault" that is (and probably no one's), just something I feel worth mentioning.

I think that is part of the point of the awards, to give quality products, which might otherwise slip under the radar, increased recognition & exposure.

P

PaulofCthulhu

Just returned from Belgium, so this is my first chance to post.

I'd just like to say thank you very much to the ENnie Judges for all their hard work (and having read 'Master of the Game's blog - it's a tremendous amount) - and for selecting Yog Radio as as nominee for "Best Podcast/Vidcast". We stand in great company with our fellow nominees, and chosen from a large and excellent field.

Thank you, and good luck everyone!

Paul

Well - for starters I'd like to thank everyone for sending their thanks to the judges. The group this year was tenacious and I think we developed a pretty good dynamic. The other four judges are intelligent, articulate, and among the most awesomest gamers and I'm happy to call them my friends. They taught me a lot about the game and, while I was concerned that I would somehow be treated differently for being a woman, no such inequity occurred.

In short, my experience as a judge rocked socks. :)

GlassJaw said:
I'm a fan of the ENnies, I just wish I knew more about the products. I consider myself an avid gamer and buyer of all things RPG and I'm familiar with probably less than 25% of the products nominated. Not sure who's "fault" that is (and probably no one's), just something I feel worth mentioning.

One of the things that I found the most delightful about being an ENnies judge was the opportunity to get to know publishers and products that I wouldn't have otherwise. I consider myself a pretty avid gamer, as well, but there are products that I absolutely loved, but had never seen in a game store and probably wouldn't have purchased if it weren't for being selected as a judge.

In that respect, I think the ENnies is a great place to compile your list of Must Haves. If you haven't heard of a book that is nominated: pick it up. It'll be worth your money and you will expand your horizons and support some fantastic publishers.

yavftm

First Post
Dextra said:
I'm writing this from work, but thought I'd get the process started so that when I get home I can update your entry on the nomination page. Please email me at denise@ennieawards.com the following info:
-200 characters of text, spaces included describing the product.
-if nominated for an art category, list your art director and/or lead artists. If for cartography, then your mapmakers, etc. I know, much of the info is already on your entry form, but if I have to type in hundreds of nominees, I won't have a chance to finish it in a timely manner!
-150 x 150 pixel graphic. Most likely the cover of your product. jpg or gif
-link to a single page that has your product sample on it.

If you're nominated for Best Publisher, send me your company logo (once again 150x150 pixels) and up to 150 characters of text, spaces included describing the company.

Did you get our submission information via the folks at 12 To Midnight??? They were going to send this your way, but I don't think Preston has gotten an email back from you yet. Just wanted to make sure.

Charles White
Fabled Environments
2007 Ennie Award Nominee: Best Miniatures Product

If life is but a dream, then dreamers are those who see a vision of a reality soon to come.

Last edited:

yavftm

First Post
Voting

Hi Guys!

Since this is our first time through this process, basically what will the voting look like. I know that it will be online, but where and will folks be able to see how many votes have been cast for each entry on the ballots?

Thanks!

Charles White
Fabled Environments
2007 Ennie Award Nominee: Best Miniatures Product

If life is but a dream, then dreamers are those who see a vision of a reality soon to come.

Last edited:

Remove ads