The Test of Time

Erekose13

Explorer
[Introduction]

It is a cloudy overcast day this 17th of Secondmonth, which happens to fall on Resterday this year. The chill weather in Navael seems to match the solemn mood of Remembrance. Various stalls offer a variety of giant fare for everyone in the city to try and the central marketplace is a buzz with activity. Many stand to watch the plays being performed on the stage commemorating the last day of the Battle of Serpent's Heart when the last of the dramojh was defeated some 200 years ago.

The clouds overhead look threatening and there is a smell mingling with the masses of the marketplace that portents rain. Still people seem intent on taking part in the celebrations about town. Many of the faen and giant craftsfolk in the market are hawking various paintings and sculptures of heroes and great battles, certain to make quite the sale on this day.

Seon Morrowsong had left Thayn only a fortnight ago bound for where ever fate would take him on his insatiable quest for knowledge. Surely tales of the great Ollahm Lorekeepers, the bardic faen sages, would be found to the north in either Navael or the Harrowdeep. Fortune had favored him when he found out the schedule of events for this Remembrance here in Navael and he found himself in the marketplace watching a play about Go-Korim and his legendary conquest of the Zhorryn Bastion high above the Central Plains.

Shi-Torob, who's ancestors fought in the battles to free these lands from oppression had come to Navael for its widely acclaimed adherents to Rememberance. It was as if his whole life had been geared for the ceremonies conducted within the high temples of Navael on this day. The Steward of Navael, Ui-Narath, was known for her love of the faen and their inquisitive, mischeivious ways, was still a giant and one who respected her dead. One of the ceremonies had just finished in the high temple when Shi-Torob exited looking for something to releave his hunger. He found himself in the marketplace overrun by entirely too many people.

Rurrahr Plainsrunner had travelled far and wide to sample food and hear glorious tales. While most giantish cities became far to oppressive during Secondmonth, here in Navael where the faen danced among the streets true entertainment could be found. Hearty dishes baked with interesting mushrooms and roots could not contend with the spices of the south, but still they delighted his pallet. While the plays put on by giants were a little too rigid, the faen who commemorated this day did so with style.

K'trinaxes in his search for his fate, one that didn't involve his family's mercenary company, he found himself wandering the town of Navael. The weather this far north was significantly different he thought as he pulled his cloak about himself. The heat of the desert sun was distinctly absent, but then again so was the thirst. Drink and food abound in this market, as faen and giant, human and sibeccai mixed. Almost no one noticed his red skin or atleast they all seemed to preoccupied to take much notice.

Elrion Kyrik having just graduated from the academy in Naveal, spent his time wandering the market enjoying what had become a yearly occasion in his native Navael. Every year he would attend the plays put on by the faen company Dusklore. Not many appreciated their darker tone, but the tales they spun were always the most fastenating. Every year he would visit the market before the play looking for Loerem Portalwind and her delicious pretzel bread.

Milton Redhelm was also looking for direction, following the winds of fate. Deep in the northern part of the central plains, far from the water shore that had almost claimed his life he found that something tugged at his memory... Something seemed eriely familiar about this city, perhaps even the celebrations that were taking part here. He wandered the back alleys, staying away from the larger concentration of people in the market, preferring the lesser walked paths.

Suddenly, every heard a terrible commotion from the middle of the marketplace. A woman screams. Men shout. People run. Weapons are drawn.

[Posting]
I am a big fan of keeping a somewhat consistant style to posts. For the first page or so I would like you to put your character's name, race and class in the post title. Once we get into combat I would like you to put in the relevant combat stats as OOC comments at the bottom of the post. Colors are great, I prefer to use them only for speech, though if we all want to pick one color like deep purple for ooc comments it helps seperate them from the rest of the posts. One thing I would like to stick to is italics for thoughts and "" around speech, oh and preface any ooc comments with OOC:

[Links]

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
Soen Morrowsong - Faen Loresong Magister 1 (AC 12; Hp 8; Spells 3-0, 2-1st)

Today is a marvelous day to be out and about on this day of celebration. The wonders I have seen about this marketplace will be with me till the end of days. Once this fine play is done I will have to go visit the food vendors as I am becoming famished and parched with thirst. Looking around himself, I wonder what fun I could possibly have with a few innocent looking passerby. I should not have to worry too much about running for my life after a particular scathing practical joke. Who doesn't like seeing someone all of a sudden turn blue or glow? The memories of such shows always bring a chuckle to my body. By the stars what is that racket over yonder it is interrupting the show. Was that a scream I just heard, what is going on.
Looking upon the crowd and seeing that everyone seems to be fleeing the middle of the marketplace I wind my way through the fleeing throng to get a better view of the place. I will attempt to either find a vendors tent or a tree to climb up when I get within about 30' of the center of the marketplace if one arises. Basically I would like to get as close to the center as possible and get out of the way of the panicked mob so as to not get stepped on. From this vantage point I will make spot checks to see if I see what is going on.

Climb=11 and Spot=15

(ooc: I will post all my rolls under "Soen" on Invisible Castle and I like to use Slate Gray for thoughts and then Lime for speech but I can change to match the rest of the group)

Scotley

Hero
Rurrahr Plainsrunner Litorian Unfettered 1

Rurrahr scans the stages trying to decide which will offer the best story in the next round of performances. On hearing a scream, Rurrahr becomes alert and his nose wrinkles as he inhales the scents around him. Is there blood on the air? He tries to bring order to the riot of shouts, screams and movement bombarding his senses. He slips his large hand into the battle claw at his waist and unlimbers his shield into the ready position. He starts forward toward the center of the activity his curiosty aroused when perhaps he should simply walk away. He snarls (1d20+4=7) at any who come to close in their flight from the center of the market place.

OOC: Intimidate check, not as intimidating as he hoped!

AC: 20 Hp: 10

Last edited:

Lobo Lurker

First Post
K'trinaxes, Verrik male, Iron Witch 1 (AC: 17 (16 flat), Spot +3, Listen +3)

Erekose13 said:
Suddenly, every heard a terrible commotion from the middle of the marketplace. A woman screams. Men shout. People run. Weapons are drawn.
Remaining calm, K'trinaxes makes his way through the throng of giants, faen, sibeccai & humans who flee from the sounds of violence.

He regards them with equanamy. They run in fear, yet they don't know what they fear. What a waste of potential. K'trinaxes holds forth his hand as he advances. To any observers his hand is empty one moment, yet holding a sword an eyeblink later. It doesn't look much like a good weapon either. It doesn't shine like steel, instead it possesses the dull, dark luster of hard iron.

K'trinaxes will avance until he sees enough about what's going on to make an informed desision. He slides his shield off of his back and works it on to his arm. Now I'm ready. he thinks.

OOC: Summon Iron Blade.

Eonthar

Explorer
Elrion Kyrik, Human Mage Blade 1

What a wonderful day to graduate from the Academy. It is a shame that it is not as sunny and warm as it usually is on this day. I hope that it is not a bad omen.

Abdiel wandered through the crowd enjoying the shows and smiling at the young ladies. He was on his way to Loerem Portalwind's stand to get some of her world famous, or at least Navael famous Pretzel bread when a scream tore through the celebrations.

What was that? I'd better go investigate and make sure that there is no trouble.

Reacting before he had even finished his thought, Abdiel drew his longsword, his athame, and made his way against the current of the masses. Heading towards the scream, while everyone else moved away. "Excuse me, pardon me, coming through." Abdiel's large frame, and naked blade, helped him to make his way through the throng and approach the source of the confusion.

"Did anyone see what happened?"

OOC: What does he see?

OOC: I would prefer to use DarkOrange for spoken text, I find Lime a bit irritating. I hope no one else minds.

Last edited:

ender_wiggin

First Post
Milton Redhelm, Human Warmain 1

The man ducks and weaves his way through the narrow alleyways of the city, trying his best to remain inconspicous and out of the people's ways. He still didn't know what he what he was doing there, only that "Remembrance" had provoked a strong cord of curiosity, longing, and an itch in the back of his head.

Screams?

Milton looks up, a little disconcerted by the unnatural noises that permeate the area. He turns around in the narrow alley, and hustles toward the direction of the screams.

Steel?

At the sounds of weapons being drawn, Milton begins to jog, and unhooks the large shafted weapon from his back in a lithe, practiced motion, preparing himself for any armed conflict that may pursue.

Zoatebix

Working on it
Shi-Torob, Giant Champion of Death

Shi-Torob was palming one of the few remaining queens from his purse, eager to break it and buy a sweet pomegranate or two at a fruit-stand when he heard the shouts of fear and the sound of arms leaving their sheath. Something tells me that fear of Death shouldn't be quite this important or take such an immediate form on Remembrance, he thought, smiling to himself. He Fastens his shield to his left arm and draws a javelin as he strides toward the center of the comotion, relying on his swift legs and imposing stature to find a path through the crowd. He ignores a mild pang in his stomach as he leaves the food stall behind. The sweet fruits will have to wait - someone has to stand up for the solemnity our fathers and mothers deserve.

As he advances, Shi looks about watching for others moving against the crowd. Any ally is better than none in what could very well be grim work...

OOC: I use a move-action to ready my shield, and then move 40ft and draw a javelin as part of the move.
Spot (1d20+4=14)

Erekose13

Explorer
A Commotion in the Market Place

Soen manages to make his way to the nearest stall and nimbly climb up to get a good view of the commotion. The basket merchant doesnt seem to notice you, too intent on whatever is happening behind his stall.

Rurrahr moves quickly towards the centre, those people who were moving away avoid the angry glare on his face and naked blade in his hand.

K'Trinaxes, and Elrion both receive similar treatment as their weapons frighten off anyone in the way.

Shi-Torob from his position can see through the fruit stand to the centre of the market place. As people flee he makes his way around the row of stalls.

From various vantage points around the centre of the market place you all see a reptilian male dracha holding a female giant at bay with a warhammer. The giant reaches up to draw a greatsword slung on her back. Meanwhile, two human men stand on either side of the dracha, getting ready to pummel him with wooden clubs. One holds a large grey cloak in his hands.

A small crowd of people stands around these combatants, while others flee the area. Milton you see a bystandard calls for the city guard as you make your way towards the centre.

It’s clear no one else is going to get involved. The dracha, while outnumbered and outmatched, also appears quite fierce.

Scotley

Hero
Rurrahr Litorian Unfeatered

Rurrahr comes up short astonished by the scene before him. He shouts to the Giantess, "Ho Lady, why do you fight? What madness is this fighting in a public market and frightening simple people?"

Eonthar

Explorer
Elrion Kyrik - Human Mage Blade 1

Elrion, having heard the Litorian, approaches the confrontation mentally preparing a spell.

OOC: Elrion will move to square M13. If a real combat starts, and if it is not too windy, Elrion will cast Obscuring Mist which will cover the entire combat area, in an attempt to stop it.
Initiative: 9 + 3 = 12

Last edited:

Remove ads