Can the DM drive roleplaying?

Psion

Adventurer
I miss my old group. I used to have some really excellent roleplayers. The interplay between the different characters... and between the party and NPCs... was very rich, with very little direct pressuring by me.

But my current players aren't really into deep characterization. But I like a little character depth. Do you think trying to push the players into deeper roleplaying without their initiative is doable? What methods would you recommend/have worked for you when it comes to retiring role-players. It seems like all I can do is try to make interesting NPCs and hope it drives them to consider their character's reaction to it, but there seem to be no guarantees there.

Wraith Form

Explorer
I suspect you can encourage good role playing, but don't think you can "force" it. Lead by example, and all that. If they don't do it....uhh....find different players.

(That's why I haven't played D&D going on 2 years now....so maybe ignore my advice.) :uhoh:

Crothian

First Post
Yes, you can train them to be better roleplayers. Just start setting up some simple roleplaying encounters and see how they do. Expect them to be in character and role play for a little while.

I've always heard the maxim that the roleplaying in a group always sinks to the level of the least immersive roleplayer in the group. I don't know if that's exactly true. My current group are all good roleplayers, but I've had some luck inspiring wild swashbuckling maneuvers in place of more static tactical square movement by simply having the NPCs they're fighting do it.

So, I guess maybe it's doable, mostly in a "lead by example" kind of way. I don't know if instituting specific incentive programs other than that have any impact or not, though. Haven't really ever experimented with them.

the Jester

Legend
Reward roleplaying with xp. imc I use a system where at the end of each game each player tells me what he did in each of four categories- race, class, alignment and personal. As long as you roleplayed something (and just using your abilites doesn't count) for each category it counts; then I apply a multiplier (usually around 10, as high as 25 for a session with no combat and heavy rp) and multiply that by your level. So if you get all four categories in a game with no combat, and you're 2nd level, you get 200 xp (4 x 25 x 2).

If you explain at the start that you're doing this, it encourages players to try to rp for the xp. :) Works pretty well imho.

GlassJaw

Hero
I'd say yes, to an extent. If you get into it, some players will follow. Actually, some players need a little nudging. Start with some simple over-the-top personalities first. It's usually easier for an inexperienced or reluctant role-player to respond to a stereotype than something subtle.

GlassJaw

Hero
Reward roleplaying with xp

XP may help but it certainly won't break the ice. Some players have to want to role-play. Others merely have to be shown the way. An XP reward system is fine but not enough on its own IMO.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Like any administrative position, LEAD by example.

Learn
Engage
Act
Demonstrate

Learn what your players game for - what they enjoy about the game, whether gaining power or goodies, character development, butt-kicking, etc. Tie obtaining that goal to character interaction, no matter how small. They'll do more roleplay to get at that goal without even realizing it.

Engage your players - have the NPCs ask questions in the first person, addressing them by name, what have you. Even if the response is more out of character than in-character, challenging them to think more first-person than third will get them gently toward that mindset. BEWARE: Identify the players who just DON'T want to be center-stage, the more sociable players who mainly just enjoy contributing from the sidelines. Putting them in the spotlight can sometime make them resentful.

Act when you get a chance or see an opportunity. Anytime a player does take the initiative to roleplay, to speak in-character, to make a suboptimal choice because it's what the character would do, reward them tangibly and soon - a small XP gift, an action point, an M & M candy :) whatever sticks in all the players' minds.

Demonstrate how much fun you get out of in-character hijinks. Don't go making an NPC -to- NPC monologue for five minutes, or anything, but maybe one NPC interacts with another in a way that lets the players know that they don't get along, that there are factions to play off of or there are allies to be made, but only through engaging these allies mano-a-mano.

You're probably already doing several of these things, but I hope there may be one or two ideas in here that may spark a new technique or two for you.

John Morrow

First Post
Psion said:
But my current players aren't really into deep characterization. But I like a little character depth. Do you think trying to push the players into deeper roleplaying without their initiative is doable?

It depends on why they role-play. Some people enjoy the role-playing part of the game and other peopel enjoy other parts of the game. Of coruse there are also at least two different ways for players to role-play their characters the way you want, too. See Robin Laws' book Robin's Laws by Steve Jackson Games for a good overview of game styles and what they focus on. You may simply have a group with a different style than what you really want.

By all means try what other people suggest but don't be surprised if they don't change.

Remove ads