• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can the DM drive roleplaying?

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I don't think the DM can drive roleplaying, but they have to enable it if they expect it to happen.

I've found that interesting NPC encounters are the best way to get it to happen.

Personally I'm more than willing to let the players not roleplay during combat, I don't see combat encounters as very good roleplaying situations. Sure you can be graphic and descriptive, rather than using gamist language, but I do not think it adds that much to the roleplaying experience. In then end you and the players still have to deal with the mechanics of HP, AC feats, die rolls etc. I would rather keep combat moving and thereby have more chances to get to better, more interesting roleplaying opportunities. Not that I don't enjoy the combat aspect, I love it, but I see the combat and the roleplaying as two complimentary but separate aspects of the game.

Gwaihir

Explorer
Lots of good input on this thread.

Consider your group, if they don't WANT to roleplay, any changes will be incremental.
My group is currently saddled with one individual, who struggles to roleplay and has for 10 years. He has a great time sitting at the table and is not disruptive, but any stretching himself or effort is of no interest to him.

Remove ads