What OD&D and B/ED&D Adventures are the Best? List them here!

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
What are the best, all time, classic adventures?

This thread is to nominate the best OD&D and B/ED&D adventure modules. This includes modules created for use with the Companion, Masters and Immortals box sets, as well as the Rules Cyclopedia, but excludes 1st ed AD&D, 2nd ed AD&D and 3.0/3.5/D20 D&D, which will be covered in other threads.

It can include Judges Guild products from the 1970’s.

The focus is on for sale, free-standing adventures. Hence this thread excludes modules from Dragon, Dungeon, and other magazines (unless reprinted as a stand alone product) or ones that where only released as part of a rules supplements or campaign setting (with one special exception).

Here are some possible nominations:

OD&D
Blackmoor, Supplement II: Temple of the Frog*
JG: Lost Caverns of Thracia (original) +
JG: Tegel Manor+
Please list any others worthy of nomination

Basic and Expert
B1 In Search of the Unknown +
B2 Keep on the Borderlands +
B3 Palace of the Silver Princess (wide release)
B3 Palace of the Silver Princess (recalled)
B4 Lost City +
B5 Horror on the Hill+
B6 The Veiled Society +
B7 Rahasia +
B10 Night's Dark Terror +
X1 Isle of Dread +
X2 Castle Amber +
X3 Curse of Xanathon
X4 Master of the Desert Nomads +
X5 Temple of Death +
X7: War Rafts of Kron +
X10 Red Arrow, Black Shield
XL1 Quest for the Heartstone+
DA1 Adventures in Blackmoor +
DA2 Temple of the Frog (B/E) +
DA3 City of the Gods +

Companions, Masters and Immortals
CM1 Test of the Warlords+
CM3 Saber River+
CM4 Earthshaker!
CM9 Legacy of Blood+
M1 Into the Maelstrom
M2 Vengeance of Alphaks
M3 Twilight Calling +
M5 Talons of Night +
IM1 Immortal Storm

Hollow World
HWQ1 The Milenian Sceptre +

Which are classic, which are not, and what O/B/E D&D classics are missing!

*this is the exception

Nominations for other editions:
1st ed AD&D

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
I have to call B2 a classic; it offered everything a free-standing campaign would need up through 4th level.

X1 I would say is a classic because it contained, well, everything needed through 10th level or so!

X2 is great because it included the first horror/cthulhoid-oriented elements in D&D at the time.

The other modules, while great, I really didn't see as classics, in the sense of "OH, MY GOD, YOU NEVER PLAYED THOSE!!!???!!?"

Gotterdammerung

First Post
M3: Twilight Calling

I've based three complete campaigns around the characters and realms found in M3: Twilight Calling. I'd say that module has given me more for my money than any other I've owned.

-eric

rogueattorney

Adventurer
JG's Caverns of Thracia
B1 In Search of the Unknown
B2 Keep on the Borderlands
B4 The Lost City
B5 Horror on the Hill
B7 Rahasia
B10 Night's Dark Terror
X1 Isle of Dread
X2 Castle Amber
X4 Master of the Desert Nomads
X5 Temple of Death

Are the ones I'd consider classics. I'm not familiar enough with the CM/M/I modules to really make any call.

Of the other B/X level modules, many are pretty good, but not 'great' - B3, B8, X3, X7, X8, DA2, DA3, etc. Some are outright awful - B9, X6, X9, etc.

After ending the B and X series in about 1990, TSR didn't make that many adventures for D&D. However, the one that stands out for me is HWQ1 The Milenian Sceptre, a pretty good Roman Empire flavored module dealing with a half-god trying to turn off the sun.

I know you're not asking for adventures that were included in larger products, but three others that stand out for me that I thought I'd mention are:
The sample dungeon Zenopus' (sp?) Tower in the Holmes Basic set
The dwarf civil war scenario in GAZ6 Dwarves of Rockhome.
PC1 Tall Tales of the Fee Folk (or whatever it was called) has a scenario called something to the effect of "Case of the Missing Tax-Collector" - it has a great fairy tale feel and is one of my all time favorite 1st level adventuers.

R.A.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Thanks guys, just what I was looking for. The list above has updated, what else should be added, and for that matter, what should go?

dratz

First Post
B6 The Veiled Society was interesting. It gave the characters choices of which faction to join, and the events unfolded according to their choices.

Remove ads