Team Baldy's Tales From The OBO-ESRD Tavern! (Calling Hypersmurf)

Lazlow

First Post
ATTENTION!! Due to players dropping out, this thread has been closed. Hypersmurf, if you're still interested, please contact me in the other team's OOC thread.

In Character thread for...

Tales From The Old Bald One-Eyed Salty Red Dog Tavern!

Now, below are some ground rules I'd like for us (well, okay, you) to follow. Now, it may seem like a lot at first, but I guarantee that they will only help us (most importantly, me) keep track of what's going on a whole lot easier. So:

1) Let's try to stay in character in this thread; any quick and simple out of character comments/questions should be set off from the rest of the message like so:

===================
OOC: My butt itches sumpin' fierce

Longer or non-game-related OOC comments/questions should go in the OOC thread here.

2) I don't care how you refer to your character whilst in character on this thread; that is, I don't care if you refer to your character in the first person or third person. But do please try to be consistent - don't refer to your character in the first AND third person in the same post. (Yes, I've seen it happen. Most confusing.)

3) Please set off spoken words in quotes and in a color, like this: "My butt itches sumpin' fierce!"

4) If you like to describe your actions by keeping them separate from your dialog, please set them off in angle brackets like this:

<scratches butt sumpin' fierce, hocks loogie into spitoon>

Otherwise, just use a narrative style like this:

Roguey Bob scratches his butt sumpin' fierce, hocks a loogie into the spitoon and says, "Man, my butt itches sumpin' fierce!"

or, in first person,

I scratch my butt sumpin' fierce, hock a loogie into the spitoon and say, "Man, my butt itches sumpin' fierce!"

but not

Roguey Bob scratches my butt sumpin' fierce, hocks a loogie into the spitoon and I say, "Man, my butt itches sumpin' fierce!"

Who's scratching who, now? A classic case of mixing up your first person and third person narrative. See how confusing that is? Confusing is bad. (Having your butt scratched by a stranger ain't no picnic, either.)

5) For clarity's sake, everyone should have a different color. (First come first serve - so if you really, REALLY have to have pink, better post quick and claim it.) Also, be sure it's not too light to show up in the "stealth" background mode (the white/grey background).

6) Some players like to relate their character's thoughts. If you like, you can do this by putting thoughts in your speaking color with italics, like this: HotDAMN my butt itches sumpin' fierce...

Now, if you choose to post your character's thoughts every now and then, be careful what he/she thinks. For the most part, they should merely be embellishment for your character's mood or what he/she has said or is about to say. Your character's thoughts should not give away things that other players should know, i.e., do not think:

Dang, our Paladin is an idiot... But, he's got the highest charisma, so we're stuck.

This is a double whammy because 1) it can cause a problem in game play with regard to the 'idiot' comment, and 2) that metagaming no-no (how does your character know the Paladin has the highest charisma? And just what is "charisma", and what does he mean by "highest"?)

7) If you want your character to do something without other players knowing, set it off similar to the OOC comment and in a spoiler block addressed to me, like this:

====================

DM: [sblock]My character scratches his butt surreptitiously (+3 to Hide Butt Scratching skill)[/sblock]
We'll count on other players to be honest and not peek!

8) I know that some players put their name and certain vital stats (class, race, character level, current hp, etc.) in the subject line of each post. That's not necessary here, and indeed will be frowned upon (at least in the beginning) since no one knows anyone else.

>>>>>

Okay, that's all the ground rules for now. I promise, this is as "strict" as I get. I'm NOT a rules lawyer, as you'll soon find out. I just want to make sure this game has as little confusion as possible, so we can all enjoy it and have a good time.

As far as die rolling goes, I'll be doing it all. I also prefer to just describe the action that's taking place:

Roguey Bob's Whirlwind Attack with the spiked chain sends goblin limbs flying across the clearing, landing at the feet of their bugbear master, and they fall down in a bloody heap!

...Rather than describe the die rolling that took place:

Your d20 rolls of 14, 12, and 16, coupled with your attack bonus of +12, easily surpasses the goblin's armor class of 15. Rolling 2d4+4 for damage with said weapon, you deal 12, 8, and 10 points of damage to goblins 1, 3, and 7 respectively, effectively terminating them. You have successfully vanquished three of your adversaries. Huzzah.

In other words, I emphasize the roLE playing, not the roLL playing (cliche, yes, but true). If you really want to know what you rolled on something let me know, and I may or may not ignore your request altogether. :]

Last, but definitely not least, please don't peek in the other thread!

Intro to be posted soon!

Last edited:

Lazlow

First Post
Intro

As the sun peeked out from behind the clouds over the seaside village of Lizard Spit, spilling its warm, golden glow over all, it took one look at the town and immediately wished it had stayed in bed. So, like so many days before this one, it spent the rest of the day hiding behind drizzle-soaked storm clouds and basically sulking its way across the heavens.

In other words, it was a normal day in Lizard Spit.

The grey sky loomed overhead like it always did, the clouds drooled dirty drizzle all around like they always did, and the citizens of Lizard Spit put up with this like they always did. Such was Lizard Spit.

However, there was something different about this particular day. There were new folks in town this day, having arrived late last night, each from distant lands unknown – the two swarthy dwarves who hailed from the North, one impeccably scrubbed and dressed, the other… Well, not so impeccably scrubbed and dressed; the exotically alluring and charismatic Half-Orc woman; the cold and aloof elf; the happy-go-lucky bard; and the tall, handsome Half-Orc warrior with the foul disposition (although… There are rumors that he helped little Sammy, the baker’s son, get his kite down off a rooftop…) Yessiree, such a stir hadn’t been caused in Lizard Spit since – well, we’ll get to that shortly.

Yes, as you could tell, the citizens of Lizard Spit were a hardy bunch, withstanding the weather, strangers, and even the occasional natural disaster with a grim, determined apathy. Why, even when the town was terrorized by that dragon all those years ago, the people of Lizard Spit merely put up with it, paying tribute to the dragon and providing maidens as needed. Truth be told, the dragon was about to pack it in and find an exciting, altogether more lively town if it hadn’t been for Sir Dudley, who decided to come to the town’s aid (even though they didn’t ask for it) and slay that monstrous dragon. Legend has it that, in a remarkable and largely unprecedented display of thoughtfulness, the citizens of Lizard Spit commissioned a statue of Sir Dudley and had it erected in the town square on the day of his departure. Of course, some might call the pose that the sculptor had chosen a bit questionable, what with him appearing to be scratching his butt and all, but it didn’t really seem to bother the fine people of the town. Life went on as usual – the sky loomed, the clouds drooled. Such was Lizard Spit.

But that was decades ago, and there weren’t many left in town that were witness to those crazy, reckless days of yore when Spittians (such was what they called themselves) went about erecting statues willy-nilly. Nosiree, those impetuous, hotheaded days were gone. Why, just last month marauding bands of goblinoids from the surrounding woods began raiding the town for food and loot, but do you see the townspeople complaining? Of course not, they’re Spittians, dammit! And it is on one of these later, altogether lackluster days that these six strangers happen to find themselves in The Old Bald One-Eyed Salty Red Dog Tavern…

Ah yes, The Old Bald One-Eyed Salty Red Dog Tavern. Quite a popular place, it seems, and not only because it’s the only place in town where you could get a decent meal and a good mug of ale (aside from The Water Weasel, but who wants to go to that dive?). Here is where the burly dwarf Feargal Sunderkeg, the current owner and proprietor of the tavern, plies his trade. With his sister Muirna tending tables and his cousin Olaf in the kitchen, Sunderkeg (as he likes to be called) has managed to make this establishment the jewel of the city. Well, not really. But he sure would like to think so, and he does serve up a mean mug o’ hooch. Most of the townsfolk like to come here after a hard, long day of indifference to the world and tie one on, perhaps listening to a wandering minstrel every now and again before he leaves (or hangs himself) from utter depression, or reveling in one of Sunderkeg’s many tall tales of his past adventures. The womenfolk keep abreast of the latest gossip via Muirna, who never lets a juicy bit of hearsay get past her. And everyone just loves Olaf’s lutefisk. Mm-mm, lutefisk…

…Er, so, as I said, it so happens that these six strangers have made their way into The Old Bald One-Eyed Salty Red Dog Tavern, where some momentous things may or may not await them…

==================

OOC: ...Aaaaaaaaaaaand - action!

(Tavern map is up in OOC thread.)

Last edited:

khavren

First Post
Stepping carefully to avoid the stinking piles of unknown composition, a tall haughty looking elf, walks primly into the bar. Looking around he tries to find the least filthy looking chair before finally choosing one out of desperation. Carefully covering it with a cloth before sitting he settles himself and looks about the bar with a forced bright and cheerful expression. "Good morning! How is everyone?"

Agrajag

First Post
I stare behind my shoulder, take a quick glance at the Elf then stare at the trees nearby in deep contemplation.

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
A woman entered the tavern with a bang, slamming the doors open to be sure everyone would look at her. Tall for a woman, her frame was bulging with muscles as well as plenty of womanly curves. Tight black leather armor, accented by a purple silk shirt, strained over her chest, and a bright-eyed raven watched all those around her. Long black hair braided with beads cascaded down her back. Her skin was olive, her ears pointed, and the tiniest of tusks betrayed half-orc heritage; but only if one was looking for it. Large purple eyes glared at the inhabitants of the bar under thick lashes and half-lowered eyelids. A large greataxe, its shaft notched with kills, swung at her belt, and a bow was strapped to her back. A pouch marked with arcane symbols hung from her belt, along with a carved stick and a heavy purse. She walked to the bar, looking at everyone as she did, her hips swaying as she walked.

"Keeper! I've been walking far today, and need a good ale to wash the dust from my throat," she said in a commanding voice.

She looked at the thin, prim elf and dismissed him at once with her gaze. Too skinny to be any fun.

Lazlow

First Post
Muirna introduces herself to an elf...

khavren said:
Stepping carefully to avoid the stinking piles of unknown composition, a tall haughty looking elf, walks primly into the bar. Looking around he tries to find the least filthy looking chair before finally choosing one out of desperation. Carefully covering it with a cloth before sitting he settles himself and looks about the bar with a forced bright and cheerful expression. "Good morning! How is everyone?"

Some of the patrons closest to you take a moment to turn and look at you, and those that don't immediately turn back to their cups manage to emit a grunt indicating something between "I acknowledge your presence" and "Ow, my neck hurts from turning to look at you."

However, a bright smile from a young Dwarven lass with cascades of red curly hair barely staying out of deep emerald eyes cuts through the gloom of the regulars. She walks up to you with a confident air and as she wipes her hands on a rag she says with a wry grin, "Aw, pay no attention to these dullards; I for one am glad to see some new faces in here for a change. I'm Muirna. What can I get for ye?"

===================

OOC: Khavren, can you put your character's spoken words in color, please? It helps me pick them out from the rest of the text. Thanks.

Lazlow

First Post
Sunderkeg introduces himself

Agrajag said:
I stare behind my shoulder, take a quick glance at the Elf then stare at the trees nearby in deep contemplation.

From out of nowhere, it seems, a rugged Dwarf with a mass of rust-colored hair flecked with streaks and specks of grey bustles over to the new Dwarf in town.

"Ach weel, m'lad, 'tis good te see a fellow brather o' th' stoon, aye," he says in the most ridiculous 'Dwarven' accent you've ever heard in your life. He leans in close with a conspiratorial air and lays one finger aside his nose with a wink. "Hoo aboot a wee bitty on th' hoose, eh? Ah, aye, aye."

He turns and looks around for Muirna, sees her behind the bar, then calls out, a bit loudly, "Mooidna, me dar, a point o' th' bayst f'r oor gayst, heed." He makes a grandiose gesture towards his new Dwarven friend and smiles a broad, friendly smile.

Muirna rolls her eyes a bit and sets about getting a pint.

================

OOC: I'm assuming you're already inside and sitting at a table by a window.

Lazlow

First Post
Muirna says hello

Isida Kep'Tukari said:
A woman entered the tavern with a bang, slamming the doors open to be sure everyone would look at her. Tall for a woman, her frame was bulging with muscles as well as plenty of womanly curves. Tight black leather armor, accented by a purple silk shirt, strained over her chest, and a bright-eyed raven watched all those around her. Long black hair braided with beads cascaded down her back. Her skin was olive, her ears pointed, and the tiniest of tusks betrayed half-orc heritage; but only if one was looking for it. Large purple eyes glared at the inhabitants of the bar under thick lashes and half-lowered eyelids. A large greataxe, its shaft notched with kills, swung at her belt, and a bow was strapped to her back. A pouch marked with arcane symbols hung from her belt, along with a carved stick and a heavy purse. She walked to the bar, looking at everyone as she did, her hips swaying as she walked.

At the loud *BANG* of the doors being flung open, all but the most inebriated patrons immediately turned to see what the hubbub was. And at the sight of the darkly beautiful Amazonian female that stood there barely framed by the open doors, those inebriated patrons quickly sobered up as their eyes popped open and their jaws fell down. The few womenfolk that were in the tavern seemed to sink inward at the sight of the exotic woman - just before they kicked their men in the shins for gaping.

"Keeper! I've been walking far today, and need a good ale to wash the dust from my throat."

"Have a seat dearie and I'll be with you straightaway," Muirna says, seemingly unaffected by the commanding presence of this tall, dark Half-Orc. She makes her way over to the table where Sunderkeg is conversing with the other Dwarf, sets down the mug and snaps Sunderkeg's jaw back up in one smooth motion, then makes her way back to the bar.

Last edited:

Jarlaxale

First Post
I walk in and look around. I see two dwarves, one seems to be paraniod, and a Half-Orc, and a elf. I look for the cleanist table and chair, even then I clean that. While I sit I touch nothing not even the ground, I lift my feet from the ground. I take my own mug out and ask for some ale.

Remove ads