• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A pseudo-scientific explanation of magic

Not limited to D&D style magic; let me just say that up front.

Lately, I've become increasingly keen on settings that blend fantasy conventions with science fiction trappings, or vice versa. I've been working off and on for a couple of years now on a setting that's got a lot of steampunk-like influence, complete with some alternate technology. Mk. I of the setting was slightly more realistic, with Mk. II (which I've actually been running for a while now) being more overtly fantastic with floating islands and all that jazz. Mk. III, which is percolating in the back of my head, and starting to come out in big chunks like a bucket of chunder goes back to a much less overtly fantastic vision, and one that owes more to science fiction.

Yet, it has magic, and I couldn't really do the setting without magic. I'm not using D&D magic -- something more like Midnight or Call of Cthulhu would be my preferred mechanics. The thing is, I have little use for the "it's magic" handwave, and I'd ideally like to have some kind of explanation for my magic, where it comes from, and all that.

I've had an idea, thanks to my hobbyist research into advanced string theory and M-theory, but I'd like to toss it out for comments; I'm sure it can be improved upon. Here's the 50¢ background; if you want more, wikipedia is more detailed looking up M-theory or brane cosmology, and Parallel Universes by Michio Kaku is a book just published less than six months ago that is pretty up-to-date, well-written, and informative. This link is also pretty comprehensive and informative.

Essentially the 4-dimensional universe we know and observe has some cosmological problems that lead to the formulation of the theory. And I'm only hitting on the relevent points here; but for many years now, we've suspected from astronomical observations that the visible matter compared to the dark matter -- unknown matter of some kind that surrounds galactic halos and other areas, is a small proportion. What is even more interesting and strange is that despite earlier beliefs that dark matter balanced the expansion of the universe, leading to a "flat" cosmos, what more recent observations seem to be suggesting is that actually the acceleration of the expansion of the universe is increasing at a runaway pace. The explanation for this is some kind of dark energy that makes up 70% of the universe (remember that mass and energy are interchangeable via the famous e=mc2.) Nobody really knows what this dark energy is, or where it comes from, or why it seems to be counteracting gravity. It seems to be the energy of emptiness, and why it is such an important factor in the eventual fate of the universe is completely baffling to cosmologists.

Now, let's turn our attention briefly to the Grand Unifying Theory -- the holy grail of physicists when I was a teenager. Some theory that united the strong and weak nuclear forces with electromagnetism and gravity. Brane cosmology has partially helped to do this; essentially it states that the 4-dimensional universe that we know is actually one part of a higher multidimensional whole that is sometimes called the bulk. Our universe is a brane (a contraction of membrane) in this bulk, and other branes may well have other 4-dimensional "universes" on them, some even with different physical properties. While string theory helped to unite the nuclear forces and electromagnetism, gravity was still a stranger, in particular why it was so relatively weak. M-theory and brane cosmology explain this by saying that some of the force of gravity is "leaked" into the bulk, or perhaps to another brane in the bulk. Interactions such as this between branes, or with the bulk itself can have impacts on our own universe, including (possibly) where dark energy comes from, where the runaway acceleration comes from, and whether or not that runaway acceleration will continue, or change or what have you.

Using extremely complex mathematical formulae (and maybe some kind of focus or device of some type?) it seems reasonably pseudo-scientific that effects that are similar to "magic" could be had by those who were aware of this cross-brane energy source and how to manipulate it. And voila! I've concocted a pseudo-scientific explanation for how magic (at least of some kind) could exist in a setting that is otherwise leaning much more towards sci-fi than traditional fantasy.

Any comments or helpful suggestions?

The_Universe

First Post
On a similar note, it seems like you could explain a great deal of "magic" in a D&D like world through the unconscious manipulation of Zero Point Energy. I don't have a good link that explains it (it's a fairly complicated theory), but the basic idea is that in order for a number of theories of how the universe works to properly function, there must be energy available in the "open spaces" of the universe. Not just the space between atoms, but also the spaces between protons and neutrons, nuclei and electron clouds, etc.

If some property of the mind (or of mathematics, or of technology) can find a way to tap into even the relatively low grade of energy that the formulae posit exists, there's just *so much* open space that the possibilities are endless.

Anyway, google 'Zero Point Energy' and see if you can find something cool.

Yes, exactly! The theoretical groundwork used to get to zero point energy and dark energy are completely different, although the end result is oddly very similar. Some cosmologists believe the two to be one and the same.

The_Universe

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Yes, exactly! The theoretical groundwork used to get to zero point energy and dark energy are completely different, although the end result is oddly very similar. Some cosmologists believe the two to be one and the same.
Yeah - I've definitely seen some people conflate the two, and others insist that they're not the same thing at all. And then, I've seen still others insist that the two cannot coexist in the same universe.

Then again, I've also read that the HAARP in Alaska is a big secret zero point energy machine controlled by alien reptoid freemason nazis from deep within the hollow earth. One of the interesting things about Zero Point Energy in real life is that is seems to have been siezed by the "conspiracy" and "UFO" communities as an explanation for a bunch of different events and ideas, and is as much a part of the fringe "research" community as Grey aliens.

The_Universe

First Post
Another idea -

You might want to consider tying "Superstring" theory and "cosmic resonance" ideas in with real world occult ideas of Feng Shue and Ley Lines. Imagine that the verbal components of spells are trying to find effective harmonies with the frequency at which superstrings vibrate, the somatic components are essentially pulling at the "web" of superstrings that cris-cross reality. It doesn't leave a lot of room for material components of "spellcasting," but the ability to percieve and manipulate the "strings" posited by "String Theory" would essentially grant the person the ability to manipulate the very fabric of reality...and it even works well with the D&D idea of the planes. Sounds like magic to me...

If you concentrated more on cosmic resonance (which I believe is also tied to string theory) you'd lend magic a very musical tone (no pun intended)....

Turanil

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
This link is also pretty comprehensive and informative.

Any comments or helpful suggestions?
Thanks for the link! I will thoroughly read that. My suggestion is to describe a sort of pseudo-technological device that allows the casting of spells. Lets say some sort of manufactured crystals that project holographic pattern of energy, while a focus taps the energy from the brane (if I understand well :heh: ). But then, explain why magic requires a trained individual (with spell points, spell slots, or whatever) instead of just techno devices. :confused:

Mallus

Legend
Damn, The Universe beat me to Zero-Point Energy. I suppose that's to be expected...

Anyway, that's neat background rationale for a magic system, JD, but I've always been interested in what comes next. Now that you have an underlying theory, the trick is to derive a set of ramifications from said theory that directly relate to the game mechanics/common spell effects. Preferably a small, easy-to-manage set.

For instance, healing seems pretty tough to pull off under this rationale, Maybe healing spells temporarily reverse time's arrow and actually undoes the wound (they would need to cast immediately after the damage was done). Sometimes they go wrong and the target begins to age backwards, a la Rachel from Simmon's Hyperion.

Fly, Reverse Gravity, Slow, etc. can all work off temporarily overlying the local gravitational rules with those from another brane. Again, this goes awry sometimes, creating fantastical crap like null-gravity zones, or floating mountains.

Outsiders are just entities from another brane. These Outsiders don't need to be limited to traditional depictions of alien horrors, either. Less tenticular, more conceptual. Sentient, polyhedral clouds that can reduce the speed of light to 45 MPH. Or demonic number systems that threaten a kingdom's currency. Perhaps exposing terrestrial creatures to energies from outside their home brane can slowly turn them into Outsiders.

I need to drink much more coffee, get some work done, and come back to this. I'm interested in any kind of structuring tool designed to add more flavor an RPG's magic system.

Last edited:

Remove ads