Heroes, Inc., Day 2: Goldenight

DM_Matt

First Post
A new day, a new thread.

The next night of the festival is Goldenight, the most decadent of the various subholidays within Waukeentide. As described in the City of Splendors 2e Boxed Set:

Goldenight: a simple festival night celebrating money and gold
(many hard currency girls and not a few young noblewomen
cover themselves in gold dust and little else on Goldenight),
with many businesses operating all night, offering midnight
sales and other promotions;

Late the next morning, Aleena awakens, still a bit groggy but apparently lucid. Arundel calls everyone to the infirmary. She doesn't try to get up, but she looks around and asks, weakly, "Where am I? How did I get here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawkeye

First Post
Shando stands silently at the rear of the group, head bowed in shame, waiting for one of the more diplomatic members of the group to explain the events of the night.

Hawkeye

frostrune

First Post
With a quick look around at the assembled group and grim nod toward Fin, Timrin silently volunteers to be the bearer of bad news.

He steps forward and takes a knee by Aleena's bedside, "My Lady, I am Sir Timrin Goldmantle, paladin of Helm and member of the Hidden Shield. Some of our group were part of your bodyguard contingent last night <gesturing toward Kaarlo and Murdoch>. You are safe within our headquarters at the moment."

"My Lady - please tell us what you remember of last night. There is much you should know but we shall fill in where your memory fades."

Falkus

Explorer
Given that questioning a disoriented woman didn't involve reckless mayhem or high risk acrobatics, Dyria didn't feel she was qualified to assist, so waited on the sidelines.

DM_Matt

First Post
frostrune said:
With a quick look around at the assembled group and grim nod toward Fin, Timrin silently volunteers to be the bearer of bad news.

He steps forward and takes a knee by Aleena's bedside, "My Lady, I am Sir Timrin Goldmantle, paladin of Helm and member of the Hidden Shield. Some of our group were part of your bodyguard contingent last night <gesturing toward Kaarlo and Murdoch>. You are safe within our headquarters at the moment."

"My Lady - please tell us what you remember of last night. There is much you should know but we shall fill in where your memory fades."

"There isn't much to tell. My carriage was taking me to a celebration when it suddenly flipped over. I remember hitting my head on the wall, but after that everything is pretty blurry."

frostrune

First Post
"My Lady, you were abducted by an evil fey. He fought through our guards and teleported away with you. You remember nothing of this?"

Seeing the blank look, Timrin continues...

"At nearly the same time, a few blocks further down the Cliff Ride, your Father was also ambushed and nearly killed.

"These attacks were both orchestrated by a powerful vampire named Kurin Manyblades. He may also be responsible for the deaths at House Drakkenmere. We thought you were to be sacrificed in order to bind or summon a powerful demon. Your Father accompanied us as we rushed to save you."

"Another ambush awaited us... or more specifically, your Father. Forgive us Lady Aleena... your Father is dead."

As the impact of the words sink in, Timrin reaches out to gently clasp her hand between his and averts his eyes to the floor.

Last edited:

kirinke

First Post
Alethia looks at the noble woman her eyes glowing faintly silver in the dim light. "He fought well my lady and the gods may yet have work for him on this plane. It is possible to have him raised, if you think he would have it so," she said, her voice and expression conveying both the sadness of his death and cold anger directed at the ones responsible for his murder.

The mere thought of an innocent being sacrificed to any kind of evil enrages her. And it is clear, at least to her, that either the paladin's daughter or the paladin himself was meant to be the sacrifice. At that, her face pales.

What if the paladin was the true sacrifice? That could be the significance of that vampire taking his bone. And there are few things more innocent than a paladin.

DM_Matt

First Post
Aleena squeezes Timrin's hand amd tears up. "No, I don't remember any of it. My father must be raised -- and avenged -- immediately. I have to go to him!" She starts to sit up but immediately lies back down, realizing that that is a bad idea at the moment. "Oops. On second thought, maybe later," she says, smiling for a moment.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
DM_Matt said:
Aleena squeezes Timrin's hand amd tears up. "No, I don't remember any of it. My father must be raised -- and avenged -- immediately. I have to go to him!" She starts to sit up but immediately lies back down, realizing that that is a bad idea at the moment. "Oops. On second thought, maybe later," she says, smiling for a moment.

"Once he's raised, he'll have plenty of time to do any avenging that needs doing himself," Fin points out. "Is there anyone in particular who should be contacted to perform the necessary rites?"

Remove ads