DCC #35 Contents and First Impressions

Lucias

First Post
The Gazetteer:

This is broken up into seven chapters. The first three cover the areas of the world: The Northlands, Southlands, and Lost Lands. Chapter 4 describes the geographic features of Aerest in detail and Chapter 5 has the details on the multitude of organizations featured in the setting. Chapter 6 is a short section on lands beyond the known realms, including the Underdark. The final chapter is the histroy of the Northlands.

I'm about a third of the way through the Gazetteer, almost finished with reading about the Northlands. Each region is given a short overview followed by a section on the major settlements. The details are well written and entertaining to read. Not dry in the slightest like some setting books (I'm looking at you Kalamar.)

The setting is dripping with adventure. I could run several campaigns just based on the info of the Northlands alone, so exploring the rest of the setting should reveal a further wealth of info.

There is absolutely no crunch in this book. It is systemless (which is great!)

The GM's Guide, which I've yet to dig into, breaks down as follows:

Chapter 1: Creation and Early History
Chapter 2: Deities, Demigods, and Infernal Powers
Chapter 3: Bestiary of the Known Realms - quite a few monsters. Most have the rules for running them as PCs also.
Chapter 4: Setting Rules (new feats, equipment, weapon qualities, spells, etc.)
Chatper 5: Rogues Gallery and Hall of Heroes - descriptions and basic statline for major NPCs so you can kill anyone you want. Stats are very basic, essentially they're class/level and relevant ability scores. Tailor them to your needs, I guess.
Chapter 6: Zero Level Characters - Pretty extensive bit of rules and ideas for starting characters as NPC classes. I'm not sold on the idea, but there are those who might be, especially since one of the included adventures starts at zero level.)
Chapter 7: Paths of Adventure - Pre-built adventure paths using the current DCC modules with a running plot on how to string them together. Very cool!
Appendix 1: DCC Index - lists which DCC every NPC, moster, and location is mentioend in. Again, very cool.

Haven't done more than browse the adventures yet.

The maps are gorgeous.

This is the best 'classic' D&D setting to come out since Mystara in my opinion. There are no crazy twists like in Eberron or Dark Sun, it's just swords and sorcery done very, very well.

I'll most likely be running this with either Savage Worlds or the Rules Cyclopedia someday since I've vowed never to run 3.5 again. Even as a resource for another system I still feel like I got a good value for my money.

I'm sure there are flaws, but I've yet to notice them.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Wait, if there's no crunch, what about the monsters, feats, items and so on?

More details, please!

It's ironic, but it seems as recently as two years ago, Mystara got no respect around ENWorld, but people seem very receptive to DCC World, which is all to the good, IMO.

Lucias

First Post
There's no crunch in the Gazetteer at all.

The GM's guide is where the crunch is at.

Sorry, should have been more clear.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions.

Lucias

First Post
I'm fairly certain it's not limited.

It's silly enough to do that with a popular adventure. It'd be even sillier with a campaign setting, methinks.

According to a post by Joseph Goodman on his own forums they're planning on doing a PDF of the boxed set too.

Xyanthon

First Post
You know, there for a while I was doing good. I had my game purchases under control and I bought what, maybe one supplement every 1-3 months. I tell you what, since the release of all this nostalgic gaming material from the likes of Troll Lords, Goodman, Necromancer, Expedious Retreat, and others, I feel like my purchases are spiraling out of control. Hhhhhmmmmm, I have a sneaking feeling that my wife is going to have an intervention soon. Having said that, this will be mine along with the 1e module that they are putting out, hehehehehahahhahahaha......um, yes, heh.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Thanks for the overview!

I'm looking forward to getting this. I'm debating whether to use this setting or the Wilderlands for my next campaign.

Decisions, decisions ...

Remove ads