• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OOC) D&D 3.5 - Paridon: The Dark Metropolis (Ravenloft)

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Paridon is a den of iniquity. Predators prowl the streets, unclean things live in the sewers, and sin is the only being that walks freely. From the ill repute on the street corners, to the thugs in the shadows, to the "artistes" in rich salons presenting obscenity to a barbarous bourgeoisie, the city is choking with an immoral filth.

Paridon is also home.

The city is huge, and those that live there know nothing else. They may have heard of the cultureless countryside, with its wide expanses, wild creatures, and uneducated, unsophisticated locals. No, the denizens know city life, and the city is where they choose to stay. They stay because they value society, know the value of culture, understand that strength is to be had in each other.

It is also because of people like you.

You are members of Paridon's constabulary. They are a hardy group with a tough job. There are those who watch over the people, always wary for an attacker. There are those who fall into the pit of evil, risking their souls trying to stem the tide of sin from the inside. And then there are you. Sometimes, a crime occurs that is so mysterious, so bizarre, so unexplainable, that it is turned over to you. Your job is to delve deep into the heart of the mystery, find out whatever the civilized would not, and should not understand, and bring justice.

Paridon: The Dark Metropolis is a Ravenloft adventure involving the Investigator arm of the city guard. Paridon is a Renaissance/near-Victorian style city. The Gothic style permeates the architecture, as if the Age of Reason completely passed it by. Most people have never ventured outside the city walls, and would not know the first thing about anything other than urban life. There are enclaves and neighborhoods of a number of different races and people. The style of the campaign is gothic horror, murder mystery, and crime procedural--Think CSI: Las Vegas meets Silent Hill via Name of the Rose. We'll start with the first adventure, and if it goes well, we might continue for future adventures.

D&D 3.5 Core Rules
4th level characters
28 Point Buy
5,000 GP Starting Wealth

Religion: The dominant religion is the Ezraite religion, steeped in tradition and with various sects within it. Think of a structure similar to the Roman Catholic Church of the middle ages. There are also other cults, traditions, and heresies to be found within the city. Make a good story for it.

Backgrounds will be vital. Don't worry about knowing anything about the Ravenloft campaign world--just know that you've spent most (if not all) of your life in Paridon, and build from there.

Enjoy! Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
Finally. I've been waiting for a Ravenloft adventure for some time now. Seems that I have a free spot open on my gaming table now as well, so it appears that I have some creating to do.

A question or two, however:

Being predominantly urban setting, are classes like ranger, druid, and even barbarian plausible, or even possible here?

It is a Renaissance setting, does that mean that firearms are available?

The idea coming to me now is a young rogue/sorcerer who's immoral path obstructed by a member of the constabulary before it was too late. He was taken in and shown the right way. He may still have a few connections hiding in the shadows.

Crunch: He'll have a high Charisma with a focus on social skills.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Barbarians, rangers, and druids are definitely plausible here. The land is the city. Some things may be a little different as a result, but for the most part, there is very little that needs to change to make the classes usable. Barbarians might just be madmen in the street. Rangers are valuable in an urban environment, as trackers and clue searchers. Druids understand the pulse of the street, and can hear the city's whispers.

As for firearms, I would be more than happy to let them in, but I don't have any instructions for them. I'm afraid I'll have to say no, just because of that.

Boddynock

First Post
IVV,

I've got to dash now, but I'd be keen to play in your game. I've dipped into Ravenloft on occasion but never had a chance to play.

I'm wondering about a mage - investigating the hard cases, determined to bring perpetrators to justice. Is it crazy to think of playing a lawful good character in these circumstances? Maybe neutral good would be better - pragmatic, but almost obsessed with justice. What do you think?

Boddynock

wmasters

First Post
Hi InVinoVeritas,

I'd be very interested as well, a dip into Ravenloft sounds fantastic, although my knowledge is a little limited on the setting. Not sure about what sort of character at the moment, I'll have a think about it.

One thought, on the ranger front, it might be worth looking at the Urban Ranger variant which sounds like it might be appropriate.

IamTheTest

First Post
I think Id like to whip up a rogue. Probably heavy on social skills and thugery. Would it be alright to play a variant rogue from the srd? Basically I lose sneak attack but gain bonus feats as a fighter. I think the feats will allow for more martial ability, something I imagine would be fitting of a constable.

[sblock=Johnny Blades Background]Johnny didnt know where he came from. Orphans in Paridon arent exactly rare. He hated thieving, but he hated going hungry more. Johnny looked for work when he could, but work always seemed to require a morally lax point of view. He did what he needed to though and was soon noticed by a local leader. Paully knuckles wasnt just a thug, he had character. He taught Johnny how to talk people out of gold and, more importantly, information. He was something of a philanthropist, always giving back to the neighborhood. Johnny knew his money came from less than legal activities, but everybody stole. Paully always explained that one must have some kind of honor. He showed his young pupil that leaning on someone will only make them lean on you. "Force is a spice best used sparingly", he taught...this phrase echoes still with Johnny. One day Johnny walked in on two men beating Paully. He knew the men, they were once loyal underlings. Just as Johnny heard his own screams Paully fell, throat slit. Instinct took over and Johnny ran for his life. After the shock passed Johnny knew what he had to do. Vengence would be swift that night as found and visited the hideout of his mentor's murderers. Johnny had used the same techniques his teacher had shown him to find his to be victems. When he walked in on them all of the feeling of his friends death spilled into him at once causing Johnny to fly into an emotional frenzy. Moments later he stood over two corpses. It was at that moment that Johnny the Urchin became Johnny Blades.

That was 5 years ago. Today Johnny has taken a position with the constibulary. He has not forgotten the teachings of his friend and even in his work today he lives by that code.

The Code of Paully Knuckles
1. The tongue is quicker and sharper than any dagger, and it can cut twice as deep.
2. Take care of your neighbors, and they will take care of you.
3. Everybody steals from somebody somehow.
4. Never get too comfortable.[/sblock]

Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
I'm interested. I'm a "fan" of RL but have never played in it or purchased a RL product.

It looks like rogues and arcane casters are covered.

I'm going to make a cleric, probably of Ezra though I might go another way. Do you know what sects and such you will have? His alignment will be Lawful Neutral, and he'll be more committed to advancing the interests of his faction than in helping people ... I may change this when I develop it more.

As for appropriate era guns, I think rules could be found on the net. I think I remember some RL netbook had rules.

Azaar

Explorer
Interesting concept. I've never played a Ravenloft game before, either, and the setting has always intrigued me. Might have to sketch something up.

industrygothica: If you have Unearthed Arcana, take a look at the Urban Ranger variant. That might be right up your alley if you want to look at playing a ranger.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Urban Rangers are okay by me. I'll also allow the fighting Rogue (Would "Thug" be a reasonable name for the variant?).

I'll see what I can find for firearms rules, if that interests you.

I don't have any particular factions or sects in mind, as I'm cobbling some info together that I've gathered, so feel free to make one up with a proper feel, and I'll add it to the game.

Both LG and NG are appropriate alignments for the Paridon guard.

Johnny Blades' background will work just fine with the adventure.

Oh, and a word of warning to those who aren't fully familiar with Ravenloft: Evil acts are both greatly rewarded and punished in Ravenloft. Necromancy is considered evil. What you choose to do has great repercussions.

IamTheTest

First Post
Id be okay with you calling it a Thug in this setting. It is important to note however that Thug is already a variant PC class in the SRD. Maybe something like Infiltrator?

Remove ads