• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OOC) D&D 3.5 - Paridon: The Dark Metropolis (Ravenloft)

wmasters

First Post
Well here's the concept, with no stats whatsoever.

Perrin

Fighting the good fight, defend the people, patrol the city and make sure all is well. Perrin was a hero of the people making sure that they could sleep soundly at night and know there children were at least reasonably safe out in the day. It was what he'd always wanted, respect and due reward, rising in favour with senior figures in both the church and the city.

That was how Perrin liked to think people saw him anyway. The truth, of course was quite different. Every day he was terrified. Swords, terrified him, he didn't want people swinging weapons at him! Hell, even the shadows scared him in some parts of town. And that was a normal day on the streets. He put a brave face on it, sure, but when he collapsed on his bed at night, Perrin thanked the gods that he was still alive. He'd give it all up and retire, lead the quiet life running an inn or something instead if he could, but people looked up to him in this role. He couldn't let them down.
---------------------------------------

So that's the premise of the character, the problem is I don't know what class he is. I'm pretty sure he's Lawful Neutral though. If it sounds good, I'll flesh it out and work out the crunch side of things, like a class.

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
InVino - I also have an idea, but it's kinda of an odd variant of a variant. Do you have Dragon #339? In there there is a druid variant called the Sidhe Scholar, a more educated druid that draws her power from the trickster fey rather than the pure power of nature. I thought she would be something of mystical support to the Investigators, using her magic and the senses of her animal companion to help solve crimes.

I have further mechanics questions, but if you don't want to use a Dragon variant class at all they're kinda moot. :)

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Isida:

I don't have any Dragon magazine, so I won't allow the variant, but I would be willing to help you design something similar if you're still interested in the idea.

industrygothica

Adventurer
[sblock="Darian Rose"]

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Darian Rose
[B]Class:[/B] Rogue 3/Bard 1
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] Neutral
[B]Deity:[/B] None

[B]Str:[/B] 12 +1 (4p.)     [B]Level:[/B] 4        [B]XP:[/B] 6,000
[B]Dex:[/B] 16 +3 (8p.)     [B]BAB:[/B] +2         [B]HP:[/B] 20 (3d6+1d6)
[B]Con:[/B] 11 +0 (3p.)     [B]Grapple:[/B] +3     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] None
[B]Int:[/B] 12 +1 (4p.)     [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      [B]Spell Res:[/B] XX
[B]Wis:[/B] 11 +0 (3p.)     [B]Init:[/B] +3        [B]Spell Save:[/B] +2
[B]Cha:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)     [B]ACP:[/B] -1         [B]Spell Fail:[/B] 10%

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +5    +0    +3    +0    +0    +0    18
[B]Touch:[/B] 13              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 15

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      1    +0    +1     +1
[B]Ref:[/B]                       5    +3    +1     +8
[B]Will:[/B]                      3    +0    +1     +3

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Dagger                    +4     1d4+2      19-20/x2
Hand Crossbow             +5     1d4+1      19-20/x2
Whip                      +3     1d3+1      x2

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Goblin

[B]Abilities:[/B] Sneak attack 2d6, trapfinding, evasion, trap sense +1,
bardic music, bardic knowledge, countersong, fascinate, inspire courage +1

[B]Spells known:[/B] [Cantrips] [I]Dancing Lights, Daze, Lullaby, Open/Close[/I]

[B]Spells prepared:[/B] [I]Daze, Open/Close[/I]

[B]Feats:[/B] Alertness, Persuasive, Quickdraw

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 68       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 7/3.5
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Bluff                      7    +2          +11(+2 Persuasive)
Diplomacy                  4    +2          +10(+2 Bluff, +2 Sense Motive)
Gather Information         7    +2          +9
Hide                       7    +3          +10
Intimidate                 7    +2          +11(+2 Bluff, +2 Persuasive)
Listen                     7    +0          +5(+2 Alertness)
Move Silently              7    +3          +10
Perform (Sing)             7    +2          +9
Sense Motive               7    +0          +7
Sleight of Hand            5    +3          +8 (+2 Bluff)
Spot                       7    +0          +5(+2 Alertness)

[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]
+1 Dagger                2302gp    1lb
Hand Crossbow             100gp    2lb
Bolts (50)                  5gp    5lb
Whip                        1gp    2lb
+1 Chain shirt           1250gp   25lb
Cloak of Resistance +1   1000gp    1lb
Tanglefoot bag (2)        100gp    8lb
Manacles w/ Good lock      95gp    3lb
Silk Rope                  10gp    5lb
Signet ring (Rose emblem)   5gp   --lb
Whetstone                   2cp    1lb

[B]Total Weight:[/B]53lb      [B]Money:[/B] 131gp 9sp 8cp

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]                43   44-86   87-130   260   650

[B]Age:[/B] 34
[B]Height:[/B] 6'04"
[B]Weight:[/B] 180lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Brown
[B]Hair:[/B] Black
[B]Skin:[/B] Olive
[/sblock]
Appearance: Darian Rose is tall and slender, and looks several years older than he actually is. He is always formally dressed, complete with a cloak and a top hat. He has a full moustache and goatee that comes to a point several inches below his chin. He has a deep voice and always speaks slowly, with careful attention to articulation, earning him a very powerful presense. Most people would assume him the leader of whatever group he may be with, whether or not that may actually be the case. Under his clothes, Darian's upper body is covered in small circular scars.

Background: Darian was raised like any other normal child. With his mother's gentle understanding and his father's hard hand, he grew to be a man with strong moral and social values, and a deep respect for the law. That respect lead him to his position with the constabulary where he quickly gained a reputation of obtaining information from otherwise unobtainable sources. He has no personal scores to settle with anyone, although there are many who may have a score to settle with Darian.

Over the years Darian has developed some sadistic tendancies when interrogating would-be criminals. Interrogated individuals often find themselves the bearer of a rose shaped impression caused by Darian's signet ring. Other's may find themselves on the business end of Darian's whip, which he primarily saves for those who try to run from him.

He finds himself at a moral crossroads, as the pleasure he derives from the torture he inflicts upon others strictly contradicts his upbringing and personal beliefs. He spends his time alone atoning for his actions by burning himself on his bare chest with the cheap cigars he is wont to smoke. He believes the pain will purge the wrongdoings from his body and soul.

Last edited:

Mr_Spicoli

Explorer
Hi, interested in playing either a Warlock or Warmage, still deciding on which would be more useful to this party. Any suggestions?

Rhun

First Post
Any room for a Paladin (possible with a level or two in Fighter, of course) in the party? I'd be keen to play one in this type of setting, and it seems like a good fit as a member of the Constabulary.

If that is alright, I'll get to work on a concept.

Voadam

Legend
What sources are acceptable for classes? PH only? PH II, UA variants, XPH? An occult master investigator for the constabulary is a neat idea.

jkason

First Post
I'm still working out crunch, but here's some background on the reformed heavy (Barbarian / Monk) I'd like to play. The flavor may be a little less gothic than you're thinking, but I'm perfectly willing to adapt as need be:

[sblock=Ru Brike]Ru Brike just wants to make his life better. His family squatted in a condemned tenement, picked through garbage for dinner, scampered away from the corrupt city guard they couldn't afford to pay "taxes" to. So when Ari Turbul saw the potential bruiser Ru could be and offered him a place in his gang, Ru jumped at the chance.

Protection money paid for a legal--if small--apartment for Ru's family. Daily trawls of the marketplace fed them all well. Ru especially thrived once he had some real nutrition, his broad shoulders filling out, muscle and mass and a growth spurt making him look a man when he was still just a boy. This was defintely better.

Ru took Ari's orders. His hearty laugh charmed those he was meant to protect, his powerful muscles hurt those who threatened him or his new allies. Ari greased the right palms, and everyone got what they wanted. Ari's gang became entrenched and established, and Ru was one of his favorite bruisers, usually reserved for when people really needed to ... learn a lesson. The last thing a person wanted to hear was that Ru was on his way.

That is, until Teram Gis showed up.

Everyone thought Gis was just another cowering merchant. A few well placed threats, maybe a broken table or two, and he'd fall in line and pay up like everyone else. However, The only thing that seemed to be breaking was Ari's messengers, sent back with one limb or another shattered and no protection payments.

Ari didn't take it well at all. He'd have no wiry little fishmonger making him look a fool. He sent Ru to tear the place apart and offer his special brand of incentive. Ru never relished doling out punishment, but he was good at it, and Ari was good to his family, so he went.

Gis was half Ru's size, scrawny and unimpressive to look at. He also blocked every blow Ru threw at him. Again and again, turning Ru's building rage aside without breaking a sweat. As he fought, Ru saw something in the man's eyes. Power, certainly, but something else. A clarity, a focus that channeled that power, that told Ru he would never best this man despite his own raw strength.

Ru couldn't explain why he stopped. He knew what kind of consequences there would be. Still, he had to. He halted his blows, took a step back, and bowed to his better.

Gis returned the bow, saying, "You are the first with the wisdom to yield. It is a gift your cohorts lack. One you will never hone in their company."

Ru cocked his head and smiled. "But you could teach me."

Gis returned the smile. "Wise again."

Gis, it turned out, was a member of Paridon's Investigators, sent undercover to break Ari's hold on his section of town. The two struck a bargain. Ru would help give Gis the information he needed to unravel Ari's tight-knit "family." Gis, in turn, secured amnesty for Ru. He's been teaching Ru the discipline he lacked, focusing his power and speed. And recently, Ru proved himself well enough that he's gained a position in the Investigator unit, himself. He uses his keen senses to help solve crime. And keep an eye out for any retribution the remnants of Ari's cadre may have planned.[/sblock]

Remove ads