[C&C] Holy Smokes ... I'm REALLY Impressed!

Mycanid

First Post
Wow.... Just .... Wow.

These guys writing up the Castles and Crusades books did an AMAZING job. I haven't reead such simple and inspiring material in almost 30 years. I like what they have done here. This is quite something.

On a slightly different note or two:

C&C Gaming. I must admit that I never even heard of the thing until being turned on to enWorld by a friend of mine. The local Hobby shops don't have 'em. Some haven't even HEARD of it. Is most of the gaming online via PbP or Pbem? :confused:

Also - on one of the sites pointed out to me here: http://www.cncplayer.net/ there is a link to a home brew setting at dragonsfoot that someone threw together for the C&C system named Ilshara: Land of Exile. Anyone have it or used it? What do they think of it?

Finally - what is the default "world" setting for C&C, if there is one? Are the Yggsburgh modules in it specifically?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mycanid said:
Wow.... Just .... Wow...These guys writing up the Castles and Crusades books did an AMAZING job...This is quite something.
I think C&C rocks, too. :D

C&C Gaming. I must admit that I never even heard of the thing until being turned on to enWorld by a friend of mine. The local Hobby shops don't have 'em. Some haven't even HEARD of it. Is most of the gaming online via PbP or Pbem?
No, I don't think so. I think its mostly individual DMs that discover it and introduce it to their group(s). The FLGS, here, doesn't carry it, either. Nor does the FLGS I go to in San Antonio (although one player special ordered the books from there). Personally, I order my C&C books directly from Troll Lords (I love their $10 sales) or from Amazon.

I think there's also some PbP C&C gaming going on at the Troll Lord forums, or maybe at Dragonsfoot, but I'm not into that, so I'm not the best one to comment (I much prefer sitting around a table and playing).

Ilshara: Land of Exile. Anyone have it or used it? What do they think of it?
I've downloaded it, but haven't read or used it. I'm using The Wilderlands (which I only recently "discovered," and which I absolutely love as a setting) and Greyhawk. Incidentally, Adventure Games Publishing is working on Wilderlands/Judges Guild material for C&C. There's nothing released, yet, but I think the first product will be a free release for "Free RPG Day."

Finally - what is the default "world" setting for C&C, if there is one?
Aihrde (which used to be Erde). You can get the d20 Erde books pretty cheap, but they're being re-done as Aihrde to be C&C-specific. I haven't used Erde or Aihrde.

Are the Yggsburgh modules in it specifically?
No. Yggsburgh is its own thing, and can be dropped into most campaign settings (it's fits Greyhawk rather well, unsurprisingly).

Treebore

First Post
Part of joining the Crusade is spreading the word of some good old style gaming. Many haven't heard of it, so its up to us to spread the word to those who are looking for something different.

Welcome aboard!

DungeonMaester

First Post
I am currently thumbing through AD&D 1st Ed which I affectionately call oD&D squared. So whats up with C&C?

No opinions, please..just the facts.

Thanks,

---Rusty

Talath

Explorer
I am also proud to say I have recently started up a Castles & Crusades game utilizing the Yggsburgh setting. Our next session is next wednesday (our third session) and they will begin exploring the Manse of the Mad Archmage, also known as the Dark Chateau (by Rob Kuntz, very awesome module).

I used C&C because I have one veteran 3.5 player and 4 newbies (complete and total, never played RPGs before). When I told my vet I wanted to use C&C because I worried that 3.5 was just too complex for young adults whom had never played RPGs before, he was okay with it, and he is being fairly cooperative.

I use PBWiki to catalog my house rules for the campaign. The address is http://yggsburgh.pbwiki.com

EDIT: English no worky so good.

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
DungeonMaester said:
I am currently thumbing through AD&D 1st Ed which I affectionately call oD&D squared. So whats up with C&C?

No opinions, please..just the facts.

Thanks,

---Rusty

If you want just facts buy the PH. ITs kind of like 1E but with the SIEGE mechanic that simplifies and unifies the game, irregardless of which edition, or editions, of D&D you want to use or combine.

ITs seems overly simplistic, but when you actually use it the simplicity soon shows how surprisingly strong and flexible the SIEGE mechanic is. I mix primarily 3E and 2E, but when I want a focused class to use I pull out the old 1E classes written up in Dragon. Spells and magic items are easily used from every edition as well.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Mycanid said:
The local Hobby shops don't have 'em. Some haven't even HEARD of it.

That's really just amazingly sad. It still surprises me to this day how poorly run and criminally inadequate some hobby shops are.

You might want to look at Savage Worlds for a well-done and simple set of rules (unless you're a spell caster of some kind, almost every rule you'll ever need is spelled on on two pages); main book covers all main genres, has vehicle rules, mass battle system, spells, etc etc.

Nyaricus said:
Can you buy C&C in print, or is it online only?
You can buy it in print. You only need two core books: the Players Handbook and Monsters & Treasures (both are hardcovers). Amazon lists them for $13.57 each, so it's a very reasonably priced game.

Last edited:

Remove ads