[C&C] Holy Smokes ... I'm REALLY Impressed!

DungeonMaester said:
So whats up with C&C?

C&C is an OGL system that aims for an old-school feel and high degree of compatibility with older versions of D&D. It's strongly class-based. It uses "high AC is good" like 3E. It handles skill and feat-like actions with the "SIEGE engine," which is an ability-check based mechanic that is very coarse-grained. That is, it takes a broad approach to covering such activities; rather than a character buying a bunch of skills or abilities, you define a broad, ability-based range of stuff you're good at. Like "my Fighter is good at Str, Wis, and Cha stuff." That's on top of the natural ability you get from stat bonuses.

C&C is very compatible with older versions of D&D. You can use AD&D adventures, monsters, etc with trivial conversion (basically converting the AC by subtracting it from 20 to find the C&C AC). You can do such conversion on the fly. Since it's also related to d20, you can convert 3E stuff, too, but it isn't quite as straightforward.

Many C&C DMs claim that adding house-rules and subsystems to C&C is very easy. C&C is kind of like a "modern OD&D" in that sense: DMs tend to tweak it a lot to suit their taste, and C&C games can vary widely in their rules from DM to DM.

Check out the Troll Lord site for more info (including LOTS of opinions).

S'mon

Legend
I love C&C; currently I'm running a C&C Wilderlands PBEM and am about to start a high level C&C tabletop game set in my homebrew world, 4 hours from now. I'm a bit nervous, running a converted 3e adventure (Siege of Durgam's Folly) - hope I get the monster stats right - I think the secret to C&C GMing success is 'sit back & relax, unwind & chill'. :)

S'mon

Legend
I think BTW the default C&C world is Airhde, the world of its 'A' series of modules. The Yggsburgh stuff is not specifically set there.

Treebore

First Post
S'mon said:
I think BTW the default C&C world is Airhde, the world of its 'A' series of modules. The Yggsburgh stuff is not specifically set there.

Yes, the default world is Erde/Airhde, but I don't remember it even being mentioned in the PH or the M&T. So the core rule books are not setting specific as best as I can remember.

Yggsburgh is pretty generic outside of its own lands, so as long as you have several hundred square miles of undefined lands somewhere on your campaign map it can be used by anyone. IT has tons of campaign ideas hidden within its text and classic Gygaxian attention to certain details. Ie political, religious, and social structure, economic factors, etc...

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
WayneLigon said:
That's really just amazingly sad. It still surprises me to this day how poorly run and criminally inadequate some hobby shops are.

You might want to look at Savage Worlds for a well-done and simple set of rules (unless you're a spell caster of some kind, almost every rule you'll ever need is spelled on on two pages); main book covers all main genres, has vehicle rules, mass battle system, spells, etc etc.

I find that most shop owners aren't really good at running a business, but seem instead to be focused on playing their preferred games with their buddies who sometimes swing by. They aren't interested in the RPG hobby as a whole.

Imaro

Legend
Just adding my voice to the C&C rocks category. This is the first game that all of my players bought the rulebook for($10 sale how can you beat that ;) ). It is also the only game where after playing twice every one of my players felt comfortable enough with the rules that each of them ran an adventure for it. I finally got to play.

Right now we're finishing up our Angel/Buffy game and then back to C&C. I have to say it's a low prep, streamlined game that gives me everything I wanted in D&D. The system is simple enough that players will have a full grasp of it within 15 minutes and it easily accomodates adding skills, feats, weapon mastery etc. if that's your thing.

I have to agree with the whole"hard to find outside of the internet" complaint, but the guys at Gamers Paradise in Century Mall special order anything I want so I'm cool there. I just ordered the Yggsburgh book, and a couple of modules off the Troll Lords sale so I will let you know my oppinion on those when they get here.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Philotomy Jurament said:
C&C is very compatible with older versions of D&D. You can use AD&D adventures, monsters, etc with trivial conversion (basically converting the AC by subtracting it from 20 to find the C&C AC). You can do such conversion on the fly. Since it's also related to d20, you can convert 3E stuff, too, but it isn't quite as straightforward.

Many C&C DMs claim that adding house-rules and subsystems to C&C is very easy. C&C is kind of like a "modern OD&D" in that sense: DMs tend to tweak it a lot to suit their taste, and C&C games can vary widely in their rules from DM to DM.

One of the selling points for me with C&C is how compatible it is with various subsystems. If you want to use non-weapon proficiencies, skills and feats, or no skill-based system at all, it's wide open.

You will probably hear most people talk about how compatible C&C is with AD&D, and that's very true. My old books have seen new life. I will also add that C&C is compatible with d20. I've seen people use skills and feats and even prestige classes. I sometimes feel that people focus on the old school so much that they forget that C&C works well with new school as well.

Mycanid, welcome to the crusade!

Remove ads