• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Why no beginner boxed set for 4E? [Set Confirmed in post 10]

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
(Leaving aside my personal feelings as a grognard on 4e...)

If the game is intended to draw in a new, presumably younger, gaming crowd -- a new generation, as it were -- why is there no "Basic Set" for the game? I am sure I am not alone in saying that the old Basic Set (mine was the one with the hot cleric chick and Bargle) got me hooked forever by the time I finished the solo adventure. My brothers and I ate it up as my dad moved us through it (individually, but all sitting at the table) and then, a few days later, ran us through the first level of the dungeon in the DMG (I'm still mad about being the only one to get killed by the carrion crawler).

2 games in and we all knew how to play D&D, enough so that my older brother -- 12 at the time -- was able to immediately pick up the reigns and carry on running that first dungeon (a map but no key for level 2, just a few hints for level 3). think about this: it not only made us fall in love with the game, it actually taught us the game in a very short period of time.

We ended up playing Basic D&D for years before moving on to 1E and 2E, but only because they kept making awesome stuff for BD&D. WotC wouldn't have to do that. They could get all the benefits of BD&D and still shunt people toward the 3 book model in a relatively short period of time.

Maybe the intro/fast play module will be similar, but I doubt it. Those things are usually poor imitations of the game they are supposed to represent. Plus, the whole players book, dm's book, and dice thing (and 4e could of course through in minis and battlemats) makes it feel complete and special.

Otherwise, it'll be the same thing all over again -- the same people playing the game, the same people complaining about it on the internet, and the same people lamenting that the player base is dwindling. You can stock 4E in Best Buy next to the XBOX 360 section all you want, but when the kid looks and sees they could buy 2 XBOX games for the buy in of D&D, they aren't going to bite.

Last edited:

Pale

First Post
"Basic" and "Advanced" D&D were two completely different games. I'm sure that 4E will have some sort of "starter kit" box available for interested new players. But I don't see the need for completely different rules set.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Pale said:
"Basic" and "Advanced" D&D were two completely different games.

I know. thanks. I was there. That didn't stop me -- or thousands of others -- from leaping from one to the next.

I'm sure that 4E will have some sort of "starter kit" box available for interested new players.

Me too. :sigh: Probably a lot like the one we had for 3E.

But I don't see the need for completely different rules set.

Nor I, but an actually playable and complete "Basic Set" would be better than what we've been given in the past. There's something seriously wrong with your game's design if you can't present it in a 32 page book for players and a 64 page book for DMs, plus maybe an adventure booklet. More to the point, it has to get people hooked, teach them the game and allow them to keep playing for a while without suddenly going and blowing a whole wad of cash. I am not suggesting there needs to be an "Expert Set" follow up, but if your Basic game is afully playable through 5 or 8 levels and meets all the stated goals, how can it possibly hurt your main game sales?

The Little Raven

First Post
As Keep on the Shadowfell releases a month before the books, I believe that is gonna be their introduction to the game, since it will probably have pregenerated characters and abbreviated rules.

Monkey Boy

First Post
Mourn said:
As Keep on the Shadowfell releases a month before the books, I believe that is gonna be their introduction to the game, since it will probably have pregenerated characters and abbreviated rules.

I don't think Keep on the Shadowfell will be their intro game for newbies. It's a module right? Not a boxed set.

4E needs a product with the impact of old Red Box (Basic D&D) with a similar but easier ruleset than 4E.

I think the gateway product should probably be more like a Milton Bradley Hero Quest or the current Heroscape?? but with a DnD style and similar rule set allowing rudimentary play all the way to say level 3. It's be like Red Box only with toys.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Who said there is no basic game? We haven't seen the schedule of new products beyond the core books and FRCS, and even that schedule has changed.
At Gen Con, I asked my rep about a Basic set. His reply was there will be one, but first we get the core rules. (Could you imagine the riot if this were reversed?)
I kinda expect a Basic set in time for Christmas.

Glyfair

Explorer
thalmin said:
Who said there is no basic game? We haven't seen the schedule of new products beyond the core books and FRCS, and even that schedule has changed.

In fact, Scott Rouse even said here there would be a basic set (like the 3.5 basic sets) released for 4E towards the end of 2008 here
Scott_Rouse said:
If you mean like the current Basic Game there will be later in 2008.

If you mean like the adventure game from the 3e launch that will be in the adventure Keep on the Shadowfell in April of 2008 that will include pre-gen characters and quick start 4e rules

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Keep on the Shadowfell will be an intro product for existing players to help transition to 4e rules.

In the fall of 2008 we have a product planed that will be a starter for new RPG players that will teach the basics.

Remove ads