• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Epic Level Beings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Change "sword" to "greatsword". A greatsword sized for a Huge creature would deal 4d6 points of damage (see Storm Giant). However, thanks to the greater titans' wield oversized weapon ability, he could used one sized for a Gargantuan creature, which would presumably do 5d6 (as listed).

Edit: He would do 5d6+27, based on his 47 Str and wielding two-handed.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here's an attempt at Coeus' fear power:

Lethal Frightful Presence (Su): Any creature within 60 feet of Coeus must make a DC X Will save or die. If the creature succeeds on the initial save, it must continue to make Will saves every round or become panicked for X rounds/minutes. The save DC is Charisma-based.

I'm not sure how to incorporate this:

All those that do not make their saving throw versus magic will be struck with a loss of 25% of their total original hit points every time they see him angry.
Also, I'd recommend adding "immunity to fear" to his SQ line. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
that's why i left it as "sword", because i wasn't sure where we would go with it and i wanted to be able to change it easily. :) don't forget the bonus from it being a +5 sword. so would this be the line we want for that weapon?:
+5 greatsword +61 melee (5d6+32/19-20/x2)

Oversized Weapon (Ex): Coeus can wield a great, two-handed weapon (big enough for Gargantuan creatures) with no penalty.

for the fear power, how about a Con drain to replace that hit point loss? :)

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
How about these:

“Lethal Fear” (Su): Any creature within 60 feet of Coeus must make a DC X Will save or die from fright. If the creature succeeds on the initial save, it must continue to make Will saves every round or become panicked for 2d8 minutes. The save DC is Charisma-based. (Coeus can suppress this ability at will?)

“Draining Presence” (Su): Any creature (of X HD or less?) that sees Coeus in a fit of rage must make a successful Will save (DC X) or be drained of X Constitution points. This is a mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

This brings up a question I had brewing. In 1E, Coeus was cursed with a negative Charisma score. I have seen this before on certain evil gods and beings that are very ugly. I have no idea how this worked. Naturally now, this would be far more of a hindrance that it ever could have been in the past, so I think we actually want to give Coeus a high Cha score. Suggestions?

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
“Lethal Fear” (Su): Any creature within 60 feet of Coeus must make a DC X Will save or die from fright. If the creature succeeds on the initial save, it must continue to make Will saves every round or become panicked for 2d8 minutes. The save DC is Charisma-based. (Coeus can suppress this ability at will?)
I like. Good idea on suppress ability. Additionally, should we state that other greater titans are immune to it?

BOZ said:
“Draining Presence” (Su): Any creature (of X HD or less?) that sees Coeus in a fit of rage must make a successful Will save (DC X) or be drained of X Constitution points. This is a mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.
So are we giving him the rage ability? That would be cool. :] For consistency, I'd reword it "or take X points of Constitution drain". Do we need a HD limit? I think the Will save is enough.

BOZ said:
This brings up a question I had brewing. In 1E, Coeus was cursed with a negative Charisma score. I have seen this before on certain evil gods and beings that are very ugly. I have no idea how this worked. Naturally now, this would be far more of a hindrance that it ever could have been in the past, so I think we actually want to give Coeus a high Cha score. Suggestions?
How about we give him a high Cha score, but under the skills entry state that due to his horrific appearance, Coeus takes a -X penalty to all Diplomacy, Handle Animal, etc. checks?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
I like. Good idea on suppress ability. Additionally, should we state that other greater titans are immune to it?

no, but we could give that an HD limit (see below, heh)

So are we giving him the rage ability? That would be cool. :] For consistency, I'd reword it "or take X points of Constitution drain". Do we need a HD limit? I think the Will save is enough.

heh, no Rage. Just going by, “All those that do not make their saving throw versus magic will be struck with a loss of 25% of their total original hit points every time they see him angry.” And yes, drain not damage – but I wasn’t sure how to word that. Maybe the drain could be 1d3 or 1d4. the reason for an HD limit is because I wasn’t sure he should affect everything that way – though we could always move the limit to the other ability?

How about we give him a high Cha score, but under the skills entry state that due to his horrific appearance, Coeus takes a -X penalty to all Diplomacy, Handle Animal, etc. checks?

maybe so, but the rules don’t do that anymore for ugly creatures with high Cha. A mind flayer has a 17, but would you make out with one? :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
heh, no Rage. Just going by, “All those that do not make their saving throw versus magic will be struck with a loss of 25% of their total original hit points every time they see him angry.” And yes, drain not damage – but I wasn’t sure how to word that. Maybe the drain could be 1d3 or 1d4. the reason for an HD limit is because I wasn’t sure he should affect everything that way – though we could always move the limit to the other ability?
If you go with a HD limit, I'd put it on the insta-kill effect (similar to power word kill, etc.)

BOZ said:
maybe so, but the rules don’t do that anymore for ugly creatures with high Cha. A mind flayer has a 17, but would you make out with one? :)
That would depend on how many beers I had. :eek:

I was thinking more from the "uncomfortable, palpable terror" than sheer ugliness for the ability. Kinda like the effect spectres and such have on animals. Speaking of which, how about this?

Unnatural Aura (Su): Animals, whether wild or domesticated, can sense the unnatural presence of Coeus at a distance of X feet. They do not willingly approach nearer than that and panic if forced to do so; they remain panicked as long as they are within that range.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
How about if I mix ‘em up a bit:

Lethal Fright (Su): Any creature (of X HD or less?) within 60 feet of Coeus must make a DC X Will save or die from fright. If the creature succeeds on the initial save, it must continue to make Will saves every round or become panicked for 2d8 minutes. The save DC is Charisma-based. Coeus can suppress this ability at will.

Draining Presence (Su): Any creature that sees Coeus in a fit of fury must make a successful Will save (DC X) or take X points of Constitution drain. Coeus can only use this ability once on a particular creature per encounter. This is a mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Shade said:
I was thinking more from the "uncomfortable, palpable terror" than sheer ugliness for the ability. Kinda like the effect spectres and such have on animals. Speaking of which, how about this?

Unnatural Aura (Su): Animals, whether wild or domesticated, can sense the unnatural presence of Coeus at a distance of X feet. They do not willingly approach nearer than that and panic if forced to do so; they remain panicked as long as they are within that range.

good idea, i'll keep it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads