• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Epic Level Beings

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreyShadow

Explorer
With his Shapechange, how about anything he changes to be unnaturally ugly. He can change his form, but not his nature. :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
Lethal Fright (Su): Any creature (of X HD or less?) within 60 feet of Coeus must make a DC X Will save or die from fright. If the creature succeeds on the initial save, it must continue to make Will saves every round or become panicked for 2d8 minutes. The save DC is Charisma-based. Coeus can suppress this ability at will.
I like. :cool:

BOZ said:
Draining Presence (Su): Any creature that sees Coeus in a fit of fury must make a successful Will save (DC X) or take X points of Constitution drain. Coeus can only use this ability once on a particular creature per encounter. This is a mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.
We should probably better define "fit of fury". Perhaps we can just borrow from frightful presence, and say "any time Coeus attacks, charges, or flies overhead" (we could probably leave out the fly part). Also, I'd reword "Coeus can only use this ability once on a particular creature per encounter" to "Whether or not the save is successful, that creature cannot be affected again by Coeus’s draining presence ability for 24 hours", just to be consistent with similar abilities.

Clifford said:
Oooh oooh oooh How about Symbol of fear as a spell like ability.
An excellent suggestion. :)

GreyShadow said:
With his Shapechange, how about anything he changes to be unnaturally ugly. He can change his form, but not his nature. :)
Brilliant! :D

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Clifford said:
Oooh oooh oooh How about Symbol of fear as a spell like ability.

noted, and welcome back cliff. :)

GreyShadow said:
With his Shapechange, how about anything he changes to be unnaturally ugly. He can change his form, but not his nature.

it wasn’t what I was going for, but actually I do like it! :) and welcome back to you too.

Shade said:
We should probably better define "fit of fury". Perhaps we can just borrow from frightful presence, and say "any time Coeus attacks, charges, or flies overhead" (we could probably leave out the fly part). Also, I'd reword "Coeus can only use this ability once on a particular creature per encounter" to "", just to be consistent with similar abilities.

I was just trying to come up with a more creative way of saying “when Coeus gets angry.” ;) but if that’s not very “3.5ish”, then I guess we can go with “when Coeus attacks or charges”.

And thanks for the rewording – sometimes I write something quickly in a “fit of inspiration” and fix the bad grammar better later - don’t feel bad about saving me some time with that. :D

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
I was just trying to come up with a more creative way of saying “when Coeus gets angry.” ;) but if that’s not very “3.5ish”, then I guess we can go with “when Coeus attacks or charges”.
I like creative wording, I was just afraid that some rules lawyer would argue with their DM about when it applied.

BOZ said:
And thanks for the rewording – sometimes I write something quickly in a “fit of inspiration” and fix the bad grammar better later - don’t feel bad about saving me some time with that. :D
Those fits of inspiration have given us some of best ideas, so keep 'em coming. :cool:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
I like creative wording, I was just afraid that some rules lawyer would argue with their DM about when it applied.

No, I totally get where you’re coming from. “attacking or charging” does seem to work for the best.

More thoughts for coeus:

1E DDG has him as a 15th level magic-user. Seems to me that sorcerer is the most likely choice now.

for “Coeus can shape change at will,” how about borrowing from what we did with Cronus?
Alternate Form (Su): Coeus can assume any form of (Huge?) size or smaller as a standard action. This ability functions as a polymorph spell cast on himself (caster level Xth), except that Coeus does not regain hit points for changing form. Coeus can remain in his alternate form until he chooses to assume a new one or return to his natural form.

How shall we write in the part about him remaining unnaturally ugly in every form?

And spell-like abilities, we have the standard for evil titans:
Spell-Like Abilities: At will – bestow curse (DC X), chain lightning (DC X), charm monster (DC X), cure critical wounds (DC X), deeper darkness, fire storm (DC X), greater dispel magic, hold monster (DC X), invisibility, invisibility purge, levitate, persistent image (DC X), polymorph (humanoid forms only, duration 1 hour), protection from energy, read magic, unholy blight (DC X); 3/day – etherealness, freedom of movement, greater teleport, summon nature’s ally IX, word of chaos (DC X); 1/day – Bigby’s crushing hand (DC X), gate, maze, meteor swarm (DC X), plane shift, wind walk. Caster level 25th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Plus Clifford’s suggestion of Symbol of fear.

And here are a few ideas of my own (some can be used for sorcerer spells, alternatively):
Ghost sound, ventriloquism, cause fear, scare, spectral hand, rage, confusion, shout (or greater), fear, nightmare, baleful polymorph, greater shadow conjuration.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
also, rewrote this a bit after comparing with the entry for dragons:
Draining Presence (Su): Coeus can drain the life out of foes with his angry presence. This ability takes effect automatically whenever Coeus attacks or charges, and any creatures looking at Coeus must make a successful Will save (DC X) or take X points of Constitution drain. Whether or not the save is successful, that creature cannot be affected again by Coeus’ draining presence ability for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
1E DDG has him as a 15th level magic-user. Seems to me that sorcerer is the most likely choice now.
I agree.

BOZ said:
for “Coeus can shape change at will,” how about borrowing from what we did with Cronus?

How shall we write in the part about him remaining unnaturally ugly in every form?
How about:

Alternate Form (Su): Coeus can assume any form of (Huge?) size or smaller as a standard action. This ability functions as a polymorph spell cast on himself (caster level Xth), except that Coeus does not regain hit points for changing form. Coeus always appears as an extremely ugly member of whatever creature type he assumes. Coeus can remain in his alternate form until he chooses to assume a new one or return to his natural form.

BOZ said:
And spell-like abilities, we have the standard for evil titans:
Spell-Like Abilities: At will – bestow curse (DC X), chain lightning (DC X), charm monster (DC X), cure critical wounds (DC X), deeper darkness, fire storm (DC X), greater dispel magic, hold monster (DC X), invisibility, invisibility purge, levitate, persistent image (DC X), polymorph (humanoid forms only, duration 1 hour), protection from energy, read magic, unholy blight (DC X); 3/day – etherealness, freedom of movement, greater teleport, summon nature’s ally IX, word of chaos (DC X); 1/day – Bigby’s crushing hand (DC X), gate, maze, meteor swarm (DC X), plane shift, wind walk. Caster level 25th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Plus Clifford’s suggestion of Symbol of fear.

And here are a few ideas of my own (some can be used for sorcerer spells, alternatively):
Ghost sound, ventriloquism, cause fear, scare, spectral hand, rage, confusion, shout (or greater), fear, nightmare, baleful polymorph, greater shadow conjuration.
I like all the suggested additions, as well as phantasmal killer.

From the original greater titan spell-like list, I could see removing invisibility and deeper darkness (he wants people to look at him, right?) and polymorph (reduntant with alternate form).

BOZ said:
also, rewrote this a bit after comparing with the entry for dragons:
Draining Presence (Su): Coeus can drain the life out of foes with his angry presence. This ability takes effect automatically whenever Coeus attacks or charges, and any creatures looking at Coeus must make a successful Will save (DC X) or take X points of Constitution drain. Whether or not the save is successful, that creature cannot be affected again by Coeus’ draining presence ability for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Looks great!

BOZ said:
besides that, shouldn't take much more to finish him off. :)
So we need not fear "Coeus interruptus"? :p

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
I like all the suggested additions, as well as phantasmal killer.

From the original greater titan spell-like list, I could see removing invisibility and deeper darkness (he wants people to look at him, right?) and polymorph (reduntant with alternate form).

Cool. I’ll start working on a spell list tonight, most likely. I will shift invisibility and deeper darkness to his sorcerer list – there may actually be times when he wants to move around unseen. I tend to see him as this little sneaky guy among Titans, who loves to scare the shi’ite out of anything smaller than him. ;)

So we need not fear "Coeus interruptus"? :p

*head spins* one would hope not! :eek:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, here's what i came up with so far:

Spell-Like Abilities: At will – bestow curse (DC X), cause fear (DC X), chain lightning (DC X), charm monster (DC X), confusion (DC X), cure critical wounds (DC X), fear (DC X), fire storm (DC X), ghost sound (DC X), greater dispel magic, hold monster (DC X), invisibility purge, levitate, persistent image (DC X), protection from energy, read magic, scare (DC X), unholy blight (DC X); 3/day – etherealness, freedom of movement, greater teleport, phantasmal killer (DC X), summon nature’s ally IX, word of chaos (DC X); 1/day – Bigby’s crushing hand (DC X), gate, maze, meteor swarm (DC X), plane shift, wind walk. Caster level 25th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Spells: Coeus can cast arcane spells as a 15th-level sorcerer (6/X/X/X/X/X/X/X; save DC X + spell level). He has access to the following spells:
0 – daze, prestidigitation, ray of frost; 9 total
1st – expeditious retreat, protection from good, ventriloquism; 5
2nd – darkness, invisibility, spectral hand, summon swarm; 5
3rd – displacement, nondetection, rage; 4
4th – shout; 4
5th – baleful polymorph, nightmare; 4
6th – symbol of fear; 3
7th – greater shadow conjuration. 2
The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Got any suggestions to finish off the sorcerer list? :)

Now, of course, would be a good time to determine his Charisma score. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads