Converting Monsters from D&D Official Video Games

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good catch, Filby! I updated the Environment with this information.

I could have sworn there was a chart in one of the books that showed equivalent planes if you aren't using the FR Cosmology, but I can't seem to find it. In the meantime, I'll leave Acheron in parentheses after The Barrens of Doom and Despair for those who aren't using FR.

I dig the avatar, too. :cool:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Any thoughts on this?

Shade said:
Shall we set caster level for spell-likes equal to HD (8th)?

I'm thinking 6d8 for breath weapon damage. Does that sound reasonable?

For languages, Infernal, Common and Draconic?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Great! Updated. On to feats and skills.

For feats, I'm thinking Ability Focus (breath weapon) is a given. Any thoughts on other feats? (It gets 3 total.)

For skills how about: Bluff, Concentration, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (the planes), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot. (9 ranks each, 99 total ranks)?

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
Great! Updated. On to feats and skills.

For feats, I'm thinking Ability Focus (breath weapon) is a given. Any thoughts on other feats? (It gets 3 total.)

For skills how about: Bluff, Concentration, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (the planes), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot. (9 ranks each, 99 total ranks)?
Feats: I suggest Power Attack, Cleave, and Improved Initiative (ignoring Ability Focus).

Skills: Sounds good.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Krishnath, I decided to go with your feat suggestions and scrap Ability Focus. I've gotten a bit carried away with that feat. :heh:

Does anyone remember what the fumble spell did in previous editions? I don't think it exists in 3E, and I don't remember it from older editions.

Does CR 8 seem about right? They seem to be on par with an erinyes or a vrock.

Should we give them a summon ability, similar to demons and devils? They didn't have one in the game, but then again, neither did the demons or devils.

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
Krishnath, I decided to go with your feat suggestions and scrap Ability Focus. I've gotten a bit carried away with that feat. :heh:

Does anyone remember what the fumble spell did in previous editions? I don't think it exists in 3E, and I don't remember it from older editions.

Does CR 8 seem about right? They seem to be on par with an erinyes or a vrock.

Should we give them a summon ability, similar to demons and devils? They didn't have one in the game, but then again, neither did the demons or devils.
Good.
I have no idea what the fumble spell did, as the only D&D experience I have outsider of 3E (and 3.5) is from classic computer RPG's such as Pool of Radiance, Death Knights of Krynn, and my favourite computer RPG of all time, Eye of the Beholder (the entire trilogy, Darkmoon was the best, up until the final tower).
CR 8 is to high, I would go with CR 6.
Summoning is good, but not necessary for this devil.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Krish, I'll go with CR 6. BOZ was kind enough to pass along the Fumble spell for us:

Fumble
(Enchantment/Charm)

Range: 10 yds./level Components: V, S, M
Duration: 1 rd./level Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: 30-ft. cube Saving Throw: Special

When a fumble spell is cast, the wizard creates an area in which all creatures suddenly become clumsy and awkward. Running creatures trip and fall, those reaching for an item drop it, those employing weapons likewise awkwardly drop them, etc. Recovery from a fall or picking up a fumbled object typically requires a successful saving throw and takes one round. Note that breakable items might suffer damage when dropped. A subject succeeding with his saving throw can act freely that round, but if he is in the area at the beginning of the next round, another saving throw is required. Alternatively, the spell can be cast at an individual creature. Failure to save means the creature is affected for the spell's entire duration; success means the creature is slowed (see the 3rd-level spell).
The material component of this spell is a dab of solidified milk fat.

So how does this look?

Fumble (Sp): Once per day, a bane minion can create a 30-foot cube in which all creatures suddenly become clumsy and awkward. This cube lasts for 8 rounds. Creatures in the area must make a DC 16 Will save each round. Success means that the creature is unaffected that round, but a new save must be made again in the next round unless it leaves the area. Affected creatures who take a double move or are charging fall prone. Creatures drop all held items, and cannot pick up objects. Alternatively, the spell can be cast at an individual creature. The creature must make a DC 16 Will save or be affected for the spell's entire duration (8 rounds); success means the creature is slowed (as the spell) for 8 rounds. This is a mind-affecting, enchantment effect. Caster level 8th. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm not sure if it is necessary, but since it had so few spell-like abilities, I figured why not? :)

BTW, Krishnath, I've never played the Eye of the Beholder series (although I do have them as part of one of the FR Classics sets). Were their any new monsters in those games?

Remove ads