Vasorn, The World Under Dragonfire - Calling all players!

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
This game will be something completely different.

Over 400 years ago the Dragons took over, smashing the bastions of the arcane, draconic gods slaying the gods of the lesser races and silencing diving power, enslaving the other races and taking over the world. The dwarves and gnomes live as slave races forced to mine and create fine things for draconic hoards, the humans live in their towns, tending herds and crops for the dragons' food, and what few elves that didn't die are forced to work continuously to dismantle the endless ruins that dot Vasorn's surface.

Orcs live in savage hoards on their own, though at any time they can be captured for slave labor. Halfling retain a measure of autonomy, and are the only lesser race allowed to move freely across the surface, taking care of all the trade (though they of course are always led by a half-dragon).

In the Underdark things have not gone so well for the dragons. As the Underdark has far more places to hide, many of the drow, duegar, and svirfneblin have escaped and organize heavy resistance against them, along with the occasional aboleth, illithid, and beholder. Under the waves of the ocean the aquatic races fight the dragons as well.

But with all the races under the claws of the dragons, what can heroes do? Well, that's up to you.

What's written above is only a small part of the history and culture of Vasorn, and I'd highly recommend checking out the following link before deciding.

Vasorn, the world under dragonfire

What Vasorn means for PC creation
With the gods dead and the dragon gods refusing worshippers from the lesser races, the only way to get clerical divine power is through a PrC like those in Malhavoc Press' Requiem for a God (Disaffected with different flavor text or the Harvester of Divinity are appropriate).

Also, most of the lesser races do not have any special arms training aside from hunting weapons (bows, spears, knives), unless they are draconic-led monster-hunting teams (about as close to normal adventurers as they can get).

Virtually all arcane schools were destroyed when the dragons took over, so unless you're from the Underdark, it's unlikely you're a wizard. Teaching arcane magic to the lesser races is an offense punishable by death, but some have it in their blood anyway (sorcerers) and attempt to use it discretely anyway to lessen their workload.

Druids are the most common casters of any magic, though the dragons keep a close watch on any they suspect to be druids. The dragons hate magic that they don't control, and so most druids make the most of their shapeshifting abilities and spend a great deal of time hiding.

Character Creation: 3.5 rules, ECL 11 including templates. Standard wealth. 32 point-buy. max HP at first level, 75% of max for remaining levels. Books allowed will be Races of Faerun, FRCS, Magic of Faerun, Faiths and Pantheons, Materia Magica (Dark Nebulae), Arms and Armor (Bastion Press), all splatbooks, all three core books, MMII, Monsters of Faerun, Psionics Handbook, Mindscapes, (and now Expanded Psionics Handbook), Drconomicon, Savage Species, and Dragon magazine #277-#319. Also my own PrCs (link in sig) are up for use as well. Spellcasting Prodigy is banned. What you see is what you get for the books, I won't be using anything outside of them. Everything is subject to DM approval before use (as well as the most current errata).

Where shall we adventure
That's up to you. I have about a half-dozen suggested routes for adventures that PCs could take in Vasorn in the link, so take a read and see what you think. As for level, we'll cross that bridge once everyone decides what kind of adventure they'd like to do.

Who will answer this call?

Heroes of Vasorn
Paxus Asclepius - Grim "Shadowman" Daergal - N Male Svirfneblin 3/ Rogue 3/ Illusionist 5
Keia - Zykovian Sarellion - N Male Psionic [3] Half-Dragon Sapphire [4] Rogue 2/ Fighter 2 [Type: Dragon, Human Base]
Velmont - Gortag Barrik - N Male Orc Figther 10/ Barbarian 1
Dark Nemesis - Alyshia Ra’nier - CN Female Drow [2] Rogue 3/ Wizard 5/ Arcane Trickster 1
Zerth - Zass'sk - LN Male Lizardfolk 2/ Monk 8
Nac Mac Feegle - Eleth Shadowfall - CG Male Shadow Elf Ranger 5/Dragonstalker 4

Alternates
Manzanita
Graywolf-ELM
Urbanmech

Inactive Players and Characters
Dr. Zombie - Iluvan'an Tesau, Jester of Death, Ishamael, Betrayer of Hope - N Male Elven Bard 11 (deceased)
Kalanyr - Elaugaugein Ark'en'ett - CG Male Drow 2/Wizard 6/Fighter 1/Spellsword 1/Dragonslayer 1 (deceased)
Velenne - Durlp - N Male Wererat Gnome Ranger 7 [LA 3]

Rogue's Gallery
In Character Thread

Last edited:

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
I'd love to get in on this game, no matter how it turns out, but as I'm the first poster, I figure I'll get my ideas in as fast as I can.

I'd prefer to start out with at least a modicum of ability to survive a dragon attack, at least by an individual; the idea of a group of Underdark freedom fighters, respected, envied, and possibly even liked by the surface-dwellers has a lot of appeal. I think the setting is best exploited by having the group focus on combatting the dragons, both directly (sabotage, raids and assassinations on the collaborators, maybe even a hatchling or two if we're really foolhardy) and through aiding organized resistance. The essence of the dead gods should come into play at some point, but ideally by pure accident; I see nothing to indicate that anyone but the linnorms can even imagine that the gods are still around.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Paxus, glad to have you aboard. I also know that Brother Shatterstone expressed interest in this game, so that makes two. I'd like to take no more than six, plus some alternates.

I thought the Underdark angle might be a big draw too, so I have some ideas in that direction. :D

Velmont

First Post
I like the background. I have always loved resistance game, so a game where we are fithing against the dragon could be cool. I have even one concept that could be pretty interesting to play.

As Paxus said, a game where we can survive a single dragon attack of low power could do a good start of power. In no way we should be able to survive a massive dragon attack or a powerfull one, something that we have to think twice and prepare ourselves well if we want to kill a dragon.

As for any things else. underdark or undersee, on an hidden village or as a hafling trevleller, all could be interestiing.

DrZombie

First Post
You can count me in. While it could be fun to play a group that would be able to survive a dragon attack, imagine how much fun it would be to start as first level slaves of one of the most powerfull dragons, and then try to plot an escape, sorta like "the great escape" movie. THAT would be dangerous and exciting. That sorta thing could be played with only a few players.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
DrZombie said:
You can count me in. While it could be fun to play a group that would be able to survive a dragon attack, imagine how much fun it would be to start as first level slaves of one of the most powerfull dragons, and then try to plot an escape, sorta like "the great escape" movie. THAT would be dangerous and exciting. That sorta thing could be played with only a few players.

It might be fun initially, but then there's a tremendous timegap between the beginning and the point at which we can actually do anything besides run and hide. It would also take a truly ridiculous amount of planning, and an unusually high post rate, to have even the slightest chance of pulling it off without suspending our disbelief from a rafter with its own belt.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
I see my name already on the list I wonder how that happened. :D Isida, I'm glad you started recruiting for this little gem. ;)

Slaves could be interesting, especially if everyone is interested in playing a different species, but dragons, and their armies do not mix well with first level characters. :)

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
I see my name already on the list I wonder how that happened. :D Isida, I'm glad you started recruiting for this little gem. ;)

Slaves could be interesting, especially if everyone is interested in playing a different species, but dragons, and their armies do not mix well with first level characters. :)

If we go the Underdark route, that'll give us an easy explanation for why we're together, and I've wanted to play a svirf for a long time. Incidentally, Isida, are you allowing the Arcane Trickster, or any similar PrC?

Remove ads