Of Jungle Deeps and Ocean Depths

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
For this game I would like actions to be between *asterisks*, thoughts to be in italics, and words to be in "quotes." Occasionally I will put information for a single player or words in a language that only certain people know in spoiler text. So please read the entire post including the OOC information at the bottom before highlighting any spoiler text. If you wish to use colors for certain things, go ahead, but be sure to include the thing above. Also, when in doubt, go for the lighter color.

For combat, please include any conditional modifiers at the end in the OOC.

Our Cast of Characters
Erekose13 - Prince Undinar Deptholas, Male Water Genasi Fighter 6/Living Spell 4
silentspace - Invelion - Male Sun Elf Wizard 5/Harper Mage 4/Mage Killer 2
Manzanita - Julian Hemlock - Male Half Aquatic Elf/half human(Chondathian) Rogue 3/Ran 4/Shadowdancer 3
Candide - Hrothgar - Male Human Barbarian7/Frenzied Berserker3
TroyXavier - Nicodemus "Nick" Tiberius Annakin Spellweaver Tinker Annarat - Male Gnome Rogue 3/ Sorcerer 2/ Gnome Artificer 5
Wilphe - Gudenny - Female Riverfolk Rogue 2 / Bard 1 / Wizard 2 / Druid 5

Inactive Players and Characters
flyingricepaddy - Tholon Hazevo - Male Human Cleric 5/Harper Priest 5 (away on business)
Wynter Wolf - Erik Von Horne - Male Human Fighter 5/ Bondblade 5 (departed company)
Douane - Doran Kalduras - Male Human Fighter 4/Ranger 1/Rogue 2/Devoted Defender 3 (deceased)
Jarval -Mourn Calaudra - Male Sun Elf Conjurer 5/Alienist 5 (Off in the Far Realms. How he got there, he has no idea)
Keia - Rappai, The Seer - Female Grippli Cleric 7/Divine Oracle 3, with Jarrijan, male grippli monk 8, cohort (At grippli village)
Lichtenhart - Mad Harry Rackham - Male Human Rogue 10 (with his father at Lake Tikara)
Zerth - Tiana DeWine - Female Human Ranger 1/Fighter 4/Lasher 4/Duelist 2 (departed company)

Out Of Character Thread
Rogue's Gallery Thread

And now, the story begins...

~~~~~

The sun dawns over the lush, tropical city of Mezro, capital of Chult, and its spiritual center. Songs to the Chultan gods ring out over the city from the many temples, combining with the sounds of ancient gongs of brass. The sounds can be heard in every corner of the city, calling everyone to wakefulness, so that the day is not spent in sloth.

In the traveler's inn the Rainbow bird, Undinar and Erik are startled awake by the gongs, still unused to them after a week in the city. And even if they somehow managed to sleep through them, the parrot-like corellaxes would quickly rouse them. The walls here do not go completely to the ceiling, but are built with a small air space all around to facilitate airflow. If not, rooms would quickly grow mold and mildew in this humid and hot climate. The corellaxes can fit handily through them, and fly through the inn's room, calling for everyone to wake.

Large windows, oddly curved in the round inn, are fitted with filmy drapes to deflect away the worst of the sunshine. Though the inn is far cooler than simply shade could make it, due to an enchantment on the building, it is still not particularly cold. Rising, both can find cooled fruit juice, fresh fish, flat bread, and fresh fruit of dizzing varities downstairs for their pleasure.

Both have been here about a week, waiting for word from Obar, a merchant and supplier, that the group he was gathering had arrived. Undinar's desire to find the sacred spring was strong, but he knew that he would be far safer in a group than alone. Obar had warned them, the jungles were treacherous to the single traveler. He promised a native guide, and saw to the hiring of warriors, magicians, and healers to accompany Undinar. Luckily, Undinar had come across Erik, a mercenary and soldier of fortune. Though he had the odd habit of talking to his sword, his sword skills were second to none. At least he would have one companion, if Obar's group fell through.

The merchant's price for this venture had been in the way of a side quest. He desired several items from tribes along the route they were likely to take, and it was up to them to obtain them for the merchant. And the downpayment of course. A few hundred gold for supplies and the guide's payment, but you've already paid, returnable on demand if it fell through.

Mourn, your searches in the city for more knowledge on your speciality have lead you to the conclusion that while you haven't seen signs of pursuit, perhaps it would be best to get yourself some additional protection. Someone to look out for elves for you, someone to guard your back. It worried you tremendously to let someone into your guard, but it had to be done.

Searching about you found a human man by the name of Doran. While he knew of elves, he himself was not an elf, and came from far enough away to not have been in contact with the elves of Evermeet. Hiring him with what little remained of your money, he has been guarding you for about three weeks.

Four days ago you and Doran were approached by a Chultan merchant who called himself Obar. An established supplier, he has lived in Mezro all his life (which you were able to determine), and has no connection to the elves. He said he had heard about your magical skills from some of his customers and had some potential employment. He mentioned the possibility of pulling some strings to get you into the Mezro wizard's college, at least in a auxiliry capacity, in addition to more mundane pay.

Doran, a week into your stay in Mezro you were approached by a rather nervous sun elf requesting protection for his person. His rather vague description of his "troubles" gave you the impression that he had some elven enemies he wished to protect himself from. A hard-working magician, he didn't seem the type, at first glance, to get himself into anything serious. Most likely he just was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Now he has a job lined up involving an expedition into the jungles. Obar is to contact you at your boarding house, the Silver Fin.

Tholon and Tiana, when you traveled south to head for Chult you found many of the passage prices exhorbitant at the least, or were making roundabout trading routes that would have taken months to get there. However, after diligent searching, you both found a Chultan trader called Ugal. Liking the cut of both of your jibs, he told both of you he worked for a merchant and supplier in Mezro called Obar. He was putting together a party for a jungle expedition, and made it sound very exciting. For a reduced fee, he took you both to Mezro, and has agreed to set you up with Obar.

Your ship, the Jade Fish, docks today. The trip has taken three weeks, and you've gotten to know each other. Your first view of Mezro is one of a city more plant than stone or wood. Heavy plants and trees, vines and flowers dot nearly every surface. Each building has trees out front and huge boxes of flowers on their windows. Painted in bright colors and redolent with exotic purfumes and spices, the air is filled with song and gongs as the sun breaks over this ancient city.

You both can see the market as you pull in, and Ugal urges you to explore for a while.

"Go ahead and take a look around while I finished unloading the ship. You can ask for directions to Obar's Outfitters when you're done, but no more than two hours from now. The merchants will know the way, or the guards. They're the ones in red kilts and sashes with spears. Oh, and keep your weapons hidden or peace-bonded, that's standard procedure in the city. Not doing so marks you as an ignorant traveler."

The market is full of jewel stalls, fishmongers, baked good sellers, ribbon hawkers, potters, jewelery makers, fruit and vegetable sellers, several booths selling freshly roashing meat on a stick, and at least one seller of exotic plants and beasts. Jewel-bright birds fly by in the air, calling out a myriad of sweet songs, occasionally monkeys climb the trees, and every now and then you can spot a flower-like tiny frog hopping from leaf to leaf.

Last edited:

Zerth

First Post
Tiana

Tiana was standing on the deck of the Jade Fish watching the ship slowly making it's way to the crowded docks. She was excited and curious - and just happy to be soon feeling the earth under her feet again, even if she had enjoyed the sea trip, which was the longest she has ever had.

"Everything is so full of life here! Look at all those colorful birds and trees!" The young woman looked at the man standing next to her and smiled. "Tholon, we do have time to check the market, don't we? I'm just dying to get off this ship. That Obar fellow can wait just a little longer, right?"

*Tiana took Ugal's advice and started stashing her whip dagger into her backpack while talking to Tholon. Her rapier was safely hidden in the red leather glove of storing.*

Erekose13

Explorer
Prince Undinar Deptholas

Undinar wakes from his sleep rather abruptly at the sound of the gongs. "While I am really liking this city, I don't think I will ever get used to those. Come on Erik up with you, lets see if this day will bring a start to our quest." he says, drawing a deep breath. Ah the smell of the sea, I don't know what it will be like to be so far away from it. The trek overland from Vilhon Reach was difficult enough, atleast I don't have to suffer any of those oppressive crowded cities.

*Stretching Undinar gathered a few of his things before heading downstairs to see what they had for breakfast. He sincerely hoped that the mangos he'd tried the other day never went out of season.*

flyingricepaddy

First Post
Tholon Hazevo

Tholon glances at Tiana, and (through the grin of exhileration that's been plastered over his face for most of the day) responds, "Well, Obar can wait for the next two hours, from what Ugal said. Shall we?"

Tholon gestures forward ("ladies first"-like), and follows Tiana as she (presumably) leaves the docks and walks towards the market.

(His weapons will be in his backpack, save for his daggers which will be in concealed sheaths.)

Last edited:

Jarval

Explorer
Whistling a cheerful tune, Mourn strolls through the marketplace, on the lookout for any unusual items of a magical nature. To be sure, such finds are rare, even in a port the size of Mezro, but it never hurt to keep an eye out for a bargain.

Mourn's demeanour is far more buoyant than it's been for weeks. No news of elves in the city always pleased him, and the prospects of regular payment eased any concerns about retaining the services of his new bodyguard, but the possibility of gaining access to the college was worth more than any of this.

At last, I may get some answers to my research. He thought with a smile. Sensing his master's good mood, Thorik climbed out of a pocket on Mourn's robe, scrambling up to sit on the wizard's shoulder. A gurgling squeak informed Mourn of both Thorik's presence, and his hunger. Stopping beside a fishmonger's stall, he regarded the array of sea-food with interest.

"What do you want then? Pick something cheap, as I've got other things to spend my coin on today."

Wynter Wolf

First Post
"i am awake, that sound is really not going to be easy to get used to." He says stretching in the bed.

*Erik rolls out of bed and starts getting his stuff on to go down stairs, after puting on a nice set of clothes he straps his sword on and makes sure the peace bond is in place.*

"What?" he pauses "I am sorry if you feel shackled with the peace bond on but its the law around here."......."I know it bothers you but hopefully we wont be in the city much longer." He turns to look at Undinar. "Ready for breakfast? Im hungry my self."

Zerth

First Post
flyingricepaddy said:
Tholon gestures forward ("ladies first"-like), and follows Tiana as she (presumably) leaves the docks and walks towards the market.
*Nodding to Tholon in appreciation* "Always the gentleman, I see." Wasting no time when the ship is docked she makes her way to the busy market area trying to catch a glimpse of everything in this exotic city.

Erekose13

Explorer
Just before heading downstairs, Undinar makes sure that he has securely fastened his new sheath for his trident. He had had to get that made specially for the weapon as not many leather makers had even seen one. It was really little more than a brown leather sack tied round it. Undinar wasn't too concerned the enchantments that had been placed on the weapon were quite in line with the peaceful nature of the city. He had also found that many stared at his sharkskin armor and probably at his skin and hair too. So while hot, he tied his cloak around him trying to conceal atleast the grey armor that he wore.

Heading downstairs with Erik and that sword of his, Undinar choose his favourite spot towards one side of the room that offered a nice view of the entire dinning area. Then he looked around to see if the owner was around. His mouth watered thinking of the delicious fruit that she served.

Douane

First Post
Small.

And even if he added a hundred insults to this, nothing could be more condemning to Dorans mind.

And while he would have liked nothing better than to leave Mezro behind him as fast as possible to return to civilized regions, the fates had conspired against him in this regard. Just when Doran had least expected it, he had been approached by a client. Not a prime client, of course, but nevertheless.

The elf Mourn Calaudra needed protection and no one was better suited to provide this than Doran. But some doubts still lingered, especially with the client refusing to name the reason why he actually needed a defender. A job without sufficent information was always a tough one and he urged himself to keep his guard up at all times, and in all directions.

"Mourn, I wish you wouldn't surge ahead of me in this crowd, just because you saw this or that item. There's no way I can do my job accurately under these circumstances.

Especially not, if I don't know what, or whom, I should be looking out for."

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
*Tholon and Tiana step away from the docks, breathing in the purfume-laden air, the tang of the sea, the spiciness of incense. Strolling to the main market, you ears hear a myriad of dialects, some common, some musically-accented dwarven, some the flowing language of Chult you heard Ugal speak, halfling, gnome...*

*The place is awash with color and sweet and spicy scents. One man, a cheerful-looking plump Chultan dressed in bright red and orange robes, tends a grill putting out a savory aroma of grilled meat. Several jewel merchants, dwarves all, guarded by stern-looking dwarven men and woman with scarlet sashes and elaborate tattoos, have their dazzling wares arranged under shady tents. Sellers of jewelry are nearby, hawking silver and gold baubles.*

*Sellers of fruits and vegetables are everywhere, selling a dizzying variety of produce. Several of the items in their bins are unrecognizeable to northerners. A ribbon-seller, her wares on a tray, circulates the crowd, singing out the quality of her wares. A seller of bread and buns has a large booth, with several apprentices also walking with trays. You can smell fresh honey and fruit cakes as they pass by. A seller of fresh fish, closest to the harbor, employs a wizard of some sort to keep his products fresh, and his booth is thronged by those seeking both food and a change in temperature.*

*A spice merchant holds forth on one corner of the square, and a potter displays her wares next to another booth selling woven baskets. Finally, one of the largest booths holds both plants and flowers in tubs as well as brightly-colored birds on perches, different small beasts in cages, a baskets of cats and kittens, several short-haired hounds on leashes, and several tiny wire cages holding some other things you can't see from this distance.*

~~~

*Undinar and Erik find Crilly, the proprietress of the Rainbow Bird organizing breakfast. Breaking into a bright smile when she sees you, she points to two bowls of your favorite fruit, including ripe mangos, that she's set aside for you.*

"I have a message from Obar for you. He says to come by his shop by noon today, as the last of those he has hired have arrived," she says cheerfully.

~~~

*Thorik considers his options, and points to a bright yellow sunfish, one prized for the slightly lemony flavor to its flesh. Not exactly the cheapest, but not the most expensive either. The fishmonger lets it go for five copper, though he regards the weasel with a furrowed brow and makes a comment about how the poor thing is all "skin and bones."*

*Returning briefly to the Silver Fin you have a message waiting from Obar. It seems your erstwhile employer requests you and Doran's presence at his shop by noon today.*

Remove ads