• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

101 Quick-n-Dirty Variant Classes (see post #1 for list!)

Eternalknight

First Post
#10 Archer
This fighter variant concentrates on long-range attacks.

Mechanical Changes:
d8 hit dice, only proficient with light armour, monk BAB
Gains the monk flurry of blows ability that can be used with any bow. In addition, they gain the Enhance Arrow ability of the arcane archer beginning at 4th level and increasing by +1 every four levels thereafter.

Reynard

Legend
Eternalknight said:
Nice idea, but I think a bit underpowered. Maybe add trackless step and woodland stride as well?

Rangers already get the woodland stride (at 7th) and I think it is better to emulate Trackless Step with mundane skill use.

Reynard

Legend
Eternalknight said:
#10 Archer
This fighter variant concentrates on long-range attacks.

Mechanical Changes:
d8 hit dice, only proficient with light armour, monk BAB
Gains the monk flurry of blows ability that can be used with any bow. In addition, they gain the Enhance Arrow ability of the arcane archer beginning at 4th level and increasing by +1 every four levels thereafter.

This would be a little overpowered if the class retains the fighter bonus feats. Remember that, in general, increases to ranged attack capability are much more potent than melee bonuses because ranged attacks lessen the threat against the character.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Eternalknight said:
Nice idea, but I think a bit underpowered.
I agree. Underpowered.

Reynard said:
This would be a little overpowered if the class retains the fighter bonus feats.
I disagree. Remember, they're not only stripped back to d8's and light armour, but their BAB is only at 3/4, not full. They're some pretty serious balancing factors, IMO.

Reynard

Legend
Aus_Snow said:
I agree. Underpowered.

Up the skill points to 8/level? Retain Combat Styles?

I disagree. Remember, they're not only stripped back to d8's and light armour, but their BAB is only at 3/4, not full. They're some pretty serious balancing factors, IMO.

I'll buy that. I forgot/missed the BAB reduction.

Reynard

Legend
Berserker -- Fighter Variant

This is a non-barabrian warrior who rages, perhaps a cultist to a god of war or a special shock trooper.

Up HD to d12.
Add the Rage chain.
No bonus feat at 1st level. Bonus feats at 2nd, 5th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th & 20th.

Sravoff

First Post
Class #12 Elemental Commander

Commands the inborn elemental power

Mechanical Changes: Wizard:
Diesn't cast spells, instead spells deal elemental damage=1d6/spell level. 0th give 1d4 damage. Reflex save for half. Can use spell in light armor. Gain light armor proficient, adn mdeium Bab, like rogue. Gain sorcerers weapon proficiencies. Also may command/Rebuke elementals. Can also use summon monster to call elementals once per spell level as an apropriate summon monster spell. Example, A fifth level Elemental Commander can can use summon monster 1, 2, and 3 all once per day. Can only call elementals.

[edit] Added command rebuke elementals and abilitym to summone elementals[/edit]

Last edited:

Sravoff

First Post
Class #13 Dark Cavelier

He rides from the Abyss with the anger of the dark ones burning inside.

Mechanical Changes: Paladin
Drop spell casting and remove disease. Gain warhorse/other mount at first level. Bonus's for an animal campanion with paladin levels equalling druid level for effects. Gain int bonus and other abilities for warhorse as normal. Smite Evil>Smite good, Lay on hands is now negative energy. Darkk Cavelier now is healed by negative energy instead of positive energy. Must be either Chaotic Evil or Lawful Evil, depending on if you fight for demons or devils.

(The warhorse may bee too strong, perhaps 1/2 paladin level adn get either druid animal campanion or paladin wwarhorse str/dex/hd and ac bonus.)

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Sravoff said:
Class #12 Elemental Commander

Commands the inborn elemental power

Mechanical Changes: Wizard:
Diesn't cast spells, instead spells deal elemental damage=1d6/spell level. 0th give 1d4 damage. Reflex save for half. Can use spell in light armor. Gain light armor proficient, adn mdeium Bab, like rogue. Gain sorcerers weapon proficiencies.

I think this is underpowered. Even the Warlock gets other neat abilties. It is also very limited. perhaps the ability to rebuke elementals, and the ability to cast summoning spells?

Sravoff

First Post
Class #14 Summoner

this alternate will allow her summoned creatures to pummel any of their own kind.

Mechanical Changes: Wizard
Lose Bonus feats and scribe scroll. Must prepare one "summon" spell per spell level. Gains sopell focus(conjuration) as a bonus feat at first level. Gains Augument summoning as a bonus feat at second level. Every four levels past leel 2, her summoned creatures get an aditional +1 str and +1 con. At sixth level all "summon" spells are effected by the extend spel feat without their level being raised.

Remove ads