• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

101 Quick-n-Dirty Variant Classes (see post #1 for list!)

domino

First Post
Class #15

The Craven Minstrel

This class is skilled in using his charm and personality to trick people into lowering their defenses.

Mechanical Changes: Bard
Drop Bard spells and bardic music, gain Fighter BAB and Rogue Sneak Attack progression.

Last edited:

Sravoff

First Post
Reynard said:
I think this is underpowered. Even the Warlock gets other neat abilties. It is also very limited. perhaps the ability to rebuke elementals, and the ability to cast summoning spells?
Hhmmm... Yeah your right. command and rebuke right? That sounds good actually. Also use summone monster x to summone an elemental of the apropriate size for each spell level you ahve. Perhaps too many words now....

Doctor Shaft

First Post
Class # 3 Warrior Monk

This monk trains in weapons instead of fists.

Mechanicla changes: Monk:
Drop unarmed damage, gain martial weapon proficiency, At first level and every three after that the warrior monk designates one weapon with witch flurry of blows can be used.

Eh, it sounds good as it gets rid of the "I beat the dragon down with my barehands" aspect, but it also adds another can of worms.

A low level monk has a low level (1d6) damage output. Why wouldn't I just take Flurry of Blows proficiency with the biggest weapons? There'd be no point in not assigning myself Greatsword, then Greataxe, then something like two-handed morningstar or something to cover my damage types. All do tremendous amounts of damage early. About the only thing I'd lose is the coveted 2d10 damage in the highest progression.

And what about stunning fist?

:)

smootrk

First Post
It might be a good idea to edit your first post to include the latest (or otherwise final agreed upon) version of each of the new class ideas. I will surely bookmark this thread as a valuable tool with that done, so I don't have to read the entire thread to locate the optional variant that I need.

Sravoff

First Post
Class #16 Magician

This Wizard casts spells directly from his spell book without preparation.

Mechanical Changes: Wizard:
Add one spell per spell level. Drop bonus feats, not scribe scroll. Doesn't prepare spells, instead casts directly from spell book. All spells have thier casting time increased, except free action spells which the Talented Bookworm cannot learn. Standard action->fullround action->Happens at beginning of next turn->Happens at end of next turn (allows two Aoa from adjacent foes.). Using metamagic increases casting time by another step.

Can you tell I liek arcane? :p

Doctor Shaft: Good point......No idea how to fix, will edit and post as broken change, thanks!

smootrk: Good idea, I'll edit mine!

Sravoff

First Post
Class #17 Talented Book Worm

This sorcerer has learned to utilize the teachings of the arcane orders to increase his spellcasting power.

Mechanical Changes: Sorcerer:
Drop Spells known. Uses wizards spell book and mustr prepare as wizard. Starts play with five 0th level spells and one plus the averae of her Cha and Int bonus's. Gains one spell per level instead of two like the wizard. Metamagic functions same as wizard. Spell DC's run off average of Int bonus and Cha bonus.

Do I post too many? Should I slow down? Am I stealing thread? I hate to annoy and cause problems.

Sadrik

First Post
Adventurer

Rogue variant

Mechanics: Delete sneak attack, add all skills as class skills, gets 12 skill points per level. Gains skill focus: Use Magic Device at 1st level.

Eternalknight

First Post
#19 Horse Nomad
A ranger variant that rides the steepes.

Mechanical Changes:
Lose Combat Styles, instead gain Mounted Combat/Ride By Attack/Spirited Charge. Gain animal companion at 1st level (horse).

Sravoff

First Post
Class # 18 Woodland Defender

This Ranger is far more intuned with the natural world and its animal inhabitants.

Mechanical Changes: Ranger:
Lose Spells and favored Enemy. Gain animal campanion as druid. Gain a +1 to attack and damge rolls against al who threaten the forest. Commercial trappers, orcish loggers ect., not you average huntsman. Use Summon natures Ally as a spell lik ability usable equal to 1+wisdom modifier per day, or your Woodland Defender level, whichever is lower. Summon natures ally starts at Summon naturesally one at first level, increase to summone natures ally two at levle three adn increases again every two level after that. Untl it reaches summon natures ally nine at level 17.

Sorry that is a little long winded but I think it is short enough. The summon natures ally ability took mosst of it! :p Enjoy.

Sravoff

First Post
Eternalknight said:
#19 Horse Nomad
A ranger variant that rides the steepes.

Mechanical Changes:
Lose Combat Styles, instead gain Mounted Combat/Ride By Attack/Spirited Charge. Gain animal companion at 1st level (horse).
Is this horse campanion at full level, like druid?

Remove ads