13th Age Bestiary

Gamer XP

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for 13th Age Bestiary

This is a recommended purchase for anyone running a classic fantasy adventure game in any system. What you get is a well-written, beautifully illustrated campaign sourcebook organized around classic fantasy gaming monsters, all with a new, modern twist. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some campaign Fronts to ponder.

All in all the 13th Age Bestiary is a A+++ product. If you're even remotely into 13th Age you should get it. If you want a great read and don't mind extrapolating from the stat blocks for your preferred edition it might actually be worthwhile, although the Iconic elements of the 13th Age may require some consideration in other games.

Diehard GameFAN

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for 13th Age Bestiary

Overall, the 13th Age Bestiary is a fun but flawed piece. It’s a bit lacking in creatures, is certainly overpriced and the authors have the occasional attitude problem, but each entry is exceptionally in-depth, well written and it’s a fantastic addition to a one of the best new lines from 2013.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer

I remember when I first read the AD&D Monster Manual back in 1981 and how I was blown away by the world it revealed. That's the same reaction I had (and have) to this book. It's more than just a bestiary; it's full of the seeds to grow hundreds of campaigns.

MoutonRustique

Explorer

I've taken the time to really digest this book. I've read it at least three times from cover to cover and quite a few of the critters have seen me pour over them quite a few times.

The down side for me is the format (font choices, title spacing, "blank" space, etc) : it is ok. But I don't like it.

On the other hand:
1 - all the critters presented have a slew of information that is all potentially useful : adventure ideas, world building ideas, just a fun read, etc, etc. It is impressive.

2 - all the critters have a cool mechanical hook (or three!) and I've not seen one where the mechanics don't "jive" with the fluff. (As a counter example, the 5e ogre - out of the box, it can't do anything I imagine an ogre should be able to do; i.e. knock people around, throw huge objects, etc. As per the rules as presented, they don't have the tools to do any of that satisfactorily...)

3 - the art is slightly "toonish" (not in a silly way), and it also works well to show the critters. If "toonish" art is not for you, you might not like it, but the quality is there and the representations are excellent. I have another complaint here : the manticore shown is not the "main" manticore, but rather an "optional" variant. It looks really cool, but it's kind of strange to showcase that one...

4 - you get great tie-ins into the default political structure of the 13th Age world. All of it is easy to rework, and having it presented is a font of inspiration.

5 - interesting critter twists. Most "standard" monsters have already been presented, and all those presented here have something new to offer - there is no "plain-Jane" in this book.

Last edited:

stefam

First Post

I have a closet filled with Monster Manuals and various books of beasts. The 13th Age Bestiary is one of the best! I read through it like I read through my original AD&D Monster Manual or Legends and Lore book. The 13th Age take on the various baddies is bubbling over with origin stories, plot threads and even alternate or competing backstories for some of the monsters.And the D20 mechanic really shines with the various powers and abilities of the creatures presented. The simple stats hide multiple attack and defense options, nastier specials, and other oddities for your 13th Age game or for adoption into your current RPG. Highly recommended.

I love this thing! It's like they've done 70% of the work on making monsters and then said, "Here are some ideas for the other 30%, but you'll figure out what you like best." If monsters were recipes, this book would be every dish you could want with ideas for how to jazz your meal up with customizable options. Check this thing out--you will love it. While the stats are for 13th Age, 13th Age stats are simple and you can very easily use these things in any system.

Sizzlan

First Post

This Bestiary is hands down the most inspiring Bestiary for any D&D Variant on the market. It's impossible to read without hundreds of ideas popping up in your head to use the monsters in your adventures and campaigns. Moreover it even comes with a guide to quickly draw up the mechanics for your own monster or any monster you are missing from other f20 games. * * * * *

Remove ads