16th-level Monster Conversions

the Jester

Legend
LODESTONE BEAST

Lodestone beasts are strange monsters that appear to be made out of magnetic rock. Usually spiky and covered with wicked, rusty-looking barbs, lodestone beasts have an insatiable appetite for both flesh and metal, and are almost never encountered with any kind of treasure that they could eat.

LODESTONE MARAUDER--- Level 16 Controller
A lodestone marauder resembles a long-legged, fast-moving turtle of rusty iron-bearing ore. It is covered in ragged spikes, but these are more ornamental than they are dangerous. Lodestone marauders are simple-minded predators, but they are prone to preying on sentient creatures in order to obtain the metal they require for their diet.

Large aberrant magical beast--- XP 1400
---
Initiative +9; Senses Perception +9
HP 158; Bloodied 79
AC 30; Fortitude 30; Reflex 25; Will 25 (see also Magnetic Defense)
Speed 6, burrow 3, climb 4
---
[Melee basic] Bite (standard; at will): +20 vs. AC (+22 vs. metal-armored opponents); 1d10+7 damage (+2d6 with combat advantage).

[Close] Magnetic Attraction (minor; recharge 6) Magnetism: Creatures with no metal equipment (including coins) are immune. Close burst 4; +18 vs. Reflex; Hit: the target is pulled 3 and the lodestone marauder and its allies gain combat advantage against it until the end of its next turn; Miss: the target is pulled 1.

[Close] Magnetic Repulsion (minor; recharge 6) Magnetism: Creatures with no metal equipment (including coins) are immune. Close burst 4; +18 vs. Reflex; Hit: the target is pushed 3 and make a followup attack (+20 vs. Reflex; target is knocked prone); Miss: the target is pushed 1.

Magnetic Defense (immediate interrupt; when hit by an attack from a mostly metal source; at will) Magnetism: The lodestone marauder gains +4 to its defenses against the triggering attack.

Stable: Whenever an effect would push, pull or slide a lodestone marauder, the lodestone marauder may reduce the number of squares it is moved by 1.
---
Alignment unaligned; Languages -
Str 24; Dex 13; Wis 12
Con 22; Int 2; Cha 8

LODESTONE SERPENT--- Level 19 Soldier
A lodestone serpent is a monstrous creature that resembles a length of rusty cable as thick as a man’s torso and easily 20’ long when stretched out. Jagged rents in its body leave rusty-looking sharp edges poking out all over it. At one end, the lodestone serpent has a massive mouth that looks like it has been ripped haphazardly from a sheet of rent metal.

Large aberrant magical beast--- XP 2400
---
Initiative +14; Senses Perception +10
HP 182; Bloodied 91
AC 33; Fortitude 33; Reflex 30; Will 30
Resist lightning 10, weapons 5
Speed 6, burrow 3, climb 4
---
[Melee basic] Jagged Maw (standard; at will): +26 vs. AC; 1d12+7 damage and ongoing 10 damage (save ends).

[Melee] Ragged Seizure (standard; at will): +26 vs. AC; 1d12+7 damage and target is grabbed (escape at -2 ends).

[Melee] Rusty Coils (standard; only against a grabbed target; at will): +24 vs. Fortitude; 3d8+7 damage.

Magnetic Defense (immediate interrupt; when hit by an attack from a mostly metal source; at will) Magnetism: The lodestone serpent gains +4 to its defenses against the triggering attack.
---
Str 25; Dex 18; Wis 12
Con 22; Int 2; Cha 8

LODESTONE RENDER--- Level 25 Elite Brute
A lodestone render resembles a giant made of rocky ore and rusty metal blended together. Even without weapons or armor, a lodestone render is dangerous enough just with its jagged skin and its massive claws. Though smarter than most other lodestone beasts, a lodestone render is still much dumber than a typical human.

Huge aberrant humanoid--- XP 14,000
---
Initiative +14; Senses Perception +14
HP 570; Bloodied 285
AC 39; Fortitude 43; Reflex 33; Will 31
Saving Throws +2
Speed 8
Action Points 1
---
[Melee basic] Ripping Blow (standard; at will): Reach 2; +28 vs. AC; 2d10+11 damage, plus ongoing 5 (save ends).

[Melee] Mangling Blow (standard; at will): Reach 2; +28 vs. AC; 2d10+11 damage plus ongoing 5 (save ends) and target slides 1 square.

[Close] Magnetic Pulse (minor; recharge 4 5 6) Magnetism: Blast 3; creatures with no metal equipment (including coins) are immune; +24 vs. Fortitude; Hit: 3d6+9 damage, plus target is pushed 2; Miss: no damage, and target is pushed 1.

Magnetic Defense
(immediate interrupt; when hit by an attack from a mostly metal source; at will) Magnetism: The lodestone render gains +6 to its defenses against the triggering attack.

Snaring Barbs (free reaction; when hit by a melee attack; 1/round at will): The lodestone render makes an attack on the triggering creature: +28 vs. AC; 2d10+11 damage.
---
Str 32; Dex 14; Wis 15
Con 25; Int 4; Cha 12

the Jester

Legend
The remaining creatures at this level are hard work. :(

I'm working on the grisgol first- I plan on tweaking it from the 3e version by making it medium (more monsters are more fun to fight). I'm working on it right now; I suspect this is another creature that I'll make a good number of versions of by the time all is said and done; the "ten random spells" thing alone makes it a very customizable monster.

Frost giants- I need to give the 4e giants a thorough reading before I do these guys up.

And of course, the eye of the deep- but really, this entry could include an ass-ton of beholderkin. I might not do that simply because it's such an intimidating prospect- they might need their own posts on different levels.

Obergnom

First Post
Just to give you some feedback... I love your conversions, have used a huge number of them during my ongoing campaign (I guess about 10 different ones) and am looking forward to the Frost Giants since I found these threads... which was around level 5 or 6 or something... but don't feel rushed :D

the Jester

Legend
Jester, did you get the email I sent?

I hardly ever check my email, but I'll look for it now! :)

Obergnom said:
Just to give you some feedback... I love your conversions, have used a huge number of them during my ongoing campaign (I guess about 10 different ones) and am looking forward to the Frost Giants since I found these threads... which was around level 5 or 6 or something... but don't feel rushed

Awesome, what have you used? I love it when people get some use out of my stuff... :cool:

Obergnom

First Post
Hmm, I still remember using the bullywugs, giant frogs, tigers and all kinds of Derro. The Derro Raver are very powerful, btw. But were a fun fight.

the Jester

Legend
GRISGOL
A grisgol is a horrifying construct composed of broken and worn-out magic items, animated by a powerful spellcaster who has harnessed the spirit of a lich. Its skeleton is fabricated from old staves and wands and its skin from expended scrolls, old ritual books and rags of torn magical cloaks, scarves and other items. Within the creature are scores of half-empty potion vials, jars of unguents and so forth, vaguely resembling a set of internal organs. It typically wears a rune-scribed cloak or robe, and pinpoints of red light glare from beneath a tattered hood or battered helmet.

Nestled somewhere within the mess of the creature is the original lich’s phylactery. Destroying the grisgol allows the lich to reform in 1d10 days, unless its phylactery is also destroyed- a difficult task, since most adventurers won’t even know there is a phylactery (or a lich!) involved at all.

DUSTY GRISGOL--- Level 16 Soldier
Medium shadow humanoid (construct, undead)--- XP 1400
---
Initiative +10; Senses Perception +8
HP 152; Bloodied 76
AC 30; Fortitude 28; Reflex 26; Will 29
Resist arcane 5, necrotic 10; Vulnerable radiant 10
Speed 6
---
[Melee basic] Dusty Slam (standard; at will): +23 vs. AC; 2d6+4 damage and make a followup attack: +21 vs. Fortitude; Hit: target is dazed until the end of its next turn.

[Close] Waves of Weakness (standard; encounter) Necrotic: Blast 4; targets each living creature in blast; +19 vs. Fortitude; target is weakened (save ends).

[Close] Choking Dust
(immediate reaction; when hit by an attack; at will): Close burst 1; attacks each living creature in burst; +19 vs. Fortitude; Hit: target is dazed (save ends).
---
Str 18; Dex 10; Wis 11
Con 16; Int 5; Cha 11

CORDED GRISGOL--- Level 19 Controller
Medium shadow humanoid (construct, undead)--- XP 2400
---
Initiative +9; Senses Perception +9
HP 176; Bloodied 88
AC 31; Fortitude 29; Reflex 32; Will 32
Speed 6
---
[Melee basic] Whipping Cord (standard; at will): Reach 2; +24 vs. AC; 2d8+4 damage.

[Melee] Lash Legs (standard; at will): Reach 2; +23 vs. Reflex; 2d8+4 damage and target falls prone.

[Melee] Rope Hurl (standard; recharge 5 6): Reach 2; +23 vs. Reflex; 3d6+8 damage and target slides 4 and falls prone.

[Close] Hurricane of Lashes (standard; encounter): Close burst 2; attacks each creature in burst; +22 vs. AC; 4d12+4 damage.
---
Str 18; Dex 18; Wis 11
Con 16; Int 5; Cha 11

WAND GRISGOL--- Level 21 Controller
Medium shadow humanoid (construct, undead)--- XP 3200
---
Initiative +17; Senses Perception +10
HP 192; Bloodied 96
AC 35; Fortitude 33; Reflex 34; Will 33
Speed 6
---
[Melee basic] Dusty Slam (standard; at will): +25 vs. AC; 2d6+4 damage and make a followup attack: +24 vs. Fortitude; Hit: target is dazed until the end of its next turn.

[Ranged basic] Force Beam (standard; at will) Force: Range 12; +26 vs. Reflex; 2d6+7 force damage.

[Ranged] Heat Beam (standard; recharge 4 5) Fire: Range 16; +26 vs. Fortitude; 2d12+7 fire damage and target is slowed (save ends).

[Ranged] Bolt of Decrepitude (standard; recharge 6) Necrotic: Range 10; +26 vs. Fortitude; 3d10+7 necrotic damage plus ongoing 5 necrotic and target is weakened (save ends both).

[Close] Retributive Strike (immediate reaction; when reduced to 0 hp) Fire, Force, Necrotic: Close burst 6; attacks each creature in burst; +24 vs. Reflex; Hit: 4d12+7 fire, force and necrotic damage, and target is pushed 3 and knocked prone; Miss: half damage, and target is pushed 1.
---
Str 18; Dex 24; Wis 11
Con 16; Int 5; Cha 11

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
Looks good, but I wanted to highlight an error:

[Melee basic] Dusty Slam (standard; at will): +25 vs. AC; 2d6+4 damage and make a followup attack: +x vs. Fortitude

Oh! They resist Arcane 5; that's a nice touch.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Good eye, thanks!

The grisgol varies pretty far from the formulae in some places. I'm getting more comfortable tweaking the basics as time goes on.

Resist arcane seemed appropriate for them... there are plenty of beasties with resist weapons, after all. I can totally envision some blasphemous entity with resist divine, too... ;)

the Jester

Legend
All right, I'm marking the frost giant off of my list until we see the MM2. It's almost certain to be in there, so it's silly for me to keep it on my list when I haven't even had time to work on this in a month and a half or something.

On that note, I'm going to take a crack at the eye of the deep tonight. We'll see if I can manage to get it finished! :)

Remove ads