• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1930's Pulp True20 Game

I'm interested. I'm on daily, and while not hugely into the pulp genre, am familiar with it.

Would you allow an adept? I have a character I played in a (Hero) pulp game that died years ago, that I'd like to reprise. (An American anthropologist who's travelled the world and been inducted into strange tribal secrets the world over, and become a bit of a shaman.)

What level would the game start at?

trilobite

Explorer
The Shadow said:
I'm interested. I'm on daily, and while not hugely into the pulp genre, am familiar with it.

Would you allow an adept? I have a character I played in a (Hero) pulp game that died years ago, that I'd like to reprise. (An American anthropologist who's travelled the world and been inducted into strange tribal secrets the world over, and become a bit of a shaman.)

What level would the game start at?

An anthropologist would fit perfectly into my plans. :cool:

A Adept would be fine though I need to go over the powers list and see if I have to limit any power choices. Something sutle would be great. No fireball throwing or anything like that.

I am thinking 6th or 7th level starting characters.

trilobite said:
An anthropologist would fit perfectly into my plans. :cool:

Serendipity strikes yet again. :)

A Adept would be fine though I need to go over the powers list and see if I have to limit any power choices. Something sutle would be great. No fireball throwing or anything like that.

You needn't worry. I was thinking of things like Scrying, Second Sight, maybe Object Reading, maybe Mind Reading if you're OK with that. (Probably not Mind Probe - it makes life too easy. :) Throwing fireballs is just not very shamanic.

In the original game, he had powers involving commanding spirits, but I don't know how deep you want to go into that kind of thing. If we took things down that route, he could have powers like Dominate that only work on spirits, not people.

I am thinking 6th or 7th level starting characters.

Perfect. Standard 6 points for abilities, or are you bumping it up?

Oh, another question: Are you using the standard Human background, or are you going to have "professional" backgrounds like those in Caliphate Nights?

trilobite

Explorer
The Shadow said:
You needn't worry. I was thinking of things like Scrying, Second Sight, maybe Object Reading, maybe Mind Reading if you're OK with that. (Probably not Mind Probe - it makes life too easy. :) Throwing fireballs is just not very shamanic.

In the original game, he had powers involving commanding spirits, but I don't know how deep you want to go into that kind of thing. If we took things down that route, he could have powers like Dominate that only work on spirits, not people.

Commanding spirits would be a good ability to have in this game.

The Shadow said:
Perfect. Standard 6 points for abilities, or are you bumping it up?

Let me look. I am thinking 6 or 7.

I might increase the amount of conviction that you begin the game with as well. I will get back with you on that.

Last edited:

trilobite

Explorer
The Shadow said:
Oh, another question: Are you using the standard Human background, or are you going to have "professional" backgrounds like those in Caliphate Nights?

I like the professional backgrounds. Let me work up some pulp professions or even better tell me what you would like and I will make them up for you.

trilobite said:
I like the professional backgrounds. Let me work up some pulp professions or even better tell me what you would like and I will make them up for you.

How's this:

---------------------------------
Two-Fisted Professor

Bonus Skills: Any two (scholarly) Knowledges or Language

Bonus Feats: Eidetic Memory, and either Canny Dodge or Wealthy

Favored Feats: Any two of Improvised Tools, Jack-of-All-Trades, Skill Mastery, or Well-Informed
---------------------------------

It was a little hard picking Favored Feats, as they're likely to be Experts anyway, but the Adept and Warrior ones didn't seem very appropriate. (Except maybe Seize Initiative, since they're quick on the uptake?) And I'm certainly open to anything you have to say about it.

Did you mean to say that the power of commanding spirits would be a good idea, or not a good idea? Your "Otherwise" makes me think perhaps the latter?

jezter6

Explorer
Two-Fisted Pilot

Bonus Skills: Pilot, Notice (got to be able to see them bad guys' airplanes coming at you)

Bonus Feats: Vehiclular Combat, Skill Focus (Pilot)

Favored Feats (edited): Jack of All Trades, Well informed

Last edited:

Jezter6: All three of your favored feats are General feats, which doens't make any sense. Favored feats have to be Adept, Expert, or Warrior feats; anyone can take a General feat with any role already.

Other than that, I think it looks great - though of course I'm not the Narrator! :)

A thought I just had: Maybe we should discuss mechanics-type stuff on the True20 forum, where we have so many people to help us out?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads