• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1930's Pulp True20 Game

jezter6

Explorer
My first attempts at a new background...failed miserably :p

I looked through the warrior feats...and I didn't see anything I thought was appropriate. Maybe Jack-of-all-Trades would be good for him as well.

Thought i'd try..hehe.

Hey trilobite, is this feat from the Caliphate Nights book acceptable?

Tales of the Caliphate Nights said:
Linguist (Expert)
Prerequisite: Speak 5 languages
You have a gift for languages. You suffer no penalty on interaction checks when the subject doesn’t speak the same language as you. You automatically understand dialects of any language you are trained in, though you must make a DC 10 Intelligence check to successfully communicate in the dialect. When you are confronted with an unknown language, make a DC 10 Intelligence check to understand the gist of what is said by one source; if you are trying to communicate in the unknown language, the DC is 15. If you can read and write 5 languages as well, this feat also applies to the written word. Note that you only learn the rough idea, not subtle nuances like hidden biases, poetry, or innuendo.

EDIT: And jezter - no, you didn't fail miserably, it looks good! Only the favored feats need fixing, and that's the least important part.

Last edited:

OK, I'm almost finished with my character. Do you want me to post it here, or send it to you privately, or what?

EDIT: Oh, and any final decision on level and ability points?

Last edited:

trilobite

Explorer
You can post him here if you want.

Ok here are some ground rules for character creation.

-Characters start at 6th level.
-7 Ability Points (Includes increase for 6th level)
-They get a bonus +1 Conviction.
-I am using Backgrounds so I can help you with that.

I am working on a couple of new feats and a few new uses for conviction. I will post them soon.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
I saw this post over at the True20 boards, and I want in! Besides, I've really wanted to play a game alongside The Shadow. My availability is limited (once every 2/3 days) however, so I'd like to play a sidekick. Perhaps the quirky Grease Monkey who fixes the air hero's planes?

Would this character concept work? I'm familiar with the pulp genre, but have no resources - any suggestions about free resources for making a Grease Monkey character?

trilobite

Explorer
Quickleaf said:
I saw this post over at the True20 boards, and I want in! Besides, I've really wanted to play a game alongside The Shadow. My availability is limited (once every 2/3 days) however, so I'd like to play a sidekick. Perhaps the quirky Grease Monkey who fixes the air hero's planes?

Would this character concept work? I'm familiar with the pulp genre, but have no resources - any suggestions about free resources for making a Grease Monkey character?

I Grease Monkey sidekick for the Air Hero would be great! I will post a Grease Monkey background sometimes today.

Now I just need someone to run a Nosey Dame Reporter or a Tough G-Man! :D

Last edited:

Dr. John Raven, Expert 2 / Adept 4

Core Ability: Expertise

Virtue: Determined
Vice: Arrogant (with a touch of Pedantic and Rude, too :)

Conviction: 6

Str: +0
Dex: +1
Con: +0
Int: +3
Wis: +1
Cha: +2

Combat Bonus: +3

Attack +4, Defense 17 (dodge), Toughness +0

Saves: Fort +1, Reflex +2, Will +6

Background: Two-Fisted Professor
Bonus Skills: Knowledge (Behavioral Sciences), Knowledge (History)
Bonus Feats: Canny Dodge, Eidetic Memory
Favored Feats: Skill Mastery, Well-Informed

Skills:

Bluff +11 (9 ranks)
Concentration +5 (4 ranks)
Diplomacy +11 (9 ranks)
Gather Information +11 (9 ranks)
Knowledge (Behavioral Sciences) +8 (5 ranks)
Knowledge (History) +8 (5 ranks)
Knowledge (Supernatural) +12 (9 ranks)
Knowledge (Theology and Philosophy) +8 (5 ranks)
Language (7 ranks)
Medicine +5 (4 ranks)
Notice +5 (4 ranks)
Perform (dance) +3 (1 rank)
Ride +2 (1 rank)
Search +7 (4 ranks)
Sense Motive +9 (7 ranks)
Sleight of Hand +5 (4 ranks)
Survival +5 (4 ranks)

Languages Known: English (native), Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Hawaiian, Hindi/Urdu, Japanese, Maori, Navajo, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog. (Also note the Linguist feat below. Dr. Raven is one of those stereotypical professors who speak every language everywhere. :) Honor may even force me to spend Conviction on Expertise to speak unknown languages for a scene.)

Feats:

Canny Dodge (Int)
Eidetic Memory
Fascinate (Diplomacy)
Firearms Training
Linguist
Second Chance (being possessed or mind-controlled)
Well-Informed

Powers (Int-based, all at rank 7):

Dominate (Spirits only, but Mind Touch is built in)
Scrying
Second Sight
Ward (hedges out spirits)

Dr. Raven is an anthropologist technically affiliated with the University of Arizona in Tuscon, but he is often absent on adventures that circumnavigate the globe, always searching out new "magical" knowledge. Starting with the Indian tribes of the American Southwest, he has branched out into innumerable cultures on every continent. A maverick in his field (who claims, among other things, that spirits and magic really exist), Doc Raven delights in being unconventional and mysteriously exotic, even a bit fashionably scandalous. For one thing, he wears his straight black hair long, flowing down to his waist. (He has a smidge of Navajo blood, but other than the hair, he could be from Nebraska by his looks.) Women often find him fascinating in an exotic way, but so far he isn't the type to settle down... and if he loves 'em before he leaves 'em, well, a gentleman never tells.

He has ideas about the rights of native peoples against commercial exploitation that some might think a shade pinko, and he professes to be unsure whether democracy, as good as it is in the US of A, is best for every culture on the planet - but woe betide the man who dares to question his identity as a patriotic, red-blooded American! Anyway, everybody is forced to admit that ol' Karl Marx didn't think much of shamanism.

Yes, Doc Raven (or often just "Raven" to his native pals) is a shaman - or claims to be. He's been inducted into more tribes and secret societies than you can shake a stick at. He seems to know more than he should, but any inquiry is liable to be met with a mysterious, silent smile or else a quip to the effect that "Nobody believes in that hocus-pocus mumbo-jumbo, right?" He takes crows and ravens very seriously as omens. [In fact, I seriously considered the Visions power, but wasn't sure if you wanted the headache, Trilobite.]

The Doc can hold his own in a fight, but he much prefers to talk people down. He doesn't look remotely Irish, but he's picked up the gift of gab from somewhere, that's for sure... In any language he can hold people spellbound - maybe literally.

Last edited:

trilobite

Explorer
The good Doctor looks GREAT!!! :)

Let's make your Mind Touch/Dominate power a two action ability. First Mind Touch and then Dominate.

trilobite said:
The good Doctor looks GREAT!!! :)

Glad you like him. :) BTW, I just changed "Bantu" to "Hausa", a widely-spoken West African language, as I remembered that "Bantu" is actually a language group - and that Swahili belongs to it.

Let's make your Mind Touch/Dominate power a two action ability. First Mind Touch and then Dominate.

Okie doke.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads