1st Edition Collector's Guide

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
A few interesting additions from the latest Dungeon and Dragon magazines, of all places.

In Dungeon #191, Rodney Thompson's article "Adapting 'The Lich Queen's Beloved'" has a section at the end where it talks about converting the adventure (originally from Dungeon #100 for v.3.5) to other editions. He then gives a full 1E stat block for Vlaakith, and abbreviated 1E stat blocks for the duthka'gith, tl'a'ikith, and kr'y'izoth. Some notes are then given for converting those to 2E.

Dragon #400 reprints several old Dragon articles in their entirety, each with a one-page lead-in which has someone discussing how the article has influenced them in some way. These old articles are:

"The Jester" by Roger Moore, Dragon #60
"Through the Looking Glass: Do It Yourself Dragons" by Ed Dobrianski, Dragon #153
"Tucker's Kobolds" by Roger E. Moore, Dragon #127
"The Meanest of Monsters" by Craig Kraus, Dragon #96
"Dragonchess" by Gary Gygax, Dragon #100
"The Nine Hells Parts 1 & 2" by Ed Greenwood, Dragon #75 and #76

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

You are missing D&D candy. Such a thing did exist; I got a box as a stocking stuffer when I was a child. Had a stat card for a Troglodyte on the back of the box (about the size of a playing card).

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan

You are missing D&D candy. Such a thing did exist; I got a box as a stocking stuffer when I was a child. Had a stat card for a Troglodyte on the back of the box (about the size of a playing card).
D&D Fantasy Candy wasn't Advanced Dungeons & Dragons merchandise, so it doesn't belong in the 1st Edition Collector's Guide. I haven't forgotten about the candy though, it'll pop up before I'm finished with the guides ;)

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
D&D Fantasy Candy wasn't Advanced Dungeons & Dragons merchandise, so it doesn't belong in the 1st Edition Collector's Guide. I haven't forgotten about the candy though, it'll pop up before I'm finished with the guides ;)

Hm, I could've sworn those were AD&D stats for the monsters on the back.

Good lord, that candy was made and marketed by a company called AMUROL. I don't know that I should've been eating something that sounds like it was made by a company that specialized in emetics...

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
A few interesting additions from the latest Dungeon and Dragon magazines, of all places.
Good catch -- thanks for reminding me about those articles. I've updated both the 1st Edition and 2nd Edition Collector's Guides with relevant notes.

grodog

Hero
Another good source is to browse through the NobleKnight catalog, showing In Stock Only unchecked: Role Playing Games from TSR

I've seen some AD&D pencils on eBay in the past year or so, too. Will have to see if I still have the auctions saved after I get my external HDs restored....

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Another good source is to browse through the NobleKnight catalog, showing In Stock Only unchecked: Role Playing Games from TSR

I've seen some AD&D pencils on eBay in the past year or so, too. Will have to see if I still have the auctions saved after I get my external HDs restored....
The AD&D pencils are news to me, but I have been using Noble Knight's catalog as one of my research sources. There are a number of "miscellaneous" D&D-related items that haven't been included in any of the Guides so far, but those will show up in either guide #19 or possibly #21, depending on whether or not #19 ends up being split into two.

Remove ads