1st Edition Collector's Guide

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Going through the release dates, I noticed that the A series appears to be out of order. Were A3 and A4 really released prior to A2 or is there a mix-up there?
Yes, I think the A series was released out of sequence.

The Acaeum notes that "[A2] was actually published a short while after module A3, due to each module in the series being treated as a separate project at TSR," but doesn't mention A4.

The US Copyright office lists the publication dates for A1-A3 as:

A1: 1980-10-14
A2: 1981-07-07
A3: 1981-05-04

It doesn't seem to have a record for A4, but ISBNdb.com does (here), and that says April 1981. That should give us this order:

A1: October 1980
A4: April 1981
A3: May 1981
A2: July 1981

For some reason I have A4 listed also with a May date. That probably means that when researching these I found another source which I trusted more than ISBNdb.com indicating May rather than April, but I can't support that right now :eek:

(Warning: One of the OAs was also released out of sequence.)

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I may have some new info to share on that front, since I just unpacked a stack of old TSR catalogs. Will sift through them and report back anything that looks useful.
Any help confirming, correcting or establishing release dates for the 1980s (and earlier) would be great :D

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Missing Minifigs D&D line of figures. The sculpts matched exactly the drawings from the Monster Manual for the Orcs, Gnolls, Kobolds and Hobgoblins. Near perfect copies! I loved those minis back in the day....

I think Greyhawk Grognard has links or images of them.
I haven't forgotten about those. ;) In my notes, I've included them in Guide #20 with some other miscellaneous stuff. Guide #20 is one of two I haven't finished yet :confused:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I think you missed the AD&D module, H4: Throne of Bloodstone, published in 1988.

It's actually a Forgotten Realms-branded module, so is in that guide. The other modules in the sequence weren't actually branded as Realms products, much as the early AD&D modules aren't branded as Greyhawk despite being in the setting.

WG4 isn't on the AD&D list either, due to being part of the "World of Greyhawk" line (although the module hasn't got the Greyhawk branding that was used for WG5 and onwards). It probably gave Ant a few anxious moments trying to work out where it went. :)

Cheers!

Mattachine

Adventurer
Ah, thanks.
Still, it brings up the question of classification. Classifying by branding is good, but what about including in both lists. If someone was looking for the H series, but had never heard of it before this list, then they might not ever find H4.

Remove ads