20 levels in 3 months? NOT THIS TIME!

S'mon

Legend
In my current tabletop game I've been using 1 real month = 1 game month, approx. We play typically twice a month, and a typical scenario takes 4 sessions, or 2 months real-time. So if it took a few days, I have an 8 week gap before the next adventure.

jbear

First Post
That was only half of it. Who can field an army for six years? And why would they bother? By the second winter I would think even the craziest warlord wants to go home.
Have you never heard of the Siege of Troy? The Siege lasted 9 years I seem to remember.

the Jester

Legend
That was only half of it. Who can field an army for six years? And why would they bother? By the second winter I would think even the craziest warlord wants to go home.

Oh, that's easy- this was the army of the Six-Fingered Hand, a collection of pretty much all of the classic humanoids (orcs, goblins, kobolds, gnolls, lizardfolk and ogres), which is crushing all of civilization imc. The city of Fandelose was a stubborn jewel of a prize- and the longer they held out, the more the enemy wanted to take it.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Oh, that's easy- this was the army of the Six-Fingered Hand, a collection of pretty much all of the classic humanoids (orcs, goblins, kobolds, gnolls, lizardfolk and ogres)
Ogres aren't humanoids. Shame on you. Your geek cred is suspended for 93 minutes. Go sit in the corner.

Zanticor

First Post
I think i leveled up my guys to level 17 in about 3 months of in game time (and three years real game time). This bugs me to no end and next campaign I'll try something a bit more realistic. Still it gives an explanation as to how they can now suddenly be dangerous enough to take on the aboleth city that has been around for ever. Those aboleth have seen it all! They are paranoid geniuses older then the rocks! How can they ever be caught offguard in the last stages of a master plan to take over the world, which took them millenia to come up with? It's just to forces of chaos working against them, which leveled up some bums to archmages in the span of a few months. For good messure I might trow in a pact with Graz'zt on the part of one of my PC's to ensure some believability. How do you level up that fast you ask? By someone ensuring level appropriate encounters all the way, which don't kill you (too much). That's what only Graz'zt (or the DM) can give you and no lawful aboleth can plan for.

Zanticor

Sytonis

First Post
The next campaign my group will play will be using 4e and will take part in the same campaign setting as our current one. It will likely be decades into the future post the end-war.

We had discussed time being more of a factor this time around, the current campaign's niche was 'staying in one geographical location' to see how ones actions changed things. The new campaign will continue this, but time will be more important.

To give us a framework, we've looked at the levels and approximated how long it could take to level, in game time.

Level Time
0 1 day (likely 1 set encounter)
1 1 week
10 5 Years
20 20 Years
30 50 Years

This is just a baseline, who knows how this may turn out. Open to numbers from anyone else and reasons for those numbers.

Sytonis

Remove ads