• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2009 Oscars

Mallus

Legend
I am irritated that...

... WALL-E isn't up for Best Picture. Or The Dark Knight.

... Let the Right One In isn't nominated at all.

... Synecdoche, New York isn't nominated for something (Best Screenplay? Art direction).

... Speed Racer isn't nominated for effects?!?! Hint: the effects work in it isn't just eye-candy, it includes some real innovations in how to tell stories using moving images.

They only thing I approve of is Robert Downey Jr.'s nod for Tropic Thunder.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I am irritated that...

... WALL-E isn't up for Best Picture. Or The Dark Knight.

... Let the Right One In isn't nominated at all.

... Synecdoche, New York isn't nominated for something (Best Screenplay? Art direction).

... Speed Racer isn't nominated for effects?!?! Hint: the effects work in it isn't just eye-candy, it includes some real innovations in how to tell stories using moving images.

They only thing I approve of is Robert Downey Jr.'s nod for Tropic Thunder.

Go see Slumdog Millionaire. You will probably appreciate it.

Mallus

Legend
Go see Slumdog Millionaire. You will probably appreciate it.
I edited my original post to say I was also glad Slumdog Millionaire did so well --I have seen it and think it's wonderful-- but ENWorld seems to have eaten my edit.

I'm also really impressed by Danny Boyle's range; old-fashioned science fiction, nouveau zombie film, heroin dramedy, and now Bollywood crowd-pleaser.

LightPhoenix

First Post
I don't think Dark Knight really deserved a Best Picture nomination. I was a pretty good action film, and Ledger was great - but Best Picture? Not even close.

With Wall-E, I think it's the case that they have to choose one of the Best Picture categories to apply for, and can't do the others. They're obviously going to take the category that's a lock to win. I would have liked to see them make a ballsy move and enter the Best Picture instead, but I can't fault them for the choice.

Krug

Newshound
An animated film is unlikely to get Best picture nomination. Too many actors/actresses on the voting committee would not vote for one.

Frankly though, I enjoyed Kung Fu Panda more than Wall-E. The latter half of Wall-E didn't work much for me, but the first half was brilliant.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
An animated film is unlikely to get Best picture nomination. Too many actors/actresses on the voting committee would not vote for one.

Its happened though. Bueaty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture and I think only lost because it was up against Oscar Mega-hit Silence of the Lambs.

Farganger

First Post
With Wall-E, I think it's the case that they have to choose one of the Best Picture categories to apply for, and can't do the others. They're obviously going to take the category that's a lock to win. I would have liked to see them make a ballsy move and enter the Best Picture instead, but I can't fault them for the choice.

I was a bit disappointed Wall-E didn't get a nomination for best picture, but this explanation makes good sense.

Remove ads