2010: Is it Dragonlance? (hint)

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
I agree it will be Dragonlance, based on the fact that Weis and Hickman will be participating in WotC seminars at GenCon Indy.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I agree it will be Dragonlance, based on the fact that Weis and Hickman will be participating in WotC seminars at GenCon Indy.

Well, that's a much stronger hint. I think that Darksun might have been more interesting, but we'll see what they'll be able to do.

Dausuul

Legend
Yick. I really, really hope it isn't Dragonlance. Especially given how thoroughly and repeatedly the novels have trashed the setting by this point. If it is Dragonlance, I hope it's a reboot to the start of Chronicles or Legends.

Dragonlance had some excellent novels, but I've never been sold on it as a setting for RPGs. Dark Sun had craptastic novels but it was an awesome setting.

Unfortunately, I can see how they might re-release Dragonlance in an effort to leverage the popularity of the novels... sigh.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
:shrug: If it is DL, their going to have a hard time wrenching it from its 1st-ed straightjackets to keep it faithful to the setting. We played the 3.x version recently, and all I could think of was "that's 1st ed thinking" all over the place. Too many straightjackets. If you though bashing FR to fit was bad (I don't; I think it had relatively few changes fundamentally other than the destruction of the weave---the jump in history is a wash for me), it'll likely take another Cataclysm (#4 now?) to get DL to fit.

So a 4E DL would be quite a departure from the original. Possibly not worth it.

Ktulu

First Post
Looks likely to be Dragonlance, imo.

PH3 has Minotaur as a playable race
Raistlin shows up in the Character Builder as a sample
the 25th anniversary of Dragonlance is right around the corner
A new draconian mini...

While it's not any sort of guarantee, I could see DL being the next setting. Doesn't really interest me, but I'd probably buy it before I'd buy Dark*Sun, so there is that.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Sounds like that's what it'll be. Huh. If it does turn out to be the case, I'm still going to be rather surprised given

A) the drama surrounding WotC cancelling 'Dragons of an Hourglass Mage', supposedly refusing the accept the completed manuscript, and then later bringing it back from cancellation to supposedly be released this August.

B) the FR treatment - will they greatly alter the setting and/or its history/lore to conform to 4e rules and 4e default flavor assumptions? Because DL has quite a number of unique restrictions and such that won't easily fit the 4e default, that everything to this point has been bent to accomodate. If Weiss and Hickman are involved though, they might have learned from 4e FR's reception, which will be blessedly good for fans of the setting.

We'll see. I've read all the Weiss and Hickman novels, and a few others, but otherwise never been too deeply into the setting itself, so not a hard core fan, and not a ton invested in the setting. Not sure how a possible reboot will go over, because that might risk novel line sales (likewise with any massive setting changes). This will be interesting.

And now, having said that, watch the 2010 setting be Mystara. ;)

Drkfathr1

First Post
yeah, I'm not sure how excited I'd be to see it in its 4E incarnation, considering how many times the setting has been re-molded by various "cataclysms", but all signs point to DL as the next setting.

Makes sense in a way though, it would explain why WoTC pulled the license back home, and of all the settings, I would bet DL is one of the top sellers, much moreso than Dark Sun, Mystara, or Spelljammer.

I wonder if we won't get the wierder settings like DS or SJ until late in the edition cycle?

Remove ads