2010: Is it Dragonlance? (hint)

Cam Banks

Adventurer
I stand corrected! :)
Well, we've had civilized minotaurs in D&D since Dragonlance, so not sure what yer getting at? :) And lots of folk homebrewed "civilized" minotaurs before or after that.
3rd ed screwed up minotaurs and some other races with the horrible racial hit dice and ECL stuff, ick. (The racial hit dice in particular was bad.)

I'm not talking about Savage Species minotaurs. Our Dragonlance minotaurs were a +0 ECL race. Pushed the envelope a little, but it was there.

What I was getting at is that having minotaurs provided in the PHB3 is not an indication that suddenly 4E is into the civilized minotaur schtick. They have had that in play since the MM came out with 4E's release. It's something they want to put up front now for minotaurs, as opposed to treating them like monsters in previous edition core rules.

Cheers,
Cam

If we break down darksun here is what matters:

1)Post apocolptic dessert/Survival setting with harsh enviorments...

2) Dragon king/tryants ruleing over small city states

I bet 1 paragraph per race would be all the modfiers needed...and plat is not a no go, it is just rare as heck...

You missed out slavery in #1 as part of the "harshness" of it.
and most importantly:

#3) Psionics!
Dark Sun from the start, had psionics at it's core, which is unique in D&D.
Since PHb3 adds the psionic power source and we know that for fact...

Only Planescape and Spelljammer had otherwise much to do with psionics, as far as settings go, and that's mosly due to mindflayers (major faction in Spelljammer as enemies and merchants, and to a lesser extent in Planescape) and a few other creatures like githzerai.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
You missed out slavery in #1 as part of the "harshness" of it.
and most importantly:

#3) Psionics!
Dark Sun from the start, had psionics at it's core, which is unique in D&D.
Since PHb3 adds the psionic power source and we know that for fact...

Only Planescape and Spelljammer had otherwise much to do with psionics, as far as settings go, and that's mosly due to mindflayers (major faction in Spelljammer as enemies and merchants, and to a lesser extent in Planescape) and a few other creatures like githzerai.

Eberron has psionics too :p

Phaezen

First Post
To add fuel to the Dragonlance fire, todays playtest - Volcanic Dragons remind me alot of the Chaos Dragons for the Chaos War.....

Aloïsius

First Post
I'm NOT interested in Dragonlance (we already have two standard vanilla fantasy setting...). I would buy a 4e Dark Sun as soon as I can (and I would probably run it without modifications, something I won't do with "standard" 4e).
All the polls I saw on internet showed that Dark Sun lead by a wide margin. It's tied with psionic, who will be out with PHB3.

So, I will be absolutely disappointed if Dragonlance comes in 2010 and not Dark Sun. :eek:

Phaezen

First Post
I'm NOT interested in Dragonlance (we already have two standard vanilla fantasy setting...). I would buy a 4e Dark Sun as soon as I can (and I would probably run it without modifications, something I won't do with "standard" 4e).
All the polls I saw on internet showed that Dark Sun lead by a wide margin. It's tied with psionic, who will be out with PHB3.

So, I will be absolutely disappointed if Dragonlance comes in 2010 and not Dark Sun. :eek:

This.

What I am hopeing for is some ind of announce ment that WOTC will be doing Dark SUn and Weis and Hickmans company will be doing Dragonlance, with some support from DDI. Everyone happy :D

vagabundo

Adventurer
I stand corrected! :)

-Dragonborn, well folk say they can be dray, but dray are a bit different (design and looks as athasian dragons are lithe and almost serpentine) and and are the madly devoted servants of their mad wanna-be-god sorceror-king-part-dragon-undead, Dregoth. Ordinary folk fear dragonic things with damn good reason, the Dragon of Tyr could eat the tarrasque for breakfast! So something good would need ot be created for them. Maybe a re-working of the first dray, who Dregoth found repulsive and abandoned? That could work as they are less zealous and more normal in power.

I've always wondered what this creature was:

eg7s08.jpg

Looks very Dragon-borny to me..

More fuel for the Dragonlance fire is that there is a comp to find the most Fanatical Dragonlancer and he will win a trip to Gen-Con. hmmm..

Eberron has psionics too :p

Ah, true, sorry! :) Kalashtar vs Inspired.

Vaganundo,
that fellow is actually an elf...or was an elf, until he encountered the "Pristine Tower". Now he's something new and unique. He's "Magnus" iirc?

the official history (blech!) has it that the tower was part of..a plan to ...well I won't spoil it for you but it basically re-makes creatures into new, random forms. So passing creatures, heroes or whatever intrigued by the place get mutated into something different.
Thus Athas does have a place for almost any living race.

Since thri-kreen and half-giants are mentioned in the Eberron Player's guide, which I got on Saturday ;) Hey ....

Would be good if they did both Dark Sun and Dragonlance, but DL I think'd best be done as a module, novel, online presence, or something of that nature.
Tinker gnomes and kender are fun character races, as are Imperial minotaurs (I'd like a minotaur version without Baphomet and charging / headbutting as their schtick!).
But the setting would need a massive re-write to give it "Oomph" and fix all the mess done by multiple catastrophic wars/changes etc....sort of like what they did to 4th ed Forgotten Relams but in reverse! :devil:

ki11erDM

Explorer
Steve Austin, swordsman. A man barely alive.
"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the alchemy.
We have the capability to build the world's first alchemic man.
Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before.
Better, stronger, faster."

That sounds like a great backstory for a warforged added as an exception in a world without warforged

Yea its not like DL has any story support for rebuilding people... who say got there arm cut off... : )

Remove ads