DDAL 2014 Character Options Will be Playable in AL After the 2024 Release

Remathilis

Legend
I don't play in AL and don't have a horse in the race, but it feels like kind of an odd choice:

Not really. They've said for a while now that the goal of backward's compatibility is that old options will be available until a newer version supersedes it. That's basically what happened with Volo and Tome of Foes when Monsters of the Multiverse came out, or how options in SCAG were overwritten by reprints in Tasha's.

Eventually we may see new versions of the Eberron or M:TG species and updated versions of Xanathar and Tasha subs, but until then the old ones are fine.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I don't play in AL and don't have a horse in the race, but it feels like kind of an odd choice:

It isn’t surprising at all. Why would options from within the same edition not be legal?
I just feel bad for the poor kid who, as a first time player, wants to roll up and play a ranger.
Eh it’s a fun class even in the phb. They’ll be fine.

jgsugden

Legend
I'm betting they'll soon implement a "no new PCs under the old rules", and then eventually phase out the old PCs after people have had a chance to run them for a bit and we start to see them represent a real minority in the sessions.

Remove ads