• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 2024 Core rule book changes

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It really varies. I've had dozens of different DMs in AL* and DMed for dozens, likely hundreds of different players over the years. It's a great way to see how other DMs do things and to hone DMing skills.

I still prefer home games, even if some of the best gaming experiences I've ever had were AL games during large scale play interactives. There's something about a convention hall room of people working towards the same goal that you just don't get elsewhere.

*and versions from previous editions including LFR, LG, LC
The convention hall experience can just be an orchestrated event, it doesn't have to be part of a monolithic organization.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
How do you figure it’s threatening that?
I'm not sure "threatening" is quite the right word, but one important concept that sit-down-anywhere organized play rather strongly discourages is the whole idea of homebrewing, kitbashing, and-or tweaking anything about the game.

If I'm an AL DM I have to run the game exactly as it's written, even if I see glaring problems with it that I could houserule-fix on a whim; and I have to include whatever supplements WotC tells me to even if I don't want to. If I'm an AL player I have no choice but play within the confines of what's written, and also am probably expected to keep up with all the supplements so I know what's "legal".

And these issues ain't new: RPGA play in 1983 was just the same, and even back then there was a clear conflict between the "everyone must play the same" and "the game is yours to modify as you will" camps.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Ugh. I see no purpose to AL play. If you want to run in public for strangers, just advertise at your LGS or school and do it. The organization is pointless.
A lot of people like it and find it's their only exposure to D&D and opportunity to play. I get it's not for you, but to dismiss it as not for anyone is...odd. [Edit - Sorry, let's get back on topic]

Last edited:

Remove ads