• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 2024 Core rule book changes

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If we assume that the 144 backgrounds will be reflected in 12 background archetypes that are modified for each of the 12 classes, what might those 12 types be? My thought

Laborer
Outlaw
Soldier
Nobel
Scholar
Nomad
Artisan
Farmer
Hunter
Performer
Official
Traveler

I think this covers most of the 'job' types of a Renaissance level society. Might be some unneeded overlap, and maybe I'm missing something else that would be needed?
Think less pre-programmed Background, think more 1st Level Feat.

OB1

Jedi Master
Think less pre-programmed Background, think more 1st Level Feat.
Right, I'm saying there are 12 versions of the Laborer or Scholar with different Stat/Feat combinations that lean into different classes while sharing a bit of story. You had your pre-adventuring 'job' where you picked up certain skills en route to your class.

So a Wizard with the Soldier background perhaps got Magic Initiate as a feat and an Intelligence bump, where as a Fighter got Crusher and a Strength bump. They both had the shared experience of being in an army.

renbot

Adventurer
It really varies. I've had dozens of different DMs in AL* and DMed for dozens, likely hundreds of different players over the years. It's a great way to see how other DMs do things and to hone DMing skills.

I still prefer home games, even if some of the best gaming experiences I've ever had were AL games during large scale play interactives. There's something about a convention hall room of people working towards the same goal that you just don't get elsewhere.

*and versions from previous editions including LFR, LG, LC
Some of my best gaming memories are running the intro Eberron module "Reflections of the Multiverse" 10 times at GenCon. Including for some WotC designers (not to name drop, and tbh I didn't know who they were at the time).

But 144 seems a huge number for backgrounds. Is it a typo, or maybe a two stage thing where each background has two steps with 12 choices each?
After reading the article itself, I don't think it is 144 different backgrounds.

I think it is 9 races and 16 backgrounds can be combined to make 144 different "character origins" Below is the relevant text.

And, when you do decide to make that first character, you’ll have more choices than ever before, thanks to more than 144 options for your character’s background. Whether they started life as a soldier or a scholar will also be more important than it was in 2014. That’s because the new Player’s Handbook (2024) will offload important features like ability score improvements, first-level feats, and more from your character’s biological roots to their cultural and socioeconomic roots — similar to what was proposed as a new, optional rule in Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything.​
“The ‘character origins’ chapter will also include guidance on alignment [and] languages,” said game design architect Jeremy Crawford. “But the focus is on species [formerly called race] and backgrounds. How we are framing it — and this is really building on work we did in Tasha’s Cauldron of Everythingis taking those two components of the character [and] combining them to create a glimpse of who their character was before they became an adventurer.”​

I think they want to frame being a human noble as a different character origin than being a dwarven noble. And I'm fine with that for the PH.

Incenjucar

Legend
This 144 thing is on its way to becoming a meme, and is a great example of annoying marketing. At least they didn't multiply the number by alignments and eye colors.

This 144 thing is on its way to becoming a meme, and is a great example of annoying marketing. At least they didn't multiply the number by alignments and eye colors.
Because there is a difference...

One has game play relevance, one has not...

144 different backgrounds is not wrong. It is not even marketing speach. It is basic math. Maybe it was the writer of the article who condensed: 144 combinations of background and species to 144 backgrounds.

I for one see species as part of my background. Because that is a constant which does not change during gameplay.

OB1

Jedi Master
Because there is a difference...

One has game play relevance, one has not...

144 different backgrounds is not wrong. It is not even marketing speach. It is basic math. Maybe it was the writer of the article who condensed: 144 combinations of background and species to 144 backgrounds.

I for one see species as part of my background. Because that is a constant which does not change during gameplay.
Ha, 16 backgrounds with 9 species is a much cleaner way to get there than what I was thinking. I'm sure this is right.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Mixed heritage is still a thing, it's just not limited to half orcs and half elves.
It is just deprived of any mechanical meaning and any lore codification. Nothing against opening all combinations, but by taking away defaults there is nothing to latch on, so they have removed it in any way that matters.

Remove ads