• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.0] Quicken Spell and Sorcerers

Hida Bukkorosu

First Post
OK, Sorcerers require a full round to cast a 1-action spell that's been metamagiced - but the Quicken spell feat reduces a spell to a free action - which of these effects takes priority, can i cast an Energy Substituted spell as a free action if I also Quicken it if I'm a sorcerer?

The fact that it takes longer to cast a metamagic spell takes priority. This means that you can't use Quicken at all as a sorcerer (unless you have the Arcane Preparation feat).

Kae'Yoss

First Post
What he said. This wasn't spelled out in the 3.0 core rules, but was later clarified (they explicitly stated it at the description of the shugenja, for example). And the revision makes it totally official.

You could use the house rule that wizards can learn spells that are automatically altered with a metamagic feat. For example, you have quickened magic missile as one of your 5th-level spells (using up one of your 5th-level spells known).

You may even talk your DM into allowing spontaneous casters to use quicken spell as a house rule.

Remove ads