• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3.0 Shapechange

Vraister

First Post
Hey,
my druid just turned level 17 and know I'm wondering what the best forms for shapechange are.

As we are playing 3.0 I'm looking for:
- form with high AC (nat+dex)
- high SR
- good elemental immunities
- fast healing
- good natural attacks
- and a combination of the above

Thanks
Vraister

TheBadElf

First Post
I loved Shapechange before it got nerfed in 3.5. My epic Druid was the Scourge of Evil (tm) with that spell.

You can't go wrong with dragons, especially since you can shift to adapt to the situation at hand. My favorite was Gold, although I had some good moments with Brown.

However, the very best form I ever found for Shapechange (since you get extraordinary and supernatural abilities) is the Chronotyryn from Fiend Folio. I don't have the 3.5 conversion on hand to look up the exact current numbers, but you get high Str and Con, flight, darkvision, sonic immunity, resistance to all the other elemental damage forms , a couple of amusing natural attacks, sweet AC from a +5 dex bonus and +22 natural armor, Detect Magic at will, the ability to make any Knowledge check as if you have a minimum of 10 ranks in the skill, The very best part, though, is the ability to take two rounds worth of actions every single round. Yeah, that's right. Two spells a round, four if you have some Quickened stuff loaded.

My DM hated me for digging this one up. The Chronotyryn is very possibly the most broken peice of brokenness in the game when it comes th Shapechange. It rocks!

Horizon

First Post
Actually I don't think a dragon is an Animal, so you wouldn't be able to wildshape into a dragon. Very possibly the Chronotyryn is an unnatural animal too, so no go in that case too. [Just looked it up. Yep, it's a Magical Beast, so that's no go].

To quote the 3.0 rules: "The creatures available include some giant animals but not unnatural beasts. The druid may wild shape into a dog or a giant lizard, for example, but not an owlbear."

Even an owlbear is out of the question, so anything like dragons or Chronotyryn is far beyond. You CAN however change into an elemental once per day, Small, Medium or Large Air, Earth, Fire or Water. So just take your pick of those. They haven't got SR or even great AC, but they do have damage reduction 10/+1 (the large ones at least).

Vraister

First Post
I think you mix up 3.0 and 3.5. In 3.0 you only get the extraordinary abilities and not the supernatural ones. But nevertheless the Chronotyryn is still fun.

For the dragon: Is there a HD cap in shapechange? It refers to Polymorph other which as one.

Vraister

First Post
Horizon said:
Actually I don't think a dragon is an Animal, so you wouldn't be able to wildshape into a dragon. Very possibly the Chronotyryn is an unnatural animal too, so no go in that case too. [Just looked it up. Yep, it's a Magical Beast, so that's no go].
I'm not looking for Wild Shape forms but for Shapechange (9lvl spell) forms.

TheBadElf

First Post
Horizon, I believe he's talking about the 9th level spell Shapechange, not the druid's Wildshape ability. Shapechange lets you change into pretty much anything other than unique creatures like Pazuzu or the Tarrasque.

And Vraister is correct - I mixed up the 3.0 and 3.5 versions. It's still a darn good defensive form without the supernatural abilities, though, and if you can convince your DM to go 3.5 and then "forget" to tell him about the Shapechange errata you'll be the baddest mofo in the Prime Material.

No that I would ever do something like "forget" errata... :D

noeuphoria

First Post
Since you're playing 3.0, shapechange is even more godly (I still think it's a great spell in 3.5, even with the HD nerf). If your DM lets you cherry-pick monsters from any book, the chronotyn is pretty uber. Also, solars have high stats, good regen, DR, and SR, and since they're humanoid, all your gear goes with you. Beholder is also good, get an antimagic cone and 10 eye rays. Personally, combat wise, I like Pit Fields, because they have great stats, regen, DR, resistances, and 5 natural attacks you can still use, as opposed to solar or balor where you're just making slams b/c you don't get their weapons. Iron Golem is a good standby for good DR and magic immunity, just remember since it's a construct your HP are going to be low. I also like the inevitables, the marut has fast healing, good DR, high str, and some sweet abilities on his attacks, whereas the kolyarut has enervation and vampiric touch as supernatural abilities. Lastly, since you can do double your HD, big dragons are always nice for breath weapon, high str, and a whole slew of natural attacks. Just make sure you already have stats for monster you change into, or it bogs down combat.

Vraister

First Post
I had a look at my MM today and here is my little list. I include only monsters with no more than 17HD.

My top choice will be Planetar. Good AC, high SR(30), lots of immunities and regeneration. And my group had contact to a Planetar a couple of times.

Other good choices include Minotaur to get out of a Maze spell, Xorn to burrow through all kinds of rock and golems for the magic immunity.

I also like the Hydra. Does anybody know if there breath weapon is Ex or Su?

Vraister

Turhan

First Post
Hey folks, I'm needing some druid info.

Looks like I found a good trhead to post in. Thanks in advance for any help or info.

When a druid does the wild shape thing and becomes a regular animal per the 3.5 rules, they get all the benefits of being the animal and some handicaps- like AC. Do they get to use the benfits of a ring of protection, cloak of resistance, or periapt of proof against poison? Do any magic items continue to act on their body once it switches from human to animal?

My first impression was that if you can't use a thing in your hands when you wild shape, then you probably can't use all the other stuff you lug around or wear (based on teh PHB 3.5 part on wild shape).

One of my players is a bit disgruntled over this, so I really need an answer or an explanation I can take to him without seeming to Rule of the Day-ish. (He's not happy that he bought 3.0 books 2 years back and then 3.5 came out.)

- Steve the DM

Remove ads