D&D 3E/3.5 3.0 third party books

Voadam

Legend
I'd strongly recommend Green Ronin's 3rd Era PDF Mega-Bundle (affiliate link). It has some 3.5 stuff too, but you're also getting incredible 3.0 books like Plot & Poison: A Guidebook to Drow, Freeport: City of Adventure, Testament: Role-Playing in the Biblical Era, and quite a few more. They even included the old web enhancements from their website!
I will second this.

The original 3.0 Death in Freeport and trilogy is great. As are the 3.0 Legions of Hell and Hordes of the Abyss.

Green Ronin put out a lot of great DM 3.0 material.

Greg K

Legend
The original 3.0 Death in Freeport and trilogy is great. As are the 3.0 Legions of Hell and Hordes of the Abyss.
These are all great. For @Bestbake , Legions of Hell: Book of Fiends #1 and Hordes of the Abyss: Book of Fiends #2 were released individually for 3.0. They were updated and compiled for 3.5 in Book of Fiends which also includes, essenentially, a third volume not released under 3.0.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'll note that Legions of Hell and Armies of the Abyss actually aren't in this bundle. The 3.5 Book of Fiends is, which as @Greg K noted also had what was basically a third book built in, but you won't find the 3.0 versions of the first two in there.

Voadam

Legend
I'd like to recommend Nyambe: African Adventures, and not just because I'm one of the contributing authors. :cool:
I'll second this as well. Fantasy D&D Africa with neat ancient orc and serpent people type history. I combined it with Golarion's Garund for my homebrew mashup world's southern continent.

In a similar vein I was a contributor on Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary and recommend it, good narratively fleshed out monsters with hooks. I used a number of monsters from this in my own games, both my creations and others. Unfortunately Atlas Games penumbra line is not part of the sale.

I have also used monsters from Creature Collection II (I think the first Creature Collection is only available in PDF in the revised 3.5 version) Tome of Horrors both of which are on sale.

I believe the Divine and the Defeated is 3.0 and I enjoy the Scarred Lands Pantheon. On the player end I used some spells from Relics and Rituals and their ritual system is pretty decent.

I thought the 3.0 Ravenloft Campaign Setting was really well done, particularly the whole setting portion of the book being completely PC appropriate to read was fantastic, just a few monster template stuff at the back was DM only type of information. Their 3.0 monster book is pretty good too, I believe it is the Denizens of Darkness one, although the art is hit or miss for me.

I played a race from Fantasy Flight Games' 3.0 Mythic Races and it was a lot of fun (the beings of light ones Illumians or something). It is cheap, but not on sale right now. :)

The Foul Locales line of short adventure themed slightly horror adventure anthologies from Samurai Sheepdog was pretty good. And cheap and on sale. :)

Eden Studios has a couple themed anthologies of short adventures in their Eden Odyssey line to weave through a campaign which I thought were nice and considered using.

Bestbake

Villager
Ah, thanks for going over those books, Alzrius.

I agree TerraDave, there's some wild ups and downs with what was released for the edition. I remember reading through the Power Class series by Mongoose and being completely enthralled, but looking at them now is a pretty funny mess.
And as Celebrim recommends too, their Book of the Planes is a very cool book, that is actually one I was reading through not too long ago. I completely blanked on Ravenloft books for 3e though, I'll need to check those out too.

How is Arcana Unearthed? As an alternative player's handbook does it change up many of the rules, or does it mostly add in new "stuff" like races, classes, and feats?
I've found that I quite like things that Monte Cook puts his name on. Most of what I've seen from Malhavoc has been fun.

Remove ads