D&D 3E/3.5 3.0 third party books

Bestbake

Villager
Awesome, yes, thank you Voadam for the suggestions. Those monster supplements will be great. And good call on Rokugan too, I'll keep an eye on those.
I do have mythic races luckily, that's a fun book. One of my players was a rhonian gunner/marksman type in a Spelljammer game, very cool and quirky.
Fantasy Flight also did the Legends & Lairs series, right? They're probably worth looking into.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Can't access my books right now (my daughter's room is also the library), but some of my favorites are From Stone to Steel, the Book of the Righteous, Secret College of Necromancy, the licensed Dragonlance and Ravenloft books, and AEG's Ultimate Toolbox. There are many more.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I saw the preview and thought and it looked impressive. I gave up trying to find a copy at a reasonable price.
It's super weird to me that Human Head didn't throw the completed book (and free online supplemental stuff that supported it at the time) on DTRPG, but I'm guessing there are some sort of rights issues with the book.

It's not perfect, by any means, but it's a much better wizard school, sadly, than Strixhaven, so worth hunting down in some fashion.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
In a similar vein I was a contributor on Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary and recommend it, good narratively fleshed out monsters with hooks. I used a number of monsters from this in my own games, both my creations and others. Unfortunately Atlas Games penumbra line is not part of the sale.
This is a great book full of really cool monsters. The Penumbra line's maximalist page design makes it a little harder to read than it ought to be, IMO, but a lot of 3.0 books suffer from that. Privateer Press' Monsternomicon, for instance, which is often described as one of the best monster books of all time, has layout and presentation that must drive professional page designers to drink.

GreyLord

Legend
Not sure if they are available anywhere these days, but ones that I like are...

Not 3rd party per se, but relavant to what is listed after

Diablo II: Diablerie
Diablo II: to Hell and Back

These are official 3.X books that actually take your character to level 25.

Sword and Sorcery Advanced Players Guide - It uses an extrapolation of the Diablo II books for advancement of characters beyond level 20.

I actually prefer this advancement for high level characters as it is a logical progression of what came previously, it doesn't give your players even MORE super powers, and to me is easier to use than the Epic Level Handbook.

I also like the Blackmoor campaign setting as well as the Midnight campaign setting for 3.X and use them occasionally (or have in the past, have not used them recently).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Used copies of the Advanced Players Guide are still out there, but it doesn't look like it's available, legally, in digital format any more, sadly.

Amazon

Noble Knight
I'm a little surprised; there are quite a few old products that don't have digital copies legally available, but in most cases it's because the publishers either closed up shop or because there was a rights/licensing issue (presumably the latter for Redhurst, which I'm so glad I bought when it came out). Neither is the case here (Onyx Path Publishing now has most of the old Sword & Sorcery Studios stuff up on DTRPG), and I never would have guessed that the SSS APG isn't available.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Frankly, just about anything by Malhavoc Press is worth buying for 3.x. The Books of Might (Iron, Eldritch, Divine...) are especially good.

Mongoose's Ultimate Equipment Guide (both 1&2) is a bright spot in their catalog - LOTS of mundane/non-magical stuff, which is always fun. They have other bright spots, but their quality is uneven.

The Creature Collections & Tome of Horrors are great, I can confirm their recommendations.

If you like Psionics, Dreamscarred Press's lines are almost a necessity.

Remove ads