D&D 3E/3.5 3.0 third party books

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Honestly, these days I mix 3.0, 3.5, Pathfinder 1E, and even d20 Modern fairly frequently. The systems are so similar that it's easy to smooth over the rough spots, and the sheer multiplicity of third-party stuff out there means that there's something for whatever I could want; having spent over two decades picking up an insane amount of books (in print and PDF), I can make virtually anything now, and it's a lot of fun doing so.

The biggest problem is remembering what I have, and where it is!

rgard

Adventurer
I'd strongly recommend Green Ronin's 3rd Era PDF Mega-Bundle (affiliate link). It has some 3.5 stuff too, but you're also getting incredible 3.0 books like Plot & Poison: A Guidebook to Drow, Freeport: City of Adventure, Testament: Role-Playing in the Biblical Era, and quite a few more. They even included the old web enhancements from their website!
Hear, hear!!!

Greg K

Legend
Wow, you are right.
I did know that the Skirmisher stuff was 3.5 as well as a few other items. I also did start to note in a prior post that there were some were 3.5 updates (e.g. Experts) or compilations and updates (e.g. Behind the Spells*, Book of Fiends), I deleted that before posting after going back and forth multiple times.

There are, however, a lot more 3.5 products on my list than I realized. I was sure that Poisoncraft (2004) was 3.0. As for the Blackdyrge templates and Master at Arms, I was surprised that they came out much later than I recalled.

Green Ronin's Psychic's Handbook is in a weird place. It came out at the beginning of 2004 and the earliest review of which I am aware came out in February of that year. However, it attributes the 2000-2003 SRD which I think makes it a 3.0 product as all of the 3.5 book came out in 2003 (edit: it is 3.5)

* The Behind the Spells series was being published by Ronin Arts in 2005. Another one that I thought started earlier than it did

rgard

Adventurer
As I have material in this, I will co-sign everyone getting this book. ;)

(I don't get any piece of this -- it's not set up for profit-sharing among the dozens of contributors, although I suspect that only means I've lost out on about $1.50 in the past 20 years.)
I know a guy, who knows a guy who is a great litigator...

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
By the by, one thing that I can't seem to find (that I remember) are rules (for any iteration of 3.X, d20 Modern, or PF1) for playing PCs who are animated objects. I don't mean androids or golems or anything that's basically Lieutenant-Commander Data in a fantasy setting. I mean like the Lumiere, Cogsworth, and the other castle staff from Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

Anyone know of a d20-based supplement that will let me play a sentient couch?

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
By the by, one thing that I can't seem to find (that I remember) are rules (for any iteration of 3.X, d20 Modern, or PF1) for playing PCs who are animated objects. I don't mean androids or golems or anything that's basically Lieutenant-Commander Data in a fantasy setting. I mean like the Lumiere, Cogsworth, and the other castle staff from Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

Eh. You could always just reflavor/reskin hobbits/halfings. :D :p

More seriously, the 3.0 Savage Species should have the tools for backgenerating a race from Animated Objects.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

I strongly suspect Level Up's currently Kickstarting planes-related book has such rules, but yeah, I don't recall anything similar for 3.x. That's a shame.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Eh. You could always just reflavor/reskin hobbits/halfings. :D :p
Yeah, but then my sentient couch would be more like a sentient footstool. And way too leathery. ;)
More seriously, the 3.0 Savage Species should have the tools for backgenerating a race from Animated Objects.
That could work, at least in theory; the issue is that a race of sentient objects would not only be different sizes, but also have different innate powers. Like a sentient candelabra would (to invoke Lumiere again) be able to do something like burning hands X number of times per day, whereas a sentient couch could let someone rest on it to recover twice as many hit points per night, etc. It's an issue of having to effectively build a new race every time...which is only to be expected. I just want to find that someone else has already done all the work involved.
I strongly suspect Level Up's currently Kickstarting planes-related book has such rules, but yeah, I don't recall anything similar for 3.x. That's a shame.
Given how much stuff is out there, I'm holding out hope that such rules already exist for 3.X/PF1/d20 Modern, and that I just haven't heard about them yet.

teitan

Legend
  • Adamant Entertainment
    • Corsairs
  • Alderac Entertainment (AEG)
    • Toolbox
    • Wilds
  • Avalanche Press
    • Noble Steeds
  • Bards and Sages
    • Koboldnomicon (pdf only)
    • Shark! (pdf only) (this is now free on Drivethrurpg)
    • Snakes! (pdf only) (this is now free on Drivethrurpg)
    • Spiders! (pdf only) (this is now free on Drivethrurpg)
  • Bastion Press
    • Alchemy & Herbalists
    • Fairies
  • Betabbunny
    • Bestiary: Predators (pdf only?)
  • Blackdirge Publishing
    • Blackdyrge Bargain Templates (a line of monster templatepdfs)
    • Blackdyrge Bargain Bestiaries
    • Blackdyrge Master at Arms (a line of fighter prc pdfs based around weapons)
  • Blue Devil Games
    • Poisoncraft
  • EN Publishing
    • Tournaments Taverns and Fairs
  • Fat Goblin Games/ Tricky Owlbear
    • Behind the Spells: Compendium
  • Green Ronin
    • Advanced Bestiary
    • Book of Fiends
    • Book of the Righteous
    • Master Class: Cavalier's Handbook
    • Master Class: Psychic's Handbook
    • Master Class: Shaman's Handbook
    • Master Class: Witch's Handbook
  • Malhavoc
    • Book of Iron Might
  • Monkey God Enterprises/ High Moon Games
    • From Stone to Steel
  • Silverthorne/Goodman Games
    • Deluxe Book of Templates Revised
  • Skirmisher Press
    • City Builder
    • Experts 3.5
    • Insults & Injuries
Some of these are 3.5 and 3e wasn't all that compatible with 3.5 when you looked at the math changes.

Remove ads