• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.5] Answering the Call

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"One more question? What happens when we defeat them? I don't think we would kill then even if it was probable, but what happens afterwards? Do then get punished? And in unlikely event they win, what happens to us? Are we then charged for false accusations?"

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
"If they lose," Curate Anselm says, "the mithral dagger will be confiscated and returned to its rightful owner. They will be exiled from Borderland Keep as well, under pain of imprisonment if found within three days ride of the keep. If they win, there are no consequences for you. You have brought the charge in good faith."

Rhun

First Post
Orinar nods. "Very good to know, indeed." The half-giant fiddles with a strap on one of his vambraces. "We should go and prepare."

Arkhandus

First Post
"Right. One hour. Thank you, Curate," Lars replies. He faces his comrades and says "Let's go rest and prepare."

He leads the others outside and says quietly after a short distance "I don't think they're truly terrible people, but there are villains among the dwarf's allies, and it speaks ill of him that he keeps such company. Still, we should prepare carefully and avoid slayin' them in combat. And hope that we're sufficiently skillful ourselves to stay alive. There's no telling how experienced they are, but at least I didn't sense a lifetime of wickedness in them, so I don't think they go around attacking random people to hone their skills. I'll face one of the dwarf's human allies, one of the twins, with Heironeous' blessings, then attempt to make the dwarf himself surrender. Choose your opponents, whoever is going to fight beside me. It might be helpful for someone to keep the dwarf busy until I've taken down one of his nastier comrades."

Rhun

First Post
"I will handle the dwarf then," responds Orinar. "I only hope we are up to the task. Be warned though, my blade is ill-suited to non-lethal combat. If the dwarf refuses to surrender, we may well have to kill him. And remember, he invoked this challenge. Whatever transpires this day, his fate can no longer be laid upon us."

OOC: Before the battle begins, Orinar will manifest Force Shield (+4 AC), and expend 2 power points to manifest Vigor (gaining him 10 temporary hit points).

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
[sblock=Rhun and Mark]Is Orinar 3rd-level? Can't spend more than your manifester level in power points on each manifestation.[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Little flashback:
Menno concentrates while parties go their separate ways, studying magic carried by dwarf's party.

He then turns to the curate:
"Can we buy spells from You? Not as scrolls or such, but single casting, just before combat? I mean from the Church, not necessarily You personally?"

To his companions, later:
"I don't think we should divide ourselves on one-by-one basis. We are stronger as a team. Even they may fight as a unit and without counting on one another we could loose. We don't know their exact capabilities, so we cannot even precisely match up. I suggest the following: my spells aren't really damage based, I could cast color spray over them and see who succumbs. Then I can grease the area under them or one weapon of choice. Or one of you can slide on the grease under their feet and end up close and personal with their caster. Anyhow, you two already know I can cast fire bolt essentially unlimited times and few other spells few times. We don't know yet what our new companion is capable of and we lost Kyl it seems."

Menno turns toward the gnome expecting some kind of reply...

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
Lars responds to Orinar with "Whatever happens, happens. The dwarf issued this challenge, and if he dies in battle, it is a risk he has knowingly taken."

At Menno's remark on tactics, Lars shakes his head. "This is a trial by combat, not trickery. Making them fall asleep with a trick will not resolve the challenge nor would it be honorable in this context. We fight today, that is that. I don't care if you blast them or stun them or weaken them, but don't rob them of the chance to fight honorably in this matter of justice. We'll fight them like men, not cowards. Save your sleeping magics for goblinoid scum and savage beasts."

Turning to the gnome, Lars asks "So, gnome, what are you planning to bring to this fight? It isn't really your fight, but you've volunteered anyway. Orinar and I will obviously make a frontal assault, while Menno fights from the second rank. Can you fend off others on the dwarf's team that may try to take out our spellcasting support?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads