• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3.5 leadership question: more than 1 cohort?

scott2978

First Post
Is there a feat in 3.5 that grants a PC a second Cohort if they already have the Leadership Feat?

Is there an easy way (feat etc) to increase your leadership score?

Does a magic item that grants an enhancement bonus to your Charisma also increase your leadership score?

Sekhmet

First Post
Not that I'm aware of (though you might look at the Thrallherd PrC in Expanded Psionics).
Any charisma modifier will help.
Yes, a magic item that enhances your Charisma will affect your Leadership score.

If you're interested in cohorts, the Thaumaturgist gets a Planar Cohort which is very effective.
Also, there is the Dreadmaster PrC (Faiths and Patheons) that offers several Leadership bonuses, a fanatical follower/cohort base, two unusual cohort, and full caster progression (Divine).

Last edited:

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Thrallherd psionic PrC gets 2 cohorts. You cannot take the Leadership feat and this PrC.

The Apprentice/Mentor feat from DMG II grants you a cohort seperate from Leadership feat, but at 4 or more levels below you.

Feats that grant Leadership bonuses and/or cohort options:
Ecclesiarch feat, Eberron campaign setting
Dragon Cohort feat, Draconomicon
Noble Born feat, Dragon Magazine 333
Undead Leadership feat, Libris Mortis
Extra Followers Feat, Heroes of Battle
Improved Cohort Feat, Heroes of Battle (and I think in other books as well)

Inspirational Leadership and PRacticed cohort feats, Heroes of Battle, grant bonuses for followers and cohorts

Epic Leadership and Great Charisma feats, Epic Level Handbook (Epicness being a prereq)

Last edited:

TBoarder

Explorer
Is there a feat in 3.5 that grants a PC a second Cohort if they already have the Leadership Feat?

Is there an easy way (feat etc) to increase your leadership score?

Does a magic item that grants an enhancement bonus to your Charisma also increase your leadership score?

VERY hidden tidbit on page 104 of the DMG... There is no limit to the number of cohorts a character can have. I don't *understand* this idea, considering how the number of followers you can have is very set, but it's right there, buried but plainly and deliberately written, 2nd paragraph in the Cohorts section.

Feats that increase leadership have already been given here...

In my particular campaign, we're given the option by the DM whether or not we wish our charisma affecting items to increase our leadership score. The crux of the choice being that if we ever lose our item, it will affect our standing with followers and cohorts by more than just the mathematical loss of leadership score, akin to betraying a friend with a "false" image of you.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
VERY hidden tidbit on page 104 of the DMG... There is no limit to the number of cohorts a character can have. I don't *understand* this idea, considering how the number of followers you can have is very set, but it's right there, buried but plainly and deliberately written, 2nd paragraph in the Cohorts section.

Feats that increase leadership have already been given here...

In my particular campaign, we're given the option by the DM whether or not we wish our charisma affecting items to increase our leadership score. The crux of the choice being that if we ever lose our item, it will affect our standing with followers and cohorts by more than just the mathematical loss of leadership score, akin to betraying a friend with a "false" image of you.
I think that you're right by a direct reading in answering the OP's question, but I think this is a case of poor use of terms in the DMG and "Cohort" does not mean the same thing here as it does under the leadership feat.
While the Leadership feat Cohort is a subservant but trusted ally, this page 104 reference to a Cohort appears to be more of a "hireling", more of an NPC with a relational connection to the PC's than a second character the PC can make use of.
But yes, there is no limit to these cohorts. One you gain by your charming personality that comes with the feat, the rest you get from your purse-strings or by some other means.

Sekhmet

First Post
To be clear, it also suggests you should pay the cohort you receive via Leadership as well (it takes one half regular treasure). With no limit to the number of cohorts you can take, you're going to run out of available treasure and end up having to out of pocket it.

Faust970

First Post
A few more suggestions to to increase your leadership.

- Breastplate of Command gives a +2 competence bonus to your leadership score.

- PrC classes Guild Thief (FRC) & Shadow Thief of Amn (PGtF) give you a +3 to Leadership over 5 levels; although as you may have guessed those are Rouge PrC.

I'm not much of a fighter guy so I'm not familiar with their PrC but I'd be surprised if they don't have PrC with Leadership bennies as well.

Later,
-Faust

Remove ads