• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 PVP Big Battle Going on soon! Need help! :)

Skead

First Post
Hi all,

As the title says my DM announced a PVP battle in a few days.

He is allowing us max level 15, +20% gold of a level 15.
Books: PH1, DMG, Song and Silence, Masters of the Wild, Defenders of the Faith, Sword and Fist, Complete Arcane.

I'm having a hard time choosing a build, was hoping you could help.

He said he would make an exception to allow my Barbarian Half-Orc (with Pounce :D ) to the battle and on top of that, even allow him to be a Frenzied Berserker.

The arena is medium sized and with no real roof. So I'd need a way to deal with casters / flyers. Aerial Mounts are allowed.

My question is: Is there a better choice for class than the FB?
and can I shoot a bow while frenzied (and chug potions?)

Any questions you have let me know :)

Darklone

Looks like a wild mix of 3.0 and 3.5.... Halforc frenzied berserker with pounce? You don't need our help, your buddies need help.

Level 15 should allow you to buy wings of flying or something similar... with your speed, no problem to charge the fliers ... unleash a full attack... and they are dead. For additional smack: 2 levels barbarian, 5 scout, get Improved Skirmish and then head for frenzied berserker. A full attack action with +4d6 skirmish damage on each attack is nice. In that case, you might even think about TWF ... though Power Attack 3.5 and a twohanded weapon would be better.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Odd assortment of books for a 3.5 game...

how are you getting pounce? Did he just allow the Lion Totem from C.Champion (ie, you lost fast movement)? This may matter for selecting variants and alternate class features.

I think you can shoot and drink potions while in frenzy, it's something you should check with the DM. Some have very strict FB rulings where you MUST attack and engage in combat nonstop, others don't.

For race...orc is just plain better than half-orc, i'd recommend that instead. :) Wood Elf, Human, and Dwarf are other good core choices.

To go with your delicious pounce, I recommend taking Whirling Frenzy instead of rage, if the source is allowed (UA, and online SRD) Class Feature Variants :: d20srd.org
Note you can flurry with ANY weapon as written...even a bow! My last Barb actually did that once or twice.

To deal with flyers...just buy an item, really. DMG has the boots which are likely enough to cover some duels. You may want to ask to pay more for a higher caster level, to make such an important item harder to dispel (those d4 rounds could be killer). Might want to ask to do this for any item you deem critical to fight a caster with.

FB is probably the best class togo into as a Barbarian, if that's your question. The best class to choose overall would be a wizard, druid, sorc, or cleric, but I'm sure you knew that. :)

Oh...one last piece of advice, iirc: The Defenders of the Faith has an item called armor of speed or some such. It basically gives you constant Haste for only +3 market price. Needless to say, it's stupidly broken and you should make sure to acquire it.

Skead

First Post
Yeah, he allowed me to drop my Movement Speed increase for pounce.
For the Race not sure if he'd allow me to be a full on orc, he likes the core races. :(

I'm thinking of concentrating on lots of life so I can soak a lot of damage from the casters before the dust me with Disintegrate. So pump a lot into Con and maybe use some Spike Chains for Range after popping an Enlarge Person Pot.

I was thinking...

1 - Barbarian - Destructive Rage
2 - Fighter - Power Attack
3 - Fighter - Cleave, Intimidating Rage
4 - Fighter -
5 - Figther - Weapon Spec, Spiked Chain
6 - Barbarian - ? Feat
7 - FrB -
8 - FrB -
9 - FrB -
10 - FrB -
11 - FrB -
12 - ?
13 - ?
14 - ?
15 - ?

And items I'll just get lots of healing potions, maybe some fly, see invis, and enlarge, etc. Ontop of a good weapon and LOTS of con / str and will. I do have 240,000 gold to work with :p

any suggestions for the last 4 classes?

s-dub

First Post
I'm worried about your mobility. Even with a flying mount you'll still need a way to overcome invisibility and possibly etherealness. If you enter a frenzy due to damage taken before you're ready, you're pretty much stuck:

"While frenzied, the character cannot use skills or abilities that require patience or concentration (such as Move Silently), nor can she cast spells, drink potions, activate magic items, or read scrolls. "

Also, despite the bonus to will saves you are still very weak against will save or die spells.

Skead

First Post
Halforc frenzied berserker with pounce? You don't need our help, your buddies need help.

Uhh apparently you're absolutely correct. There was 3 fights total for solo, first fight was over in two rounds 4 attacks, 2 crits and 2 hits 15 into improved powerr attack...

Second fight was done in the first (technically) round cause I won initiative and decided to Eye of Grummsh Spit in his face, and slew him second round.

Third fight was verus a sick fighter build that decided to give up cause he couldn't outlast my Frenzy / Rage. Even though he had me at negative 100 or so :p

moritheil

First Post
I'm glad to see you did well. My overall concern would have been that at 15th level there are plenty of ways to kill you without dropping your hit points to -10. Fortunately, none of your enemies went for those.

green slime

First Post
I'm actually really surprised you survived. The FB is such an obvious choice in such a game, and its archilles heel is well known.

Were the encounters one-on-one or were they against multiple opponents? It sounds like they were vs a single opponent each time.

Remove ads